• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The unknown future of PC gaming....

W

wahdangun

I think that consoles will dissapear after the next generation or this one if they don't release a new one soon. Wireless display technologies as a mainstream solution are just around the corner so we are going to be able t see our PC in any screen on the house. The integrated graphics are going to get better and better to the point were they will be able to produce graphics that are good enough for most people except enthusiasts and on the CPU side of things they are already powerful enough to drive advanced games, 6 cores will be mainstream soon and anything more than that overkill for what we now know as gaming. Even smartphones will be powerful enough for most people (and remember that you would be able to wirelessly output to the TV and have any wireless device as an input for the phone too).

Then there's Windows 8 for ARM that will open up the door to Windows gaming on portable devices, etc.

Enthusiasts will always want more and that can only come from advanced PCs and that will stay, but consoles which are something in the middle will just dissapear IMO. If anything Sony's and M$'s consoles division will morph into PC OEM companies dedicated to creating PCs (taking into account the new definition for PC, which includes tblets, phones and who knows what comes next).

So, there will be the mainstream market, which will play from Facebook and the like in their basic computers (for the time), maybe even tablets or smartphones, except those games are going to be far more advanced than current consoles anyway.

And there will be the enthusiast PC market driving innovation. I don't see a place for consoles in the middle of those markets. Everyone needs a PC and if the basic PCs have all the functionality of a console and are just good enough for gaming, I don't see any market for consoles.

So where does that leave PC gaming? Well here is more hoping than based on facts, but I think that once the enthusiast and mainstream gaming markets belong to the same platform, developers will find a way to make games better scale between mainstream solutions and enthusiast PCs, considering that the OS, APIs and underlying hardware are the same.

Game companies like Zynga and Popcap are already making more money than "standard" companies. PC gaming is here to stay, while consoles fade away, the only question is if enthusiast PC gaming stays, and I do think it will stay at least for another 10 or 20 years, or until games are completely realistic (holodeck), whatever comes first.;)

yeah good point, especially after seeing sony move on playstation phone certificate maybe some day there will be a Playsation PC certificate lol

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I mostly plays mod, such as MWLL, Neotokyo, Dystopia and stuff like Red Orchestra. Doubt I will see any of them on console.

you played Neotokyo too? :D so did i for a short while

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M Gaming rev 1.0
Cooling Snowman, arctic p12 x2 fans
Memory 16x2 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Pro
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Storage 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 Crucial P3 Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 4TB WD RED HDD
Display(s) HP Omen 34c (34" monitor 3440x1440 165Hz VA panel)
Case Zalman S2
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech pro superlight, mx mouse s3, Razer Basiliskx with battery
Keyboard Custom mechanical keyboard tm680
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores 70-80 fps 3440x1440 on cyberpunk 2077 max settings
The worst thing here is that i like much more this prince of persia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz6yYVLXqnI
than this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxzZ4JBoGok&feature=fvst
Or this Tomb Raider here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyW3-cCdc0Y
than this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoB7Wa48oDs
Because now the video games are made even for STUPID people.
Even they can play them and buy them that is the important point
I really miss the old games and they will never come back for sure
Also if dragon age origins is an epic game nowadays than you surely have not played
the great old vagrant story:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU_GbSQxMDc
They killed vagrant story in order to achieve its money from final fantasy
The second one is just a dream:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuxSGvFTHeE

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Yay it's that time of the month again and another "What wil happen tp PC gmaing" thread :rolleyes:

Seriously these are coming up on a monthly basis and have been doing since I have been member here and a long time before. If anything PC gaming is on the up not on the decline. But I suppose we have to have something to fill the forums up with stuff for people to debate even if it is the same old crap :laugh:

Yes PC games are not the same as they where, nor are bloody console games for crying out loud if you want old games go download dosbox or a few emulators and reminisce until your hearts content, heck I still play emu's and have great fun doing so, though still love a lot of modern PC games that a) look a shit load better on the pc than any console games and b) have dedicated servers/mod support etc. There are still good pc titles out there, just cause all of them are not good and there are console ports and shitty games about doesn't mean the end of pc gaming :banghead:

/topic

BTW never mind the end of the pc gaming industry its 2012 next year, you should be more worried about the world imploding and taking you with it ;) :laugh:

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
Yeah, there is still cash to be made from PC gaming. But console gaming is bigger right now. BTW, I'm not trying to defend console gaming or anything. I used to love PC gaming!
auto

LOL :roll:

traitor:cry:

Gotta Agree Aleks a good example is what happened to FF on the consoles all you have to do is hit autobattle to win for half the game and then watch a scene,

if the world blows up, at least consoles will be gone too . . . . . lol

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I never believed this theory that PC gaming is dead. It's something that is always brought up without looking at the history of video games. Check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_consoles

Game consoles have been around just as long as PC's have been around. Console games have been made as console games just as long.

System Name HOMECOMPUTER
Processor Intel i9 - 9900k @ 5.1Ghz - 1.31v
Motherboard Asux ROG Maximus XI Hero Wifi
Cooling ek supremacy evo full nickle, 2xEK 360 Radiators, ek d5 pump/res combo, ek full cover 2080ti block
Memory 16GB DDR 3600 Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2080TI
Storage 1xWD black NVME 500GB, 1xSamsung 970 Evo Plus NVME 1TB
Display(s) 2 Dell Gaming 27" 1440P Gsync
Case Lian LI PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Evga P2 1200Watt
Mouse Zowie FK1+
Keyboard Corsair Strafe rgb silent
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i'm working on that
more money is the name of the game for game developers.. consoles bring in more money thus they get dibs on games, we still get the games often with equal or better quality than our console counterparts. We also get things like a huge mod community(natural mod for crysis) that make some games we get absolutely incredible. MMO's are another big pc venture, it's nice having those for the pc and they'll probably stay with the pc for some time. I have no problem with consoles getting first dibs on development time, i'd rather have the game later or with slightly less quality than not at all.

Benetanegia

more money is the name of the game for game developers.. consoles bring in more money

That is not true. It's not inherently true, they made it be that way, and for the fact that stupid console gamers were always willing to pay $10-15 more for the same game and pay full price for what is essentially an expansion. The average PC gamer is more mature and wise than the average console gamer and I guess that's what they hate. Pure marketing and no talent works perfectly on consoles where they can sell garbage just because it was announced on TV, but for the PC they have to create a good game or it will not sell as well and it will only sell for as much as it's worth. That is what publishers hate, not how many copies they can sell. Ptentially they can sell much more on the PC and in fact PC games used to outsell most of third party console games in the past. It's the same in the movie and music industry, they don't want to base their sales on actual talent, because finding and retaining talented people is difficult and they can go away as soon as they realize the publisher is simply stealing from them. They want people and products they can just market on the TV and replace them when they start asking for too much, etc. In fact forget about the people, they're not people they are products too.

Make a game be worthwhile for the PC and it will sell just as well as on consoles. But the fact is that there's litterally only 10(?) games worthwhile for PCs in the last 5 years? How can anyone conclude that games sell more on consoles than on PC if you have never created a PC game to begin with? A console game will obviously sell more on consoles. No one wants to emulate console games on our PCs and that's what we get... (i.e. Left and right weapon slots on Bulletstorm WTF?)

Also when will they include digital sales? Last year 50% of PC sales were digital.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
I think there is no way strategy games will be better in consoles unless they actually use keyboard and mouse, and there is always the casual crowd (read: Farmville) which will not allow PC gaming to die (in an ironic sense, probably).

Personally, I think there is still plenty of life in PC games, while its days as THE gaming platform is gone, it does not mean that its on its way out anytime soon. I think its appropriate to quote Arnie: "Ill be back"

D

Deleted member 67555

I still remember thinking Pc gaming was over when EA bought Origin.....in 1992
Worst mistake in the History of PC gaming....If Chris Roberts wouldn't have sold EA would be nothing more than small foot note...

Wing Commander was the PC cash cow from 1990-1998

System Name Frankenstein v7
Processor Intel i7 2600K (@ stock)
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB DDR3 @ 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 7870 WindForce 2GB
Storage Samsung F3 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S24C750
Case Antec P280
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 7 Pro - 64-bit
It may be pertinent to point out here, that the original question by the OP wasn't about the death of gaming on PCs, but if there was anything revolutionary going to happen regarding games on the PC - games that truly stand out and make a real difference to the junk we've been exposed to lately..

D

Deleted member 67555

Of course that will happen but it wont be anything your expecting or maybe it will...Such as 3D gaming on a PC with the Kinect....

System Name Frankenstein v7
Processor Intel i7 2600K (@ stock)
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB DDR3 @ 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 7870 WindForce 2GB
Storage Samsung F3 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S24C750
Case Antec P280
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 7 Pro - 64-bit
I doubt 3D will add anything other than eye-candy though..

D

Deleted member 67555

See I think part of the problem is people aren't seeing the advances anymore because thet are jaded...

Take Black Ops...The mechanics of that game are 3x more advanced than that of MW1 but MW1 gave us such a better Multiplayer experience....Both imo opinion make the game but nobody seems to notice those kind of advances....We may not being seeing the next evolution in just ONE game but we are seeing it in every new title

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
Something else that should be mentioned is that designing games for consoles is easier. It's easier from the perspective that you have a fixed hardware, there are no variations unlike on the PC side. You know exactly how much memory you'll have to work with, how much cpu and GPU horsepower you have. There is a limited number of things that can go wrong and your testing phases will be much shorter. On the PC side you have to test for two graphics vendors, you have to test with different hardware combinations, then with different software combinations then with a mix of both and ton top of that you'll need to invest more time into developing "redundant" things like advanced graphic settings, higher quality textures, variable LOD, etc. :]
So if you're game studio looking for the shortest way to cash in, you'll develop for consoles first and maaybe for pc afterwards.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Smartphones and tablets are going to ruin console gaming. Just sayin'.

Processor W3520 Xeon
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Storage 60Gb Vertex II 500Gb storage
Display(s) LG 42LH40 42" 1080P
Case 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) Voices in my head
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.

I disagree... i see those as extensions for PC games like farmville and similar. A lot of people will bitch about me saying this but Farmville brought a lot of people to the PC gaming market and got them spending money. Smart phones is jst how you play when your not at home kinda like the gameboy. People still bought Nintendo's they jst wanted portable too.:p

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I disagree... i see those as extensions for PC games like farmville and similar. A lot of people will bitch about me saying this but Farmville brought a lot of people to the PC gaming market and got them spending money. Smart phones is jst how you play when your not at home kinda like the gameboy. People still bought Nintendo's they jst wanted portable too.:p

It was more of a joke against a lame argument to begin with. ;)

System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX, 3 x NZXT FN 140mm, 1x NZXT FV V2 120mm
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 290 DCII-OC 4GB
Storage corsair mp600 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MB85Z 27" 1440p
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Thermaltake 675w
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit
it will take years for that to happen i mean unless your in a place like korea where fast internet is cheap and is basically the same "quality" throughout many isp's its not really good, like If I use onlive at my house where i have decent internet here in the us i get a decent experience, a little lag, go to my brothers house in texas and his broadband is horrible,and its like that for alot of the isp's he can get.

i don't know how it is in the uk but I expect its better right

broadband in the uk has 2 options

ADSL: speed depends mainly on how close you are to the exchange, people in countrysides usually get less then 2mbs, towns and cities get 2-8mbs (real speeds not advertised)

about 45% in uk can get cable and then it varies between 20-100mbs

government paid for bt infinity which means number who can get cable is slowly growing

Last edited:
System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M Gaming rev 1.0
Cooling Snowman, arctic p12 x2 fans
Memory 16x2 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Pro
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Storage 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 Crucial P3 Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 4TB WD RED HDD
Display(s) HP Omen 34c (34" monitor 3440x1440 165Hz VA panel)
Case Zalman S2
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech pro superlight, mx mouse s3, Razer Basiliskx with battery
Keyboard Custom mechanical keyboard tm680
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores 70-80 fps 3440x1440 on cyberpunk 2077 max settings

PC's are going to run console games. Consoles will never run PC games....
I don't mean games which are for both

T

TAViX

The future of PC gaming should focus more on the story. I don't care if it's a port or not, as long as it have a beautiful story line and gameplay. Mass Effect 1+2 is an example. Other games with awesome stories I don't know recently. Maybe Crysis... I used to love older games with crappy graphics (by today standards) but awesome story like Descent Freespace, DeusEx, Max Payne, Longest Journey, etc, etc, etc.....I want to see more of that now or in the future please.

System Name Jaffakeik
Processor I9 12900K
Motherboard MSI Pro B660M-A WIFI DDR4
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II High Performance CPU Water cooler- 240mm
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3600
Video Card(s) 7900XTX gigabyte OC edition
Storage WD Black SN770 1TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME x2
Display(s) TV LG C2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 Full Tower Case Tempered
Audio Device(s) Mother board + Sennhiser HD650+ Elgato wave xlr + shure SM7B
Power Supply EVGA 1600w G+
Mouse Glorious Model 0
Keyboard Corsair RBG mini K65 + Steelseries Apex150
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores over 9000
The game future is one big R.I.P.
Because nothing lasts forever.

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
The game future is one big R.I.P.
Because nothing lasts forever.

Except Chuck Norris. He doesn't wear a watch - HE DECIDED what time it is.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
FPS on pc is dying..

Strategy, Sims, Sports management ETC.. just dont work as well on a console platform

Which is fine with me