• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

There must be a better VC than 6200a

BullGod

First of all, I've got a Dell optiplex 270. Second, please don't give me a hard time about owning this computer. I know it's a pure piece of shit but it was a gift from someone and at the time waaaaay better than my Athlon. The real big problem that this computer has is that you can only fit half-height cards in it. It's a slim case. Oh and it's AGP.I had an GeForce 6200a in it, I've finished Oblivion with that fucker, if you believe me... I guess it was to much for that card. It's fried. I currently live in Spain not at home so I can't change the card, it was still in guarantee. I've searched the whole net to find a better card but it seems that for this model trhat's the best you can get. PLEASE tell me that there is a better option. I'm really low on cash as usual but I just can't stand the integrated Intel ExtremeGraphics I'm using now.

quickie

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @3.0Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte P35-DS3L rev2.0
Cooling Xigamtek S1283, 2x Antec TriCool 120mm Case fans
Memory 2x2GB OCZ, DDR2-800
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon 3450 256mb
Storage WD 640GB AAKS; WD 500GB AAKS
Display(s) Dell 23" SP2309W
Case Sonata II
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2ZS
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 700W modded with Scythe SFF21e
your 6200a probably died because it overheated, not because you tortured it through oblivion ;)

as for finding those low profile cards, they can be difficult to find. other than a 6200 card, I believe there a low profile version of the Radeon 9550 (Radeon 9550LE?)

Otherwise, there's also this - a Radeon X600 (imo, it kinda pricey, but I don't know much you're willing to spend):
http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic=VC256ATIX600PLP

edit: I believe the link above is a PCI-E card, not an AGP card. sorry.

edit2: here are some links to the low profile radeon 9550
http://www.directron.com/r9550128m64bit.html
http://www.xpcgear.com/pcradeon9550se.html

But I'd suggest you look at ebay first.

Last edited:
What is the max hight the cards PCB can be?
If your willing to remove the back plate on the card most 1/2 hight cases will take a card with 2/3 hight PCB. Theres some alright cards in the 2/3 PCB range like the x1650/7600. . As quickie said heat can be a issue with a SFF case that was never meant to have a gaming card in it so watch your temps.

Clockspeed doesnt matter but in this case, I would cut the gaming for a while and save up for a new system that would actually do something.

BullGod

Clockspeed doesnt matter but in this case, I would cut the gaming for a while and save up for a new system that would actually do something.

Well yeah. I would buy a 680i motherboard a 3G DualCore and a brand new EVGA 8800GTOC and some Kingston ram. BUT will you lend me a 1000$? If I find some work I will buy a new comp in 3 months or so but in the meantime I wanna play CS and UT2004 so I need a card.

Yes! i've discovered how useless gaming is >_>. But yeah, get a job, you will get $$$ for it as well as experience as well. Even working at the local cafe or something, you get something for it, while gaming, you only get something that only lasts for the moment, which is fun. After you finish gaming, it isnt there anymore! Thats what im talking about, be more practical, most TPU members here arent practical and go to insane means to get a NUMBER.

BullGod

Yeah man I know what you're saying BUT can someone help me with this please? I'm going insane here, I've searched everywhere and those suggestions didn't help as I only find monster cards. There must be a half height AGP card that is faster than an 6200a...

BullGod

Come on dudes. Somebody got to know a card that can beat a 6200a. I'm desperate here. I can't even play CS1.6. Only thing that works properly is Chessmaster 10000 and I have yet to beat that fucker on its maximum setting. Someone else told me to look for an Ati 2400, they are supposed to be on AGP too no? I can find a slim version but only for PCIE, the AGP version is overweight. Atleast tell me some manufacturers that produce this kind of card to search on their homepage as Google is not a help in this case...

CH@NO

System Name Thank God you're back!!!
Processor Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.1GHz (stock)
Motherboard ECS H67H2-M3
Cooling Stock + 1 X 80mm Thermaltake red LED
Memory 1 X 4 GB Kingston 1333MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) coming soon
Storage 1TB Seagate SATAII + 500GB Hitachi USB (External)
Display(s) Samsung 20" LED Widescreen
Case coming soon
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek HD 6ch Audio
Power Supply Generic 450W with 20A on the 12v+ rail
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores coming soon
Well, my last rig was a micro ATX case, so I cannot put a "normal" (or at least powerful) card on it. a PowerColor X1650PRO barely fits in but It do the job and has a small-medium size.

If you're lookin for something more smaller try a 7300GS or GT / HD2400 / 8500GT that are more powerful than your 6200 and at least the 7300 and HD2400 are in AGP flavors. If you're lookin a brand think in POWERCOLOR/SAPPHIRE for Radeon and GIGABYTE/XFX for Geforce (I tell you that based on my experience here in Mexico, dunno what brands are more popular on your country).

Just SEARCH on your local store, almost ALWAYS low-end cards are in stock. If not, search on eBay.

Hope I'll help you out.

BullGod

Well, my last rig was a micro ATX case, so I cannot put a "normal" (or at least powerful) card on it. a PowerColor X1650PRO barely fits in but It do the job and has a small-medium size.

If you're lookin for something more smaller try a 7300GS or GT / HD2400 / 8500GT that are more powerful than your 6200 and at least the 7300 and HD2400 are in AGP flavors. If you're lookin a brand think in POWERCOLOR/SAPPHIRE for Radeon and GIGABYTE/XFX for Geforce (I tell you that based on my experience here in Mexico, dunno what brands are more popular on your country).

Just SEARCH on your local store, almost ALWAYS low-end cards are in stock. If not, search on eBay.

Hope I'll help you out.

Well... no luck. Gigabyte and xfx don't have AGP half height cards. I've been searching for 7300 and the 2400 but the AGP versions are all full height. Thanks for your help though...

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
i think fastest low profile agp card i've seen is radeon 9550

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Come on dudes. Somebody got to know a card that can beat a 6200a. I'm desperate here. I can't even play CS1.6. Only thing that works properly is Chessmaster 10000 and I have yet to beat that fucker on its maximum setting. Someone else told me to look for an Ati 2400, they are supposed to be on AGP too no? I can find a slim version but only for PCIE, the AGP version is overweight. Atleast tell me some manufacturers that produce this kind of card to search on their homepage as Google is not a help in this case...

why not just buy a full size case and PSU? dirt cheap, and you can go full height.

theres nothing we can tell you here, half height cards are NOT meant for gaming.

Oh and your sarcasm at wanting $1k was a bit off, $600au can get a gaming system with an x1650 or better, so you can certainly save that up if you try (and christmas is approaching ;) )

BullGod

why not just buy a full size case and PSU? dirt cheap, and you can go full height.
QUOTE]

Well, because I don't have any money. And I can't really say I have parents that would buy me something for christmas as both of them are heartless towards me. Oh and I kinda like this case. It's the most silent computer I ever heard. A PS2 is much more louder than my Dell.

b1lk1

System Name Money pit
Processor Q2Q Q8300
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 deluxe WIFI AP@N
Cooling 120.2/Swiftech655/Apogee GT/DD Fillport & res
Memory OCZ PC3-1333MHZ 2X1GB/Kingston HYPERX PC3-1325MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4830
Storage Seagate 7200.11 1TB
Display(s) Dell 2209WA
Case some crap 5 year old generic modded case
Audio Device(s) X-FI fagtality
Power Supply PC P&C 510W
Software Vista Premium 64
After some quick searching, there really is no better card that you will be able to readily find to replace that 6200. You're best bet would be to just get another 6200 and start saving for a better PC. Noone is releasing any new AGP based half-height cards.

If you take the side off your case can you fit a full size card in it?
I really don't think you'll find any gaming cards that will fit your case without a bit of modding. One option is a AGP 90[ make sure it's a riser not just a 90]which will run the card parallel to the motherboard. The down side of these is you lose your PCI slots and you'll have to cut your PCI mounting brackets to make room for the cards outputs. I think your best bet is a stuffing a 2/3s card in there without the back plate, it's worked for me:)

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
get the 9550 1...clock speed doesnt matter because the archetecture is better it runs better so it doesnt need a high clock rate to compete....and if the low pros are LE im not sure but i know the 9550 SE's can be modded to 9600 if you can do that to the LE's you can buy one mod it and you have a card better than what you bought and low pro..cool huh?

BullGod

If you take the side off your case can you fit a full size card in it?
I really don't think you'll find any gaming cards that will fit your case without a bit of modding. One option is a AGP 90[ make sure it's a riser not just a 90]which will run the card parallel to the motherboard. The down side of these is you lose your PCI slots and you'll have to cut your PCI mounting brackets to make room for the cards outputs. I think your best bet is a stuffing a 2/3s card in there without the back plate, it's worked for me:)

Well. That's the best idea so far. It could work if I'll find an AGP 90 that goes to the left. To the right there is no room, the chipset and CPU is there. Wait a minute.... I took a picture.

Here:

I could take out the PCI box that this case has and place the card over the Source. Don't know if that's a good ideea, temperature wise... Maybe I could install a fan somewhere.It must be a riser then as the source is a bit higher than the agp. Shit I just remembere I don't really got any tools here. Escept basic ones, like screwdrivers and such. Anyways I'm willing to do this if someone is willing to help with some advice...

BullGod

GODDAMIT! I hope you didn't get me all started for nothing. If I can do this right it means I would be able to fit one of this puppies in RIGHT?

Don't know if my Power Supply (sorry for calling it source but that's the way we call it overhere) has any extra cables ofr this beast. Couldn't I take a power cable from the floppy or something? It's useless anyways... This would be too great though...

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
If you REALLY REALLY want to do this your best bet would be to switch out the case.

Then, when you need to, you can build your own rig and reuse the case if you would like.

^^ That and an X1950xt is probably the best your going to get in AGP.

EDIT: Also, most card that require an external power connector usually come with a Y connector. Almost like this .....

BullGod

Well I could make something like 100 Euros now. Don't know how much is that in dollars (probably around 120-130) I can't really buy a new video card and a decent case with that money. I would rather spend them on a brand new 2600 pro and make it work with this case. I am not afraid of modding. I modded my LG stereo system to work without the CD part (it had all the inlines on the CD not the amplifier) and it still works great. So I guess this is what I'll do. The case has lot's of space if you remove that PCI box, only on a horizontal plane not vertical. One of those risers should work fine. This board already has a riser in that box that makes two PCI ports out of one. If I measure that fucker I should have the perfect dimension for the AGP one. I will need some sort of extender though. Aren't there any flexible riser of some sort? I'm thinking something like an IDE cable? There must be. That would work perfectly...

BullGod

I found a riser 90 on ebay heres a link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2U-AGP-PCI-Comb...oryZ1484QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
It's centered at 2 1/6" so you have some room for your cards heatsink fan. You can get flex risers but the only ones I've ever seen you had to remove the AGP slot and solder the cable in it's place. It's been years since I checked for them so there might be something simpler out there.

Yeah that one looks good. Don't know if it's high enough, it seems like it. I don't have an international credit card, gotta talk ro my roommate about this, his card should work... Thanks for helping out!