1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermaltake Air Cooling... Looking for feedback

Discussion in 'Thermaltake' started by Tt Enthusiasts, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Tt Enthusiasts

Tt Enthusiasts Thermaltake Rep

Thanks Received:
    Many of you im sure have seen a Thermaltake cooler offering, possibly many and may have even used them at one point or maybe many times. Please tell me about your experience, feel free to let us know anything you would like to see, implemented, changed, improved, etc.

let us know how we can make it better for you.
  2. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    TT air cooler like cpu/gpu coolers, fans or cases, or both? Xd
  3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I have not used Tt cooling since the Big typhoon. That cooler was so good, I even hooked one up to my X1800XL.

That said, lost cost, and top-level performance, while not making a lot of noise, is key for me. An easy mounting system helps too, as doing reviews, I change coolers often, and quick and easy, secure mounting is very important there.

No fancy colours, and no plastic shrouds unless they help. Providing variable-rate fans with potentiometer controller is not an OK substitute for low-noise, but PWM-based fans are.
    Jack Doph says thanks.
  4. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Big Typhoon's are nice, even used one on a xbox 360. I have also used the Silents, Orbs, and Tr2's many times, always performed well. I tried out a couple V-coolers also, they were just a little strange to work with though.

Currently looking for a simple all-in-one water cooler for an upcoming Bulldozer build, so far I would have to go with a Corsiar.
  5. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:
    any cooler you have feedback for please feel free to post

Thats awesome to see them used in so many ways! I have done similar mods but none like that recently.

We are trying to offer as much adjustability as possible, alot of our coolers offer PWM and for those that dont most have a trimmer to adjust the fan as desired. fixed fan speed coolers are becoming less prevelant in our lineup as we want to ensure you get the experience your looking for (quiet when you want it, performance when you need it)

Thank you for that, we have many more high performance offerings since those listed, as for LCS we are always working on improving our offering so you never know what can show up :D
  6. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    You know Tt You have a great bunch here if you ever need testers for feedback or just out the box testers....You know the guys TT business can and will get stuck in the box (which I am sure is why your here in the first place)..Just mentioning it because I think it's an idea.;)
  7. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    air cooler based which can be paired with any after market fans or even with standard 200mm fan
    maybe better material since the hsf getting bigger and bigger and the weight got raised again n again. having lightweight hsf is nice
    no retention plate or minimum retention plate for universal hsf. some good hsf is hard to tighten coz they have small room underneath the hsf and its very frustating to install them
  8. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    My only suggestion is aesthetic. Ditch the plastic and focus on the top. Hide the fugly tips of the heatpipes under a short, stout-finned heatsink that covers the whole top. The thick fins are so you don't hurt your fingers if you ever need to push down on it. Probably wouldn't add any cooling benefit but most consumers won't know that. Though I wonder if you made the pipes an inch longer and bent them flat against the top under the sink if it wouldn't gain some degree of cooling benefit. Anyways you could colorize it however you want and the fans will hide the naked metal on the rest of it.

My only performance recommendation is to look into those direct heatpipe coolers where the pipes are so smooth and flat that they look like one block. Like this http://www.techpowerup.com/img/11-09-27/126e_212evo.jpg

Hopefully it wouldn't add too much to production costs.
  9. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    I would like to see an attempt at the high end of air cooling by TT, say 180 watt capable.
  10. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:
    Our Contac Series of coolers are direct touch heatpipes

we have many coolers that can handle in excess of 180W

Frio 220W
    Frio OCK 240W
    Jing 200W
    arnoo1 says thanks.
  11. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah but probally meand that it's silent to,
  12. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    Take the air cooling crown back from the likes of Thermalright, Noctua, Prolimatech, etc.
    Make it a top contender without the noise of the FRIO OCK - like the NH-D14.
    Heck, performance first (including noise) then aesthetics later - look at the fugly fans on the NH-D14 - throw some NZXT Havik fan style on it.

Make it, and we will buy it - you've seen how it went from the Typhoon to the Tunic Tower to the TRUE 120 to the Megahalems to the NH-D14.

Feel free to ignore this post, but the Big Typhoon was the last product that really did shine in that manner - but like the AMD Opteron 165's and FX-60's it cooled, that was the last time period it did.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  13. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:
    We have some things coming that will likely peak your interest in the near future. :D
    LagunaX says thanks.
  14. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I had your Frio cooling my 2500k a new months ago. Not a bad cooler at all (still ranked as one of the best) but IMO, it should come with PWM fans instead. I used 2 Akasa Apache fans with mine for a short period of time before i upgraded to my Antec 920
  15. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:
    I agree as I prefer PWM fans but the issue you run into on a dual fan cooler is that getting the 2 PWM ports to set the fans at the same speed.... as many motherboard controllers for teh fans pull from different sensors for each pwm fan port.

I am already working on a few possible solutions for this though just sit tight :)
  16. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    Just got my latest issue of MaximumPc mag.

They kinda beat on the noise issue with the Frio again - not wanting to be in the same room as the computer it was in...

Anyways look forward to seeing what Thermaltake has to offer in the near future.
    Make it perform and eye-catching like Alpenföhn K2, NZXT Havik, or Zalman CNPS12X!

BTW good job with the Thermaltake Chaser MK-1. That or the Rosewill Blackhawk will be my next case...
  17. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    good point.

But --- Asus P67 and P68 boards have 2 CPU PWM fan headers, so it might be easy for me to say i want 2 pwm fans but at the same time not everyone has an optional CPU fan header.
  18. Neuromancer

Neuromancer

Thanks Received:
    For AMD systems, bolt through bolt through bolt through. You dont even need to provide a backplate just a top plate AMD backplate works well enough for me with homemade bolt through kits I have made. (1U server heatsinks are a pain to cut but are really durable lol)

Only seen it once designed in, but curling a couple of the bottom fins to blow on VRMs seemed like a good idea, I usually use a piece of paper to turn the bottom 25% of the exhaust and direct it at the VRMs. Probably not feasible for those that like to dual fans their heatsinks, maybe an optional (but included) shield that can clip on to the sink and direct some air down.
    Tt Enthusiasts says thanks.
  19. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:
    not bad feedback at all! thanks for that :)
  20. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    Ive used about every cpu cooler tt has made and they all do what they are designed to do,Id like to see a cooler that matches the Snow Edition with the capabilities and mounting of a Noctua D14. The only gripe ive had with tt coolers is on AMD the mounting puts the cooler north/south and not east/west.
  21. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:
    for AMD we have a new bracket coming soon to fix this :)

I apologize for the lateness of fixing this but its something I took on when I started noticing that issue and we have a solution :)

as for the cooler.... stay tuned ;)
  22. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

Think you've missed the point he was trying to make, he meant heatpipes like this [​IMG] no with no "gap" between the pipes : ]

Although from experience it seems a well crafted copper block with heat-pipes running through it does performance better than DHT.

Have you ever looked into hybird vapour cooling?

As in Vapour chamber with pipes coming out of it, as this would surely offer the best "base" for a cooler as it's only the one layer for the heat to get through ( much like dht) how ever unlike dht where 2-3 pipes do the work this would allow how ever many pipes you decided to put in the vapour chamber to work equally ( since the heated gas would evenly distribute it's self through all of the pipes)

Also it would use slightly less copper so whilst the initial investment may cost more ( due to the manufacturing process) you may save money in material costs in the long time.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
    Tt Enthusiasts says thanks.
  23. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    so you actually design things for the heatsinks?

how many people actually work for the heatsink department at thermaltake?
  24. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:
    I work directly with the engineers on many of the Tt products ;)

but short answer yes :)

quite a few ppl work on heatsinks along with other projects in HQ..

im the resident overclocker/enthusiast here thats why im looking for your feedback because I know what I like and what would work well but even between enthusiasts that can differ alot!

thats something I wanna get an idea of what you guys want so that we can improve products the way you guys want them maybe not exactly but as close as we can.
  25. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:
    Ah I see, yes ours have aluminum block gaps between the pipes. Lemme look into this.