• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The way to kick condensation's ass!

I understand that there are some things man was not meant to explore.

But that doesn't apply to me, so I do all kinds of unwise experiments that no one would do if they have common sense. Fortunately, I don't have any of that, either, so I tried to freeze my CPU solid with a 420-watt industrial TEC. That project is still in the works, even after melting a water pump.

Besides the pump, another mistake I made was condensation. Yes, I packed the processor in silicone goop, which worked great. But it got so VERY cold that the ass side of the motherboard froze (as in, "it had frost on it"). Water condensed, and the board and CPU shorted.

But I'm back in the saddle now, and I learned how to seal an entire MB. They sell spray to waterproof circuit boards, but it is horrendously expensive. However, I figured that cheap silicone waterproofing spray from the hardware store would work just as good.

I also figured that it would lead to yet another one of my experimental disasters, probably because the acetic acid generated while the sealant cures would etch the electronics to death. But I knew that at least the house wouldn't burn down this time. (I saw how Kirk shot the Gorn, so I stole saltpeter and sulfur from the middle school lab, and ground it up with aquarium charcoal. I imagine a lot of kids did, except I was the kid who decided to ignite it where my psychotic mom wouldn't see me — in the dry old attic. I didn't know the mixture had to be pressurized (in which case, I would have built a pipe bomb), so it only fizzed and flared like a cheap fireworks. I just barely managed to put out the fire.)

To make a long story short, you can waterproof your motherboard with cheap silicone spray. But use two coats, and make sure to put tape over all the slots, heat sinks, and anything that gets hot (like the voltage regulator array).

-faye

System Name Zotan
Processor i9-10850K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X AX
Cooling H100
Memory 32GB Viper 3200
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080
Case Airflow 275R
Power Supply RMX850
Benchmark Scores d1nky@hwbot.org
Liquid electrical tape would work just as good for probably less, and no or little adverse effects.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
a couple of coats of clear lacquer should work as well. but dont think its been done before. Just get a large tub of vaseline and a spoon :p

do it when the humidity is lowest ar around 2-3pm in the afternoon.