1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermaltake Announces Bigwater 760 Pro Liquid Cooling System

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jan 18, 2013.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thermaltake announced the Bigwater 760 Pro CPU liquid cooler. It consists of a CPU liquid block, tubing, and a head unit that occupies two 5.25-inch drive bays. Unlike other closed-loop liquid coolers, Thermaltake's solution uses a conventional CPU block with no other function than heat dissipation. Coolant pump, reservoir, and a radiator ventilated by a 120 mm fan, are located in the heat unit.

Its front-panel keeps you up to speed on the coolant level, and control over its coolant pressure. Its reservoir features a port with which you can inject additional coolant (propylene glycol solution in distilled water). The CPU block features a nickel-plated copper base with mirror finish. The block supports all modern CPU socket types, including LGA2011, LGA115x, LGA1366, LGA775, AM3+/AM3/AM2+/AM2, FM2/FM1. The Bigwater 760 Pro is expected to be priced around US $150.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Oh god the nightmares....

3. urza26

urza26

Thanks Received:
    That looks rather inconvenient, a radiator mounted horizontally in a 5.25" bay.
    Besides I don't like the aesthetics all that much anyway, it looks rather cheap and not well thought out.

4. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    the big water needs to be taken out to the back and put out of its misery lol

badtaylorx says thanks.
  5. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Price says it all.

Pump, Rad, Reservoir, block all contained in a custom built box for $150. Good liquid solutions aren't cheap.

It would be good to see a contraption based on an 'out of the case' set up with a couple of tubes going into the case to the blocks.

I'd contemplated that for my next build - to use a standalone res/rad/pump unit.

6. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede

Thanks Received:
    I remember their first take of this, the cap for the water tank was like a screw top of an airplane size wine bottle, and just as solid...
    Worst watercooling kit ever...

7. LDNL

LDNL

Thanks Received:
    For that money there are way better kits out there. Might not fit in a 5.25 bay but were they ever ment to?

8. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I went to some shrink sessions to forget this abomination, now I have to book some more cause of this news article :p

9. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    I can't believe they still have this in production. xD

10. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    So what is so horrible about it? I have no WC experience at all, but it looks pretty decent to me. And I think there has been several members here wishing for a reservoir that fits in the 5.25 bays.

11. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    given the fact that the radiator, reservoir, and pump all have to share space in a rather small 2x 5.25 bay says a lot. the pump is small and probably noisy and if its anything like their past products its made out of very thin cheap plastic and prone to leak very easily. and if you think about it... how is that radiator going to breathe very easily when its sandwiched between cd rom drives and such

12. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    That's easy, no one uses opticals anymore ;)

Seriously though, I did think about it and when installed it might sit right under my top fan mount. This may be the situation for a number of models, I'd need to look up the length to know.

...not that I want one as I agree with the earlier aesthetics comments and so far the opinion of Thermaltake WC products seems to be pretty low.

13. badtaylorx

badtaylorx

Thanks Received:
    not trying to be rude, but that is what Tt is counting on here....

i DO have alot of WC exp, and to call this thing a piece of $h!t would be an insult to all things warm, stinky, and steamy!!!

Bad pump, bad radiator, cheap plastic res, sticks WAY out of the end of the 5-1/4 bay, and its loud....

the $150+ would be better spent on ANY of the other "all in one" liquid cooling systems from the likes of Nzxt, Corsair, CoolerMaster, Zalman, or even Thermaltake themselves!

14. Dj-ElectriC

Dj-ElectriC

Thanks Received:
    OOUGHHH The memories. I had the BigWater 745 (i think its 745) back in the days, overclocking my Q6700 like a baws!

15. SeventhReign

Thanks Received:
    NOT True at all. XSPC's $150 water cooling kit is actually GREAT. Granted it is an actual complete water cooling loop, and not a single unit like this.

16. SeventhReign

Thanks Received:
    There have been about 20 5.25" Bay reservoirs on the market for several years now.

17. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    You know what I mean. An all in one unit that doesn't need built up. Granted the H100 is cheaper but it's not the same as having what Tt have made.

Maybe I'm a snob but I like my kits very quiet and pretty. My pump+block+rad+res combo would be a lot more than that.

18. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I'm even more confused now. Isn't this thing new? How do you know it is so horrible?

19. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Ok, lets get the Bigwater facts out of the way. The unit is for the novice or for those looking not to take a lot of space. It really doesn't do a bad job believe it or not...... but there are better options out there. The thing that craps out the Bigwater is they use an aluminum radiator with mixed metals in the setup and mixing metals is a nono with watercooling. Mixing metals leads to corrosion and the unit IMO is crap and should be avoided like the plague. Also, the Thermaltake pumps have a huge reputation of failing and the plastic parts crack.

20. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    i use just the water for this kit from thermaltake sold separtely and its pretty damn good !

21. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    It has been sad, but I feel I must say it again in my own way.

No way the radiator gets enough ventilation to stay cool.

22. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Yes it does but not as much as one installed inside the case. Remember, this is a space saver. I used one many moons ago and it really did not do bad. I took a Phenom II 9850 with 1.55 volts to 3.27GHz with it. I was surprised and it was an older bigwater model. I got it when I was a nooby and did not know much about liquid cooling. The pump failed but it did not hurt the system.

23. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    Heh...Thermaltake...90% of their products suck. Its just the 10% that don't which seem to keep them going. This reminds me somewhat of their 5.25in GPU PSUs which work well. But from the sound of this I'd say the concept is lost due to bad design.

One point that stands out for me is that there is a refill cap. I thought the idea of these was that you wouldn't have to refill? Isn't that potentially exposing it to contamination? Or is "(propylene glycol solution in distilled water)" that strong? Heh...you find that glycol stuff in lots of things. From underarm deodorant, textiles, and shampoo...to foods we eat. Maybe even more. Check ingredients on what you eat. Specially foods with some form of gelatin in them. You'll find the stuff out gets tossed in often.

24. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Its a tubular radiator works different than regular radiators.

25. terrastrife New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well you need a place to start, so it's the "fill cap".

There's also evaporation too, I used to have to top up my Swiftech Micro res maybe, once or twice a year (this doesn't bode well to sealed all in one units as they still evaporate through the tubes). <: