1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermaltake LANBOX Lite

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Darksaber, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2007
    Ravenas and Falru say thanks.
  2. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Man that is one of the coolest cases i have seen. Espacialy the one with the window.
    Very nice for HTPC.

Nice review btw.

3. mcloughj

Thanks Received:
    Hi, Would anyone know if the new thermaltake maxorb will fit into this bad boy? by the dimensions that i've read it would be a close fit! the maxorb is 95.5 mm tall but judging by the height it would just squeeze in!

4. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's a great looking box, and it doesn't look out of place in a HTPC setup also.

5. dosmond New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do like the case, but wouldn't it make more sense to have mounted the psu fan pointing downward? in that way also sucking warm air off the cpu, instead of sucking in cold air from outside the case, and just blowing it straight out the psu? As for the long video card issue, I doubt it's a big thing, like the review said use the floppy bay for the hd, who uses floppies nowdays anyway? and since optical drives are all in one units you can use a 5 1/4 to 3 1/2 converter there as well for another hd.

6. Darksaber

Thanks Received:
    Well the two rear fans do a great job at blowing the hot air out. I have been using the Lanbox and the Lanbox Lite in such a config, one with a 3200+ the other with a X2 4600+. Both work great and temps are normal. My main editorial rig uses the X2 and I can now turn down the fans of the PSU all the way even at full load with a GF8800GTS.

Yes very true about the optical drive bay, it can be used for a second hard drive, but one should only need to make so many sacrifices to have the benefits of something else. Especially in a case like this. It is nice though that Thermaltake is letting us know that there is a way to mount a 8800GTX. What I wonder about is them R600 ;)

cheers
    DS

7. flashdim New Member

Thanks Received:
    This seems to be the only place where someone has reviewed the LANBox Lite so far, so I have a question (since I really like the layout of the case and am looking to buy one)...

How do the front drive bay doors work? Do they flip down when an optical drive ejects, and are they spring loaded or anything like that? If I were to put an instrument panel or a bunch of extra USB/eSATA inputs in one of the 5" bays, would it be accessible?

Thanks!

8. Darksaber

Thanks Received:
    They are flip down, which means they have a spring loaded door. This flips down when the tray front of a drive forces it open. As soon as the drive returns to its closed position the door flips back up.

I am afraid there is no way to fit any type of front panel inside the case, without having to remove the entire drive cover, which is larger than the drive itself. You would need to mod it to fit a front panel.

If you have any more questions, drop me a PM :)

cheers
    DS

9. flashdim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Doh! Maybe I could find a way to remove the doors, place mini-handles on them, and then put them back in place.

Man, I can't just leave well enough alone. Gotta mod everything. :rolleyes:

10. rhythmeister New Member

Thanks Received:
    Who's selling them in the UK tho? I think I need to replace this rather refined Lian Li case in my sig' with something a bit more showy now like that in black with windows, mmm! :D

11. mcloughj

Thanks Received:
    I haven't found anyone selling them yet either. a few on ebay from the states, but that's not really helpful!

12. Darksaber

Thanks Received:
    Well the case is fairly new. Let me try to find out where it will be sold in the Uk. I will get back to you ASAP.

cheers
    DS

13. rhythmeister New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cheers DS, I'm VERY interested...as long as I can find a worthy buyer for the Lian Li case :D

14. mcloughj

Thanks Received:
    I like the look of your case! So if you are selling i might be interested. I'm in ireland though!

15. rhythmeister New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, the plot thickens! I managed to get a reply from Sharon @ Thermaltake who tells me that no UK retailers are buying this from them but she DID advise that I contact VIP computers who turn out to be a wholesalers. They don't talk when they pick up their phone tho, just silence, so they must be a very meek lot :confused:

16. Zboiing New Member

Thanks Received:
    No the MaxOrb can't fit in it. I first would like this one but I need to change for the Blue Ordb II

17. Zboiing New Member

Thanks Received:
    Got One ! Yeah !

:rockout: I just have mine yesterday, and it's so beautiful ! Black and shiny !

18. rhythmeister New Member

Thanks Received:
    Stop teasing me!

19. mcloughj

Thanks Received:

Cool. thanks for letting me know. Solid.

20. Zboiing New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah

:rockout:

Here it is !!!!!!!!!!

But the board had some problems last night :cry:

Don't know wtah's going on.

[​IMG]

21. Quinncint New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is this beast able to fit a standard ATX Power Supply in it? I've not been able to find any info on if it can or not, only that I will have to swap my ATX Motherboard for a mATX board.

Also, I know that at 280mm in length, the 8800GTX has some issues fitting, with the extra HDD cradle in place, but my XFX8800GTS 320mb is only 230mm in length. Will I have the same issues as it's big brother?

*EDIT*

Would you people recommend EVGA NFORCE4 SLI S939 mATX as a decent motherboard? I have considered upgrading from s939 to AM2, but I'm not prepared to ditch my current cpu and memory at the moment. The cost would be to much for me at this point in time.

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  22. Zboiing New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok now everything is on control. But I'm a little concerned about CPU temperature. I have a Pentium D 2.8 and a Thermaltake blue Orb II : CPU reaches 65 C (149 F) and the board is 42 C (108 F) in idle mode.
    But it's truly QUIET ! (I have an Vantec ION 2 350W).

23. rhythmeister New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why is that on yr desk and not mine?! Would any other Europeans here like to join me in requesting that Thermaltwonk sell the damn thing here??? :banghead:

24. mcloughj

Thanks Received:
    rhythmeister says thanks.
  25. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received: