1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermal Paste application and removal questions

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Mastablasta, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Mastablasta New Member

Thanks Received:
    It is hard to find a good thermal paste guide anywhere. And even a good thermal paste removal guide. I am confused on why you want to remove thermal paste? I am going to be thermal pasting Some Xbox's and an xbox 360 to help reduce heat with arctic silver 6. I can understand removing the old paste for that however how much would you suggest paste I put on and how would you suggest I apply it with?

THen for Computers when you are moving a procceser, and procceser heat sink from computers do you need to really remove all the paste and reapply everytime after you use cleaning solvent? or can you reuse old paste is ok? I want to make sure all my machines are running properly So i am planning on cleaning with arcitc silver compund solution, and then reapplying paste.

My main questions are. How much thermal paste should you apply exactly over a procceser that is going to have a huge like 3 lb heat sink on it?

How important is cleaning thermal paste off every how often in a proccesers life? and what are some good technique or towel types to use with the compund? just paper towel?

how much thermal paste should go on a 360? it is about the same as a computer procceser I am assuming it gets really hot it is a tripple core procceser.

Any sites or lnks to thermal paste application, usage, and other things about it would be greatly appreciated!
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    thermal paste changes over time. You remove it, because you dont want to mix old and new.

For a car analogy, you want to remove the old engine oil before putting new stuff in.

size of the heatsink means nothing. You want as little paste as possible, put a dab in the middle and let the heatsinks pressure spread it out.

cleaning it off 'often' is un-neccesary. simply clean it and replace it only if you take the heatsink off.

The xbox 360 uses an IBM triple core CPU that even apple didnt want, yes they run hot. It should be the same procedure for applying thermal paste there.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm
    Mastablasta says thanks.
  3. Mastablasta New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow thanks alot great link!! did not know that about the xbox either heh! I got an old core system for cheap trying to put some stuff in it so it lasts awhile longer like fans and paste... Appreciate the link have a good on!