1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermal adhesive backing vs. Thermal compound better bond?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by newconroer, Jul 27, 2007.

1. newconroer

Thanks Received:
    To avoid private messaging MORE people ( you know you are :)) in attempts to get second opinions...

I have lightweight copper sinks that are going to be set on the board MOSFETS.

They come with a thermal adhesive backing. You remove the film, hold in place ten seconds bla bla etc.

Should I strip the sink, clean it up and then use Ceramique compound?

The performance would be better. I just wonder which will hold them in place more efficiently over time.
  2. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    ah I thought you meant it used thermal pads.. I think the adhesive would be best that liquid something pro brand of stuff sells an adhesive you can use too.. its like a sticky pad but it literally is a glue that glues the mosfets to your ram/board I think its damm near imposable to remove too.

Hopefully you get a more professional opinion, since I dont know much about it and have never used Ceramique to know its texture :p.

heres a link to the glue pads.. but theses one you have to let melt and literally glue, sorry I couldnt be more help lol.
    http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g8/...Interface_Materials-Coollaboratory-Page1.html
  3. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
    if you dont mind them being permanent use artic silver thermal adhesive, its a 2 part epoxy like stuff, sets to a metal alloy and is permanent, thermal paste will not hold them on, i have used the arctic adhesive to bond headsinks to radiators, and they aint budging, good stuff imo, have used them on ramsinks on vid cards b4
  4. newconroer

Thanks Received:
    I know what I can buy to serve this purpose, however I am asking, between the stock adhesive backing and the Ceramique compound, which is going to hold longer.
  5. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ceramique is a thermal grease isn't it? This has no adhesive properties at all, so unless you make a retention device, i'd say the adhesive backing will hold longer ;)
  6. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't trust a compound to hold heatsink on man, I mean if you bump your case and one falls of onto the board then its pretty certain you will see some smoke escape from your case followed by a really not very nice burny smell!!! :eek:

The adhesive ones will be fine, and they will stick, like the other guys said you can use AS thermal adhesive, I found if you only use a small dot of it you can actually break the sinks off later on with out damaging anything...
  7. newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Right, the compound should serve maybe as a suction, but not an adhesive.

That's what I wanted to confirm.

Since I may be returning this board for a program deal, I don't want to PERMANENTLY adhere anything so I will probably end up using this :

http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=66&products_id=158

I just have the fun of cutting it into tiny tiny MOSFET sized pieces..joy!