1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermaltake Element S Case

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by t_ski, Mar 27, 2009.

1. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Hah, the Fail/yes pictures are awesome.
    Man TT uses far too much plastic. Otherwise their cases wouldn't be so bad actually.
  3. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the review but I disagree on your assessment of this case yes it has a lot of plastic but it isn't typical cheap shiny plastic. you list "Non-removable motherboard tray" and "No tool-less options for 5.25" drives or expansion cards" under cons when clearly they included a motherboard access hole and what case manufacturer makes a half decent tooless expansion slot? you should of listed plastic feet under cons, removable hard drive rack and dust filters under pros instead.
  4. mav2000

mav2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The interiors look nice and looks like it can fit a lot of hardware. But overall this just does not do it for me. The front kind of kills it altogether. Also I would imagine that if you wanted the front fans to be of any use, you would have to keep the front panel open.
  5. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    no the front door has spacing around the red trim to allow the front fans to intake kinda like the Antec Performance Series.
  6. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Very good review. I dont know reviewers for their cons, because it is they who are reviewing it on their opinions. I like the case, but I do agree they use more and more plastic. Id like to see an All Aluminum Black version of this :)
  7. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I personally think plastic isn't that bad. Anyway I was wanting to say nice review and that I like the look of that case.
  8. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why anyone would buy this case for around $150 I have no idea. You could pick up this (see below) for the same price and other Lian Li's for far less.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112198

Aside from the fact this case is too expensive, it doesn't look so hot either....and whats with the use of 60mm "Hairdryer" fans??

This entire case is a fail in all honesty. :shadedshu
  9. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    No way to route cables at the back of the tray eh? Kinda nerfs that hole beside the PSU..
  10. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    the Thermaltake Element S is only $119 and it was $89 AR last week. the Lian Li case isn't special at all. this case has more features, better cooling and cheaper price tag.

[​IMG]

look closer and I don't see many cable management issues...
    Bjorn_Of_Iceland says thanks.
  11. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    BumbleBee, Bjorn_Of_Iceland is pretty much correct: there can be very little amount of cables routed behind the tray with the side panel still being able to slide on. The picture you've shown was from the early stages of installation, and later (when the side panel was added) the issue came up. These two images show it better:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I currently have an i7 motherboard installed in the case and I am able to route the 8-pin mobo connector behind the tray. if one or two similar cables are utilized, they may go behind the tray, but the more you add the harder it gets to slide the panel back on.

However, as stated there is quite a bit of room behind the HDD cage, and there could be even more if the cage is rotated 90 degrees.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    you could still pull it off with a little better cable managing (roll cables and use cable ties) and a modular power supply. looks more like a Fail on your end not the case.
  13. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Why should a reviewer bother with making a system look pretty with cable management? The purpose of a review is to give the reader an idea of what the case is and what it can and cannot do. Reviews take quite a bit of time the way it is, exhaustive and particular cable management eats up way too much time. It's up to the consumer/end-user to make their beloved system look pretty.

Good review t_ski! :toast:
    t_ski says thanks.
  14. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    why because I expected more from a case reviewer? it's not to make it look pretty it's to show an example if he can't do it properly maybe he should take a picture of a ruler measuring the distance from the side panel to the motherboard tray like this

[​IMG]
  15. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, it's just your opinion about doing something "properly", but I do like the idea.
  16. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    In anycase, it still is a good review and includes if the case is capable of cable tucking.. where as previous and other site's case review does not show this feature (hiding cables behind the tray) even if the case is capable of doing it..

Its about time that case reviews should be aware of this way of cable management.. where as ever since 2006, I was relying on the pictures and on pic scaling to see if wires were able to fit at the back..
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
  17. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    nice review... all features are presented, including CM possibilities...

btw, I believe cable management is based on two factors. 1) cable man features of the case and 2) users ability and imagination to properly use these features.
    I could add a third factor, but that only applies to modders ;)
  18. Judas

Judas

Thanks Received:
    Nice case,nice review. I have always like TT cases, but it's all down to personnel choice :)
  19. A3DSAIL

A3DSAIL New Member

Thanks Received:
    Reinstall HDD cage 90°?

I thought the Tt Element S review was excellent with great photos. Having just bought this model for a new build, I would like clarification on one point. You said that the HDD cage "...can also be installed facing the front of the case for those that may prefer it." I have removed it to do just that to improve airflow from the front fans, but I can't figure a way to reinstall it 90° from the stock orientation. Can anyone help me out?
  20. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    When you remove the cage, you should see this:

[​IMG]

Remove the front panel, remove the fan mounts, then slide the cage in from the front. The side that was facing the left panel should now be facing the front.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. A3DSAIL

A3DSAIL New Member

Thanks Received:
    t_ski, thanks for the clarification. I was able to reorient the HDD cage and the airflow is much better. See below.

[​IMG]

I also removed the hard plastic feet and replaced them with some AcoustiFeet (self-adhesive soft silicone feet) which should help to decouple the case from its base, attenuating vibrations/noise.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  22. soberspine New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi, I have few questions about this case if anyone can answer me.

1) how much is the distance between the side panel and mother board? the one BumbleBee talks about.

2) does the front door influence the air intake?

3) does the front door blocks the noise?

thanks and sorry for my bad english :)