1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by AsRock, Nov 19, 2010.

1. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok...regarding Risen/Gothic yes the stories are very simplistic so forget 'Story' and think 'things that gets the gamer involved with the NPC's and the world they inhabit'.

As for The Witcher's magic being that it is essentially choose an action yourself movie script, the Bioware games (Mass Effect Dragon Age etc) follow a similarly scripted RPG formula and they all suck and bore me to death. The Witcher's 2 magic is in the life it breaths into the world it creates and the highly individualistic NPC's within it, the gripping arcade gameplay, and the intrigue woven into the plot(s) which can be felt whether the gamer is playing for 30 minutes or 3 hours. The Witcher 2 does this, Gothic/Risen do this, Skyrim doesn't!

I have just been playing the Witcher 2 since my last post in this thread. Amongst other things, I bumped into a Patrol of Soldiers who had captured an attractive young Elf female whom the soldiers accussed of being a spy. Geralt undertook a mission to find out whether the female was indeed luring soldiers to ambush and death, which turned out to be absolutely true, Geralt was then given the choice whether to tell the truth and condem the attractive Elfin to death, or to lie and exonerate her. He chose to exonerate her and was lured to some waterfall on the promise of a tryst with the female. In full anticipation of a bit Elfin poontang Geralt arrives at the waterfall only to be informed by the pretty Elfin that he knew too much and that he now must die, at this point he is ambushed by a gang of Elves totally unprepared. After quite a long winded battle (involving many deaths and reloads) Geralt defeats the Elves and goes looking for the Elfin female. She begs for mercy, Geralt considers whether to take her to local commandant for legal trial (and certain execution), just to let the girl go and let by gones be by gones, or whether to finish her off on the spot. In no time at all, Geralt takes his swords and chops through the poisonous sluts torso, before heading down river where he bumps into a grumpy hung-over Troll who gives Geralt a solid kicking. After Geralt wakes up (Death, Load Game) he finds himself back at the f-king waterfall with a big band of elves to defeat once again....

aRFGADFHATHGFARFDZTGQ$ยง&%Q! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Which is why I am back here typing this shit out.....need a break before doing all that again. But take the above narrative (about 20 minutes of succesful gameplay), count the number of twists and turns, bear in mind the frantic skilled arcade action, the excellent dialogue, stunning character models and compare it with a typical Skyrim mission:

Hero speaks to someone who has exact same bland generic personality as the last 10 people he met. Hero is complemented on what a great guy and all round drgon born hero he is, but in order to prove it hero must travel to some dungeon and spent 30 minutes mindlessly swinging in order to collect some device. Hero accomplishes this and goes back to mission giver. Hero is complimented on what a great guy he is, but is told that there is an object missing. Hero must travel to some other dungeon and spend another 30 minutes spamming with his sword/axe to get the other object. Hero returns to mission giver and is told again what a great guy he is, but unfortunately the baddies have stolen the orginal object that hero obtained. Hero must travel to other dungeon, spend 30 minutes wildyl swinging his sword up and down and collect object.........and this is what 80% of Skyrim is like.....it is f-ing mind numbingly dull.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    honestly you can break every rpg down that way, you're just choosing not to do it with witcher.
    i don't disagree it's a great game, and i know the part you are speaking of. i'm simply saying i don't play the two games for the same reason. if i want a deep story i will play witcher - if i want to explore i will play skyrim. they really are two different games.

skyrim is not even an RPG as i have noted before. it's an open world adventure, free roam, etc - but you create your character - not like witcher where you are given a character to play. witcher is a Role-Playing game, skyrim is not. no more than GTA is a role-playing game imo.

3. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a Question:

I know that in Witcher 2 u use steel swords against humans and silver against monsters......but what about against animals or things such as Trolls (after all these are sentient beings)???

Explore what though?

Granted, Skyrim consists of an utterly fantastic landscape littered with quaint villages and some spectacular towns and structures. In this respect amazing..never seen anything like it in a video game before.........but, this landscape is utterly devoid of life! It is empty. Practically nothing happens there. In effect, this utterly spectacular landscape is just a space/time obstacle between the hero and the next f-ing dungeon where the hero must spend yet another 30 minutes spamming his sword at zombies or whatever. Compare this approach to video game exploration with Gothic/Risen where all kinds of pleasant and unpleasant surprises lurk around every corner.

Like all Bethesda's previous games....amazing in theory....but in practice....pffffffft.

4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:

I believe time is the issue. Either game takes years to make and both are totally different. I tried putting both together with Fallout 3 but fell short on length of the story i thought.

Games like these 2 in question are great but to find all what they both offer in one game is terribly rare. Maybe they will get it one day but there is that thing called time.

5. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    The Witcher 2 : Assassins of Kings - Enhanced Edition - CG Intro

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  6. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    CD Project are one of the best game studios. Free content after release, removing of DRM, what else do you need?

KieranD says thanks.
  7. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    FUCK ME!!!

A bit short is it not...The Witcher 2.

It has just like ended on me midway through the game...I know this cos I only got enough XP to reach level 30 unlocking only the bottom rung of capabilities....

I say they ran out of money/time and just cut the game short....

sonsofbitches.

8. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    In the EE they will make the chapter 3 bigger.

MatTheCat and KieranD say thanks.
  9. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Which kind of proves they never had time to finish the game.

10. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    Well, the chapter 3 being short was actually the only problem for me.
    Now, after all those patches and few free DLC, having a overhauled game (for free, again, just like in Witcher 1) makes up of everything. Of course, its just my IMHO.
    P.S.
    Damn april, come faster :D