1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermal paste

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by vychytraly, Jan 5, 2012.

1. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    on hdt coolers you put two thin lines of paste. on non hdt cooler pea size is acceptable if your using anything with peanut butter consistency ie MX4,GL Extreme. with things with water consistency i use the BB size IE GC2, NH-T1 ,AS5

vychytraly says thanks.
  2. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't trust hardware secrets at all. They don't even know how to properly apply paste to a HDT. Used twice as much as they needed. Note the last method http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5

Comparison of dot and x method spread. http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=4

I'd really avoid a tiny dot or manually spreading it razor thin. The thing is most coolers and chips don't fit together perfectly. The chips tend to be concave to varying degrees and the heatsinks don't always compensate for that, or they do but it just doesn't match the exact curve of the chip. If you've lapped the chip and sink then a razor thing application would probably be the best performing.

vychytraly says thanks.
  3. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:

If the lapping was perfect, no TIM would be needed at all. The contact area between the 2 materials would match on an atomic level and thermodynamic heat transfer from chip to heatsink would be 100%

Too bad that perfect is only a concept and there are only varying degrees of close enough TIM serves to enhance close enough... too much = insulator and fail, too little= insufficient heat transfer and fail :rolleyes:

vychytraly and fullinfusion say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    It seems that noctua makes good thermal paste, but i still artic silver 5 but is conductive, but i don't care xd i know where to put it and where not xd

vychytraly says thanks.
  5. specks

specks New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just put a little bead in the middle of the IHS about the size of a grain of rice or smaller

vychytraly says thanks.
  6. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    I spread a thin later of thermpaste all over my cpu's and than put my heatsink on it, i always have great temps

vychytraly says thanks.
  7. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I also use the small bead like a grain of rice and then spread it with a credit card or what ever just happens to be handy at the time. I also have been using as cremique recently due to running out of the "good" stuff and it's been doing great.

vychytraly says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    A BB size in the middle and LET THE HSF-WB FLOW THE COMPOUND ON ITS OWN!
    Time to close this thread!
    :cool:

vychytraly and Norton say thanks.
  9. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    One thing is for sure there are many ways to apply thermal past just a dab will do .

vychytraly says thanks.
  10. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    24 on that big Buddie! less is better :pimp:

vychytraly says thanks.