1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermalright SI-128

Discussion in 'News' started by W1zzard, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    We all know the saying “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. When the SI-120 was released back in August of 2005, it received nothing but rave reviews from critics, and has been used as “The One” to beat in a lot of heatsink comparisons. Not only that, but SI-120 has become a favorite among hardcore Overclockers and computer integrators from around the World.

“A popular heatsink used by Overclockers - the Thermalright SI-120”, quote taken from one of the most respected hardware review sites.

You think that’s the end of the story? No way~! Ladies and Gentlemen, introducing the new SI-128!!

We’ve widened it, heightened it, beefed up the heatpipes, and put lots more fins in it!! The end result? It’s bigger, it’s “badder”, and it’s got more cooling power than you can shake a stick at.

So let’s get down to the gritty details: Four 8mm wide heatpipes, 78 aluminum fins (compared to 52 from SI-120), standing at 145mm long, 125mm wide, and 91.5mm tall, weighing in at 510g. Every SI-128 comes with adapters for platform LGA775 and K8. (Retention module for socket AM2 can be acquired separately)

Thermalright’s SI-128, the Goliath version of the SI-120! Need we say more?

2. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    benchmarking is believing...

3. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    Is this cooler better than cheap watercooling?

4. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    It depends on what "cheap watercooling". Probably every high end air cooling is better than all the tide-big-small bla bla thermaltake waters, coolermaster, evercool, titan..etc. If you want to watercool you need money and custom watercoolers like swiftech, waterchill...but believe me they're much more than 30-35$.

5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:

I believe this site puts the Zalman CNPS9500 over some of the very cheap watercooling kits so this should be close to that also. However, things like the Bigwater 745 are still going to give you better cooling then any air cooler.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. XooM New Member

Thanks Received:
    bigwater probably won't give you better temps than air... thermaltake water solutions are horrendous shit. right down there with zalman water cooling, evercool, koolance, and so on. AquaXtreme, Swiftech, DangerDen, Thermochill, *SOME* alphacool (aka DDC+ ULTRA), those are real water cooling parts; good watercooling parts. none of this 100 dollar kit crap with an anemic pump, flat slab of copper waterblocks, hoses thinner than capillaries, and radiators that belong in AC systems as condensers.

7. The Nemesis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Geez I hope my corsair Nautilus is not considered crap

8. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    Na, thats an external unit deffenitly not crap, I think they are low profile, but not crap. :)

P.S. Anyone find a review of one of these with a Xp-120?
    I.E. SI-128 Vs. Xp-120, I goggled it and came up with nothing.

9. creidiki

creidiki New Member

Thanks Received:
    high fpi

fpi on that thing is hella high.

just like high-fpi radiators youre gonna need high static pressure stuff here. with a shroud if you can, or youll lose a fingerful of degrees to the deadspot of strong 38mm fans. youll probably want to tape over the sides too, or youll lose a lot of flow that way from the high restriction.

should be very competitive in the noise-no-object arena, but nothing youll want to look at if youre a yate loon kinda guy like me.

i'd love to whack a high-speed 140mm Yate Loon on this thing with one of those aerocool 140 to 120mm adapters and see how it goes, though...

10. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    you just revived a very old thread :slap:
    i thnk the si-128 is better but go look for some reviews ;)