1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme (Installation Questions)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by twicksisted, Dec 20, 2007.

1. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    Alright, i ordered one of these today (and a samsung 24")
    should be with me tomorrow afternoon (thanks to overclockers)

Looking at the reviews, this is a bit of a monster... I take it im going to have to take out my motherboard to install it with a backplate. at the moment, I'm using the retail fan on my Q6600....

Any special words of advice to installing this... like things you only know when doing it before?
    Aah also... will this fit into my case (NZXT Lexa)
  2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    this is just the heatsink right? i was thinking about buying one for my htpc so that it will be fanless. i heard they are a real pain to install and you will have to remove your motherboard. let me know how it goes!
  3. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    cool yeah i will do...

I just know that with anything, its easier when you have done it once... with a particular item... becuase theres always something that will get in the way.

By the way, i hope your HTPC has a big case as this thing is seriously tall... it still hasnt arrived, but a bit of google imaging and i found pics of this thing dwarfing an ATX motherboard!
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I now have 2 Ultra-120 Extremes and a regular Ultra-120.

Just follow the directions and you should be fine. The only thing I really have to warn you about is not to remove the wax-paper covering on the foam on the backplate. If you do the foam will stick to the motherboard, and it is virtually impossible to get off(very bad if you want to switch heatsinks, or have to RMA your motherboard).

Also, try to assemble it as much as possible outside of the case, it is a pain to work around once it is in the case, including putting the fan on it.

The socket 775 mounting bracket is kind of stiff at first, and hard to spread out. I had to loosen the screw slightly to make it easier to install.
    twicksisted says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
  6. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    Thanks mate... I will refer to this tomorrow when I have the heatsink and am about to do it... cant really picture what foam and wax plate you could be referring to as I thought the whole thing was metal... but will keep an eye out for it ;)
  7. Hawk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^^ Yup, what 'tekie said. It's a pain to install (yes MB has to be removed) and, yeah, dont stick it on the back of the board. Although not sticking it can cause other pains in the ass as I discovered. I removed the TR to check my paste (from the MX-2 thread by Dr.S) and when I took it off, the backplate moved behind the MB and I couldn't align it again without removing the board. Aside from that, its the current king of air coolers, and you should get great temps (depending how high you overclock/up the vcore).
  8. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    well, it will be the ATX zalman media case so it should be big enough to fit. we will see in a couple months.
  9. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys.

Well yesterday i installed my new Thermalright Ultima 90.
    But before i did i spend 2 hours lapping the thing.
    I have never seen a cooler with a base so round as this one. To be honest i was a little bit shocked to see the poor quality. Not saying it's a bad cooler. After the lapping it totally :rockout:.
    But i did not expect it to be that bad.
  10. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:

I read about this too... the base of this heatsink is intentionally rounded and it makes absolutely no difference if you lap the surface...
    have a read here:
    http://www.cryo-laboratory.com/foru...89-thermalright-ultra-120-extreme-review.html

;)
  11. Hawk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the bases are not that great, even on the Ultra Ex. versions. I spent a few hours lapping mine as well, just to make sure it made good contact and would cool as well as possible.
  12. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the advice. But you can't ignore that less contact is less heat transfer.
    After lapping better surface contact so better heat transfer. And if it was intentionally done then they are stupid.:D
  13. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Will this thing fit inside the case, or do you keep the side cover off?
  14. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    Hes right I asked Thermalright directly they said they made it rounded a bit on purpose to help the mounting mechanism hold and that they found the uneven suface when used with thermal paste actually tranfers more heat. Don't kill the messanger thats what they said and that review shows it.

I ran all the tests again and much to my amazement I had no gains at all. It was the same thru every test as it was before lapping. I thought perhaps it was due to me mounting it differently, using too much thermal paste or something, because I really did expect at least a small drop in temps. After remounting it again with just the right amount of thermal paste it was again the same.
    I am really impressed that not even 1 degree Celsius could be gained by lapping it.

If the mounting system they use were improved upon I would most definitely rate this heatsink a 10. I have lapped several heatsinks in the past and have seen gains of 6 Celsius in lower temperatures.
    I will lap the CPU and test it again, but since that has nothing to do with the heatsink I will post it within the forum and conclude this review on the fact that this heatsink rocks.
    The convex surface seems to be no problem for it on this Processor. Thermalright has done their homework on this design and they have proved me wrong. I guess flatter isn’t always better. Congrats Thermalright on a heatsink I can honestly recommend to anyone as an excellent choice for air cooling.
    I look forward to pitting this monster against the Apogee GT in my air vs. water cooling comparison coming soon.

UPDATE #2:
    i figured i might as well add this information in here to keep it simple and organized.
    After lapping my CPU and testing under the same conditions i had 0 gains. every temp was the same. at 4.4 GHz full load it looked like it might be 1c lower but it was too close to tell.
  15. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    If this is your case it is gonna be close my old case just barely fit at 8.3inches and yours is only 8 I bet it won't
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119077

get this one it is very close to the TRUE120 but is 8mm smaller in height http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154002
    and has a better chance of fitting. If you do keep the TRUE120 it is super easy to install one back plate true four holes, then the heat sink set over the cpu ,then a x braket set over the cpu, and four screws that stop when they are tightened enough not letting you smash the cpu.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  16. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, thats my case and damn I think I paid 80 bucks or something.:D I was looking at the tuniq. I think neither would be a problem because I keep my side panel off anyways. I would worry about the pcb cracking more than anything. And I already have a back plate on the mobo.
  17. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Check the base b4 installing some saying that the base is wrarped.
  18. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    Wow way to read a post before you comment LOL
  19. PyroX1040 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Zing >.>!:rockout:
  20. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    if you get it and you cant install it (dew to the threads in the back plate not being threaded) just go to your local hardware store buy some 3ish inch bolts that fit in the hole and some washers and a couple nuts and screw that sucker in! it works like a charm for me it actually works better than the screws it came with :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

You can see the 775 mounting hardware there. The black thing is the mounting bracket. The white square on it is covering the foam which helps protect the motherboard. If you remove that white paper, the foam has a glue on it that will stick to the motherboard, and it is a real pain in the ass to remove.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  22. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Did not read the posts lol..... i read the reviews of it that i find and the ones on newegg.....
  23. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    lmao!
  24. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    Alright, its installed...!!!!

Bit of stress taking everything out and remembering where my 4 raid harddrives are supposed to plug in (Raid 0)

The fan clips were a bit of a headscratch but figured out with a bit of brute force...
    I decided to use AS5 instead of the goo they supplied with the cooler... my theory is less is more and i just put a half grain of rice sized pea on the chip, and used card to spread it so i couldnt see the chip... then dabbed a bit on the heatsink...

Plecing it on and tightening the screws it moves around all over the place which isnt really ideal!!! I feel like i spread the thermal paste all over and messed it up a bit.

Anyways, speedfan tells me im at 19c... coretemp tells me idle im at:
    core1: 38
    core2: 37
    core3: 31
    core4: 31

What do you guys reckon? is it fine... or shall i try again ?
  25. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know if it matters, but there is a certain way to apply as5 on a quad. Look at there website.