1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The turd of the year thread!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Horrux, Dec 18, 2011.

1. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    Lol @ kids that buy rage and cod4.4 then cryed about this. Rage was just as bad as brink.
  2. JustaTinkerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im just not getting this...what do you mean bud?... no insult meant just dont follow
  3. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Modern Warfare 3
  4. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I enjoyed it. It's nowhere near the bottom of the pile for me.

Duke Nukem gets my vote for worst game of the year.
  5. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Bulldozer Epic fail ! Even though it is not a game still ranks up there for me .
  6. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    I liked the SP of Homefront, except for the very stupid AI.

However, and that's a big however, they took out everything that made Frontlines a good and original shooter. I abhor Homefront's shooting mechanics, which seem worse in multiplayer, and that's where I feel the game was a huge letdown. The shooting mechanics just made this shooter completely un-fun to me... AND I had pre-ordered 2 copies, on the grounds of having liked Frontlines. :(

Both Brink and Homefront were games for which I pre-purchased 2 copies and were a letdown to me. So they sting a lot more than Rage, which I wasn't confident enough in to even consider pre-purchasing. So I didn't get burnt on that one, for example.
  7. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    How predictable that everyone said DNF.

But I'm the one that stands out from the crowd and says that it was Deus Ex.
  8. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    May I ask what you didn't like about it?
  9. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    If you really want to stand out from the crowd, you'll say "Skyrim".
  10. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Crysis 2 SP is pretty good...Specially since I got it for $5....
    Fallout New Vegas...Sucks sweaty monkey balls.
  11. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I think I just don't really care much for FPS games anymore.
  12. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Until Valve sez Half-Life 3.
    theJesus says thanks.
  13. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I think that's because they all seem like the same game....

Personally I'd like to see a new Wing Commander game with a modern Physics engine with a CoD like FPS incorporated into the game along with mini puzzle's like Mass Effect and personalized upgrade options with a great single player game and the MP WoW quest style and quick action battle like CoD for both the flying and fps parts of the game.
    theJesus says thanks.
  14. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    still enjoying old school Serious Sam 3 BFE tho lol.
  15. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have to say Rage and Crysis 2.

Rage disappointed me because the graphics when maxed out where nothing to write home about. The game also seemed small for ~ 20 GB.

Crysis 2 disappointed me because I fail to understand how Crysis: Warhead shipped with DX10 and Crysis 2 shipped with DX9.
  16. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    so its all about graphics...?
  17. STCNE

STCNE New Member

Thanks Received:
    Skyrim,
    They released 3 game breaking patches in a row. Every time I had just about gotten the game running again a new patch came out and performance tanked. The latest patch has stopped the game from launching for me. Lots of other fails this year, but I haven't bought many games this year. And before anyone asks, its not a pirate copy. I had a retail copy, have since returned it to amazon.
  18. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I don't see the hate behind Duke Nukem Forever. I really did enjoy the game, it was old school fun, not worth the wait, but still decent.
  19. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    July 27th, 2011. The turd that was generated that day was following a night of gorging on whatever I felt like eating (and I ate a lot), burgers, pizza, pizza rolls, probably some tater tots thrown in for good measure and very likely a can of corned beef hash. Lots of Coca-Cola too.

It was a monster.
  20. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    This post is in the "GAMES" section, not the "Toilet" one... Clue...
  21. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    It was boring and repetitive. A lot of backtracking, uninteresting quests and dialogs that contain 50 000 sentences about absolutely nothing. It didn't beat original, not even close. Plus they used a lot of ideas which they took from original and just remade: streets, sewers, China, helicopter (they just changed Jock to Malik). Characters and plot were weak. And if HR happened before then how come that world looked more modern than in original game. I didn't like the main protagonist and voice acting wasn't good either. Atmosphere and design weren't immersive. But there were some interesting improvements: new augmentations, new hacking system, weapon upgrades, new abilities. They could've done it better because it wasn't ground breaking. I hope Deus Ex 4 will be much better and innovative, because HR has zero replay value for me, I didn't find there anything new. On the contrary they just removed swimming but added regeneration :rolleyes:

I'd also like to say a couple of words about Duke Nukem Forever. I enjoyed it a lot. I haven't played stable and bug free game like this for a long long time. And it was good ol' Duke with his jokes. I don't see what people expected from this game. Devs delivered everything they promised. Kick ass action and lots of fun. Puzzles, driving, underwater sections, big bosses, chicks, explosions. This game has everything it needs. Everyone who found DNF offensive should have found original offensive as well. It only means that Duke Nukem is just not their game. DNF was meant to be a direct sequel to DN3D and it is. It is short but still fun and has a good replay value. I never cared for those asshole magazines with their copy paste reviews, so they can just suck it.
  22. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Actually Human Revolution was done as it was intentionally to bring back the good old memories. And they did a great job imo considering they targeted broader audience. As before i liked the China the most. Though i agree the endings should be more than just similar video clips with different narration and certain things could be done better. And i wish the game was simply longer as i never want such good games to end.

Turds of the year:
    Duke Nukem Forever (we all expected more and with 2 weapons only they really sacked it)
    Crysis 2 (buggy as hell, we didn't get DX11 out of the box as promised and multiplayer was super pathetic, single player could be so much more but they didn't make it)
  23. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Yeah Duke Nukem Forever would get my vote.
    I can not remember if it was made from scratch again or if it was just picked up from where it was left off though.

Either way a great publisher/developer has the franchise now and I can only imagine the next Duke Nukem to be something much better than what Forever was.

Duke Nukem Forever felt like it was made to run within the restraints of an old PC yet the coding made it run like a dog on newer machines..
    It reminded me of DOOM 3 to be honest.
    Very linear.
  24. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    The point of real shooter is "kill 'em all". You just kill things. It doesn't need to have some complex topology. All Dooms, Quakes, Unreals etc are linear. Does it make them bad? It doesn't. Run and gun games are all about that. You enter the room, kill everything that moves, gib everything that doesn't and you leave.

If people don't like linearity then why everyone plays all those cod, bf or whatever they're called. :confused: Running in circles in arena and killing things ain't rocket science.
  25. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    So was Bioshock but I didn't get that feeling of old skool DOOM 3 linearity.

It was enough for me to say "Hey this was a good game" rather than be reminded of something which was released a long time ago.