1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by AsRock, Nov 19, 2010.

1. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    This game is hard but Demon's Souls is harder IMO.

Have you guys been using your attribute points as you level? You can add points to one of the skills that allows you to block sword attacks from different angles. Or even deflect arrows back to people that fire them...So far I've used around 6 attribute points.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    Regular monsters are not much of a challenge but bosses are still not that easy to deal with. I'm fighting the boss for Chapter 2 right now and after 10 attempts I'm ready for a break.

What level is everyone character so far. Im at 23 right now.

3. X800

X800

Thanks Received:
    If experience craches to desktop while playing ,you should try this :Enabling 3GB switch on Windows Vista™ or Windows 7
    You want to enable the 3GB switch on the Windows Vista™ or Windows 7 operating systems.
    To enable the 3GB switch on Windows Vista™ or Windows 7:
    Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
    At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072"
    Restart the computer.
    To disable the 3GB switch:
    Right-click on Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
    At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa"
    Restart the computer.
    For more information on the 3GB switch, refer to the following Microsoft MSDN article:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff556232.aspx
    it fixed my crashing issues.This is not for vista/win7 64bit

4. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I told him that too :laugh:

Its funny how NPCs think you're some sort of superhuman who can run along walls and kill 20 guards in a blink of an eye when you're really not.

Lionheart says thanks.
  5. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    I think I'm just gonna get a boxed copy from Amazon. $45. Unless someone knows of a better deal...

6. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    wtf

7. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I think cards that can achieve 40-60 fps with ubersampling off should generally be able to run the game at a steady 60 fps as no matter which settings I run.. low to very high with uber sampling off, I get the same frames. The patch is coming next week and it will include a fix for low performance for high-end GPU's.

I can't wait!

8. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    yeah this right here, I posted it earlier.

9. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    Did anyone notice the size of the savegame folder? Mine is already at 1.7GB because of the .BMP images, and large save files.

10. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    No but this has me a tad bit concerned since I hit F5 a lot. I mean a LOT.

EDIT: I guess not as much as I thought lol. Its only 139MB for me.

11. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    Hmm using F5 only creates 1-2 saves then overwrites them all the time, the autosave creates a new file every time, so I guess all is good keep spamming the F5 :rockout: the game is crazy hard sometimes :)

12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think it's somewhat unusual for this game to include a supersampling option. This has been available in Nvidia's and AMD's control panel for some time. From my understanding, if you're running x8 MSAA and you turn supersampling (ubersampling) on, it either doubles or quadruples the amount of anti aliasing in the game. It works great on games where you get 200+ FPS without it. Valve games look great with supersampling. Anyways, this game is pretty challenging with lots of gameplay options. Love it so far.

random says thanks.
  13. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I read that Ubersampling in the game wasn't just an AA improvment feature. What it did was re-render the scene multiple times to enhance everything about the scene, not just the AA.

Thus why it kills performance.

In fact here it is http://www.neoseeker.com/news/16447-the-witcher-2-readme-reveals-uber-sampling-mode-more-options/

"The whole scene is rendered multiple times to give best possible texture and object details and antialiasing (better than antialias and anisotropy even on highest settings)."

14. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeahhh that's probably just a badly worded way of saying: "basically supersampling and maybe we don't downscale certain effects"

you have to redraw the geometry for effects like shadows

15. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    games awesome just played for 7 hrs straight playing on normal beat karyan 3rd try, he pist me off, made my swet kayan armor, then a sweet jagged blade, been doing odds and ends quests just enjoying the crap out of it awesome game

16. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I've been playing for around 10 hours now, I still haven't finished chapter 1 lol, I keep restarting because I don't like my decision outcomes. With most games I'd have been sick of having to redo sequences but with this game I am all for it, battle system is a bit awkward at first but once I got the hang of it, I gotta say it is unique and awesome.

17. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    .... done. Might go back and replay certain spots. Forgot to make the Kayran armor before leaving that shithole town.

Pretty damn sweet game.

18. random

random

Thanks Received:
    You finished the game already!? :O

19. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    Yeah.. on easy. If I wanted to grind I'd play BC2 rush. :eek:

random says thanks.
  20. Chosen Juan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been watching so many videos of this and it's really tempting to just go on Steam and buy it...ahhhh

21. random

random

Thanks Received:
    If you do decide to buy it, it is worth every penny.

22. Chosen Juan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm honestly going to get it right now or tomorrow. I need a break from first person shooters.

I realized that we have similar rigs (except mine is all stock since I just built it a few days ago). What kind of performance should I expect?

23. random

random

Thanks Received:
    You'll be generally around 55-60 fps in dungeons 45-50 outside with arounfd 38-40fps dips. We should be getting 60fps but we'll wait for the patch, make sure to turn off uber sampling, the rest of the settings you can turn on to max, won't make a difference in performance. vsync on

24. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    So far, this game is looking like a major downgrade from The Witcher Enhanced Edition. They got rid of the best aspect of the original which was the attack chains. It added that elegance, and dare I say beauty, to Geralt as well as that other witcher (don't remember his name now). It made them unique--something that stood out--and by extension, the game as well. I've made it past the tutorial (in Flotsam) and I'm struggling to stay awake and/or care. I think I would rather play though Fable III (PC) again.

Why, oh why did they have to break everything that was fine in the original? Oh, I know. Can you say "consolitis?" It's obvious an Xbox 360 and maybe PS3 version of the game will be released soon. They completely changed their target audience (like Mass Effect 2, Supreme Commander 2, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare) and, as a result, completely trashed it for the PC gamers out there.

AsRock says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    While I liked the attack chains, I guess it's not that important to me. To me Witcher 2 is is above and beyond what the original was.