1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Vaio build.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by aven000, Aug 23, 2014.

1. aven000

aven000

Thanks Received:
    Well As the 'Retro Pentium 4' is coming to an end I have decided to start a new light project until my next crazy build.

I give you the Sony Vaio VGN-BX296VP.

20140823_203838716_iOS.jpg

So my sister in law gifted this pile of rubbish to me in the hopes I would sell it on her behalf but instead I gave her some cash and decided to upgrade my 2nd laptop from my old Dell Inspiron 2200 that I maxed out as it was limited and I needed a slightly more powerful GPU.

The current spec's are:
    • Intel Pentium M 1.73ghz
    • 512MB of DDR2-PC3200
    • Intel 915m Mobile GPU
    • 100GB Hard Drive (Samsung if memory serves)

Now this is quite bad but it has some plus points over my old Dell:
    1. It's not a Dell
    2. The speakers are quite good
    3. All manner of switches/ports and other good things to keep me entertained and find new ways of jabbing pens into it
    4. Bio-metric fingerprint reader (fun times ahead!)
    5. Lovely 15.4" screen
    6. faster wifi
    7. It's own charger, where as my Dell was a scrounger and kept having to borrow my Toshiba C50's
    This system will be used mostly for software I want to try out before adding it to my main system, and other things I just don't want to do on any system I care about. This is mostly for 'Dog Work'.

I'll also be using this to play XP and older games that I normally play on the Retro P4 but it's so I can take them with me.

So what will I be adding?

A new CPU that's for damn sure as this thing is hell to use. I'll be adding 2GB of DDR2-PC4600 as that is the fastest it will take due to the 533mhz FSB. A bigger Hard drive will be added and a damn good clean up.

So, let's see how far this goes.

20140823_203838716_iOS.jpg

Attached Files:

2. dhdude

Thanks Received:
    I think you may struggle to find any faster cpus for that socket 479; Dothan-based Pentium Ms maxed out not much higher than that ~2ghz. I'd recommend a faster disk for it though, maybe a newer, 7200rpm drive? Or an SSD? It may be bottlenecked but it'll still improve the responsiveness!

3. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received: