• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The unknown future of PC gaming....

System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
What are you talking about man. There was some joking going around but no one was insulting to each other. If you have an issue you should report it.

I mean an example would be me vs. bumblebee and HookeyStreet. I mess with them and they mess with me. But its nothing personal. I mean really all we are talking about here is video games. Its not like we are saving the planet or anything.
Its a cultural gap thing

KyleReese

System Name Skynet
Processor Core2Duo E6850 OC to 3.6GHz (stock voltage)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA -P35-DQ6 rev. 1.0
Cooling Coolermaster V8
Memory 2 x 2GB DDR2 Corsair XMS 800MHz Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Gainward Golden Sample nVidia GTX 560Ti
Storage 2 WD 320GB in Raid 0, 1 WD 250GB, 1 TB Samsung F1, 1 TB WD Green
Display(s) Samsung Touch of Color Symcmaster T260 (25,5")
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 Value
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Ha ha when I started this thread I never imagined it would get so irrelevant from my original post! I 've seen everything in here, from fighting matches videos to cheesecakes!! :laugh: it's got to be one of the most derailed threads here at TPU! :D
My question wasn't whether PC gaming is dying or not, I refuse to believe that. Although I believe that it somehow lost some of its quality as a form of entertainment in human culture. What I mean by that is, 15 years ago I thought, with the progress in technology, we would see games that would rival e.g. good movies in terms of cultural impact, that people who are not into videogames would never say "they are just for teenagers, mostly" anymore. But it didn't happen.
From the looks of things seems PC gaming isn't dying, it's just following in the footsteps of consoles for now....(unfortunately!) But I, personally , am still waiting for that WOW factor again..that special feeling...that which I felt when I started playing games on the PC 16 years ago... :)

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Motherboard ASRock X99 Taichi
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage SSD + Misc. HDDs in DrivePool
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U, Samsung C32HG70
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Deck Legend Ice Tactile
Software Win10
Ha ha when I started this thread I never imagined it would get so irrelevant from my original post! I 've seen everything in here, from fighting matches videos to cheesecakes!! :laugh: it's got to be one of the most derailed threads here at TPU! :D
My question wasn't whether PC gaming is dying or not, I refuse to believe that. Although I believe that it somehow lost some of its quality as a form of entertainment in human culture. What I mean by that is, 15 years ago I thought, with the progress in technology, we would see games that would rival e.g. good movies in terms of cultural impact, that people who are not into videogames would never say "they are just for teenagers, mostly" anymore. But it didn't happen.
From the looks of things seems PC gaming isn't dying, it's just following in the footsteps of consoles for now....(unfortunately!) But I, personally , am still waiting for that WOW factor again..that special feeling...that which I felt when I started playing games on the PC 16 years ago... :)

I think PC gaming has a larger cultural impact than we give it credit for. It's not always direct and it's often subtle, but it's there and with time it will become more concrete and pervasive. More people are playing video games (and the average age of players is going up fast) every day. The content of the games themselves is evolving and new genres are being created while others are being blended into hybrid games, every couple years (which isn't that long given the time it takes a studio to develop a good game ... e.g. consider Fallout 3). Lastly, in this age of HD audio and video, and in which everyone seems to be a storyline critic and "realism" aficionado, I wouldn't expect much impact from non-immersive games; at the same time, really immersive gaming is sometimes limited by hardware or economic restrictions.

Let's encourage developers and publishers to put out great games by voting with our wallets, and through discussions like this. Meanwhile, patience.

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium

don't be dogging cheesecake.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!

I will have you know that was some high quality MMA (Anderson Silva Vs Forrest Griffin) :D

System Name Classy Gal
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1070 FE
Storage 2x120GB Vertex 3 - 1x1TB WD
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Titanium HD
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 750W
Software Win10 / Linux Mint
As i already stated, console gaming (hardcore) is prone (if not more) to die, because there are more console casual gamers than PC casual gamer.

Ex Sony Exec: "At the current rate of hardware refreshes, tablets could easily replace consoles, both handheld and mainstream."

sauce: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iPad-2-Sony-NGP-Honeycomb-Nintendo-3DS-XOOM,news-10471.html

And this:

Because of the quake, Sony's shares are down, and this is far from over. What if Sony have to restructure the company and delay even more the PS4 or cancel it. All this is hypothetical, but what i mean is that consoles have one manufacturer, because of this they are tied to the fate of that company, PC on the other hand have multiple manufacturers, if one disappear, another takes it place.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
As i already stated, console gaming (hardcore) is prone (if not more) to die, because there are more console casual gamers than PC casual gamer.
you've apparently never heard of facebook or flash.

Ex Sony Exec: "At the current rate of hardware refreshes, tablets could easily replace consoles, both handheld and mainstream."

sauce: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iPad-2-Sony-NGP-Honeycomb-Nintendo-3DS-XOOM,news-10471.html
don't buy it at this point tablets are just phones with larger screens. For the same cost of a tablet where 1 person can play 4 can play on a console. not to mention the fact that current gen consoles will kick the xoom's/ipad's ass in graphics power. That's 5 year old console vs 2 week old tablet

I just don't see tablets taking over that market. they're completly different in purpose. now if you were to say tablets vs handheld games, maybe. but even then sony and nintendo have the edge on those markets with slews of titles for them.

System Name Classy Gal
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1070 FE
Storage 2x120GB Vertex 3 - 1x1TB WD
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Titanium HD
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 750W
Software Win10 / Linux Mint
you've apparently never heard of facebook or flash.

Yes i do, but (maybe not in this forum) console gamers don't see them as real gaming, it seems all that matter are AAA games. Because of that they claim consoles have more exclusives titles http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AriQpIFbPoEacGM1b0xxcGVucFQ3OFc4N3BNZmd2QkE&gid=0

don't buy it at this point tablets are just phones with larger screens. For the same cost of a tablet where 1 person can play 4 can play on a console. not to mention the fact that current gen consoles will kick the xoom's/ipad's ass in graphics power. That's 5 year old console vs 2 week old tablet

I just don't see tablets taking over that market. they're completly different in purpose. now if you were to say tablets vs handheld games, maybe. but even then sony and nintendo have the edge on those markets with slews of titles for them.

The post is about PC gaming dying, and that's not going to happen in a year or two, ( if it happens at all) the same as tablets (or phones) won't take over the market in a year or two. Of course that hardcore gamers won't play on tablets, but some casual gamers will choose a tablet, a phone, or onlive over a console.

"not to mention the fact that current gen consoles will kick the xoom's/ipad's ass in graphics power. That's 5 year old console vs 2 week old tablet"

If graphics were that important, people would choose a PC.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
The future of gaming in itself is going to go downhill if these lazy devs keep going they way they are. There hasnt been an innovated game for a long time!!!

I really dont like how the gaming industry and basically everything else has become all about money rather then the quality, if you guys know what i mean. Like look at Activision and CoD. that series is the money cow for Activision and they havent released a single game that is at any degree different in gameplay/mechanics, graphics, etc. then CoD and they are still releasing the games at the full $60

Last edited:
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
The future of gaming in itself is going to go downhill if these lazy devs keep going they way they are. There hasnt been an innovated game for a long time!!!

I really dont like how the gaming industry and basically everything else has become all about money rather then the quality, if you guys know what i mean. Like look at Activision and CoD. that series is the money cow for Activision and they havent released a single game that is at any degree different in gameplay/mechanics, graphics, etc. then CoD and they are still releasing the games at the full $60

it's always been like that.

There were several reasons for the crash, but the main cause was supersaturation of the market with hundreds of mostly low-quality games which resulted in the loss of consumer confidence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_video_game_crash_of_1983

System Name Blue Beast 2.0
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling EK EK-AIO 360 D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra Gaming Hybrid
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 500GB NVME, Western Digital SN750 1TB NVME, Western Digital SN850 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC AG271QG, Dell UltraSharp U2414H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic - Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DGX PCI-E 5.1
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO
Keyboard Corsair Strafe MK.2 Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Not sure if anyone has linked this already:

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/1578/article/microsoft-shares-its-vision-of-the-future-of-pc-gaming/

Quite a dim future in my opinion.

Well Microsoft isn't the end all be all developer for PC games. As long as we have solid developers that continue to make great games while managing to avoid creating generic, casual and mundane looking online communities like Microsoft is trying to do then i see no reason to worry really.

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
Not sure if anyone has linked this already:

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/1578/article/microsoft-shares-its-vision-of-the-future-of-pc-gaming/

Quite a dim future in my opinion.