1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermaltake BlacX SATA HDD USB Docking Station

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by t_ski, Mar 4, 2008.

1. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2008
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. pentastar111

Thanks Received:
    That looks pretty frigging handy!!:) And ALOT cheaper than buying an external drive..:D
  3. qwerty_lesh

qwerty_lesh

Thanks Received:
    thats all good and well, a shame that it doesnt have an esata interface, using this will suffer the multipul file copy process bottleneck that usb has. aside from that tho i do want one :D
    i would love for a ide model to be available aswell, usb is understandable for pata ide disks i would buy two - 1 for work and one for home as i have ide disks coming out the wazoo at both locations lol. think ive seen them around but when i looked around for the url again i couldnt find the product, nice review nehow i like stuff like this and had a good read :toast:
  4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    If it had eSATA, I'd be so sold on it.
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I would definitely snag this if it has eSATA, but I already have plenty of USB enclosures for all types of drives and USB is going to limit the drives performance.

I can understand why it isn't compatible with IDE, it seems that the IDE connectors on drives vary from drive to drive. So setting something like this up wouldn't be practical for IDE drives.

The position of the SATA connectors is a standard, so all drives will be the same.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. wickerman

wickerman

Thanks Received:
    defiantly a handy device to have for those of us that work with a lot of different hard drives for stuff like data recovery, drive imaging, or wiping a drive before selling/reusing in another system. Certainly seems like a safer solution than what I normally do...which is just leave the drive on my desk or floor with cables coming out of the pc case while I'm working with the drive :p

Lacking IDE abilities dont bother me so much as SATA is effectively taken over (not entirely, but you gotta see the trend :p), but the lack of eSATA does turn me away from this device. For large data transfers to/from the drive USB is simply going to be too slow. With the lack of eSATA, I may as well just use a regular external enclosure and just not screw the drive in place.

Just cant help but feel they only got it half right...
  7. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    For all of you wanting an eSATA interface, I was just on the Tt website and found this:

http://thermaltakeusa.com/product/Storage/hdd_station/blacx/st0005u.asp

That's the new eSATA & USB version I was speaking of. The last I knew it was supposed to be released around May, but I can update if I hear anything new.

As I stated in the review, I feel the original USB solution will have it's own market. There are lots of people asking for the eSATA version because they want the full through-put, but there are probably going to be others out there who don't have an eSATA connector and still would like to use a device like this.
    qwerty_lesh and pentastar111 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Definitely, I can see this being used in production/art studios. I have a customer that has litterally 20 different external drives that they have filled with their digital pictures.
  9. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    OK, for everyone interested in the eSATA version, I just received word that the unit should be available around the 3rd week of April.

Thermaltake said there was a production delay which prevented both units from coming out at the same time.
    [I.R.A]_FBi and newtekie1 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Sweet, thanks for the info.
  11. Black Hades

Black Hades

Thanks Received:
    I find this product useless out of several reasons:

1. The SATA "L" shaped plug was originally designed for ~50 insertions. It was meant to be inserted and left in place. This is why eSATA plug was redesigned (~5000 plug in/outs).
    Using this docking station for servicing hard drives is not practical. I imagine it would on average last about 6 months in an IT service department. after that the connectors loosen and the docking station most probably "wont recognize" the hard drives.

2. The drive is sitting there in open air, you are exposed to that noise constantly. And also the drive receives no cooling whatsoever (though admittedly most PC cases have poor airflow in the hdd bay area).

3. Bottlenecking a SATA drive with a USB interface is just... wrong. ;) (Ok, ok. I got it. there will be an eSATA version :) but that doesn't make the above said things any better.

As a thought.. If it would be possible to detach and change (cheaply!) the SATA mother connector once it is damaged, this product would double it's usefulness from my point of view.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  12. simlariver New Member

Thanks Received:
    For those who cares, this gadget have been around for some times (8-10 months).

You can get it Here (the eSATA version, that is) No need to wait for Thermaltake to put they stickers on it.
    newtekie1 and qwerty_lesh say thanks.
  13. qwerty_lesh

qwerty_lesh

Thanks Received:
    one thing i defidently agree on is if this product had some kind of refill style changeable data/power socket, it would greatly add appeal for me also.
    in an it environment this'd get way over used and would need to have the socket replaced so if it really only is designed for 50 plugs/unplugs then for me it consider the socket a consumable. for home use tho i guess i could just use a sata to esata cable to plug naked drives to my pc.
  14. breakfromyou New Member

Thanks Received:
    We sell these where I work, and they sell very well for some reason. Most customers ask about IDE and eSATA versions. I tell them to wait and see :\

What would be nice if they had a USB 2.0/eSATA, ide/sata version kind of like that one enclosure they have.
  15. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    It is untrue that SATA was only designed for 50 plug/unplugs. They were designed to be hot swappable just like USB. The cables used were fragile, but there are no cables involved here. So durability shouldn't be an issue.

On top of that, the fact that the Power and SATA connector are all one piece adds stability and durability. Most SATA connectors break from putting too much downward force on them, this can't happen here since when you insert the drive you can't put that type of pressure on the connector.
  16. murdockr New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately, it costs ~$60 and shipping is $33 !!!!:eek: