1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermaltake Light Power Black Edition 700W BUILD QUALITY IS CRAP

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by axis007, Dec 6, 2013.

1. axis007

axis007

Thanks Received:
    So i am building a new pc @ work for a client, and i open the brand new psu from the box and i hear a noise coming from inside the psu.

It turns out the main psu's pcb is not screwed onto the chassis WTF!!! Thermaltake
    i cant upload a photo right now, file size is to large.

2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    You could say....

[​IMG]

It had a screw loose.

[​IMG]

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Though on a more serious note - RMA it. dont just say TT are bad because you received a duff PSU for the first time. Their build quality has genuinely gotten a lot better then it was 10-15years ago. maybe the thread on the screws got worn out or something, who knows.

Its normal to receive a duffer once in a while.

SaiZo, Law-II and Norton say thanks.
  3. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    +1 the last Seasonic I bought lasted less than a month (M12 II 750w)- the replacement is still going strong :cool:

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    use techpowerup.org for the image upload and resize.

i've always hated thermaltake PSU's for the low quality after four of them exploded at once at a LAN event after a fuse was tripped, and the 50 odd other machines there all survived without a hitch.

you got the 'lite' edition which means 'even cheaper than the rest' as well...

to be fair this was at least 5 years ago, and i'm sure things have changed. having to deal with the chaos at the LAN event isnt something i'll forget easily however.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    GreiverBlade and axis007 say thanks.
  5. axis007

axis007

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that's what you get when your Client is tight with $$$. It's so hard to convince a noob to spend lots on a good brand psu. I personally own a Silverstone EVO 1000Watt gold rated & it's a beast, it can power 3x 280x matrix platinum's without a issue.

So Anyware will be getting a RA back soon, i hope that the other 9 i have sitting in a box are actually built correctly.

http://img.techpowerup.org/131205/IMAG0486.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  6. Tt Enthusiasts

Tt Enthusiasts Thermaltake Rep

Thanks Received:
    Hey Axis,

Sorry to see you're having issues, and we always push to have the best possible options available with plenty of models and variances in feature sets to fit any usage model.

for you, please either drop me a PM or contact our support and we can get you taken care of rather quickly...

Our tech support and RMA team are all in southern California and we will have no issue getting this swapped out for you :)

7. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    i had a Tt Smart 750w issue (blown cap after 2 month), the RMA went smoothly, on the opposite the Corsair GS600 i had for a month who started to make rattle noise with the fan took aeon to come from RMA, now the Smart is in a friend build and the GS is in a ... hum ... i don't remember where i did put that one ... and i use, now, a In Win psu (cheap 700w Gold 80+ and can hold 2 GTX 580 Matrix pretty good OC'ed) welll i call it cheap because i did not see any other 80+ gold 700w at ~100chf only bronze...

The Smart is now running for more than a year without issue so the 1st one had to be a factory defective one, every brand can have that problem and the main difference is the RMA handling ... i love lotto ... don't you?

8. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:
    I really wish there was some way to remove factory defects or issues out of the equation but it is simply a fact of life no matter the industry you are in, but we do try to ensure fi you ever do experience an issue that we get it taken care of quickly and easily.

rtwjunkie says thanks.
  9. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    AFAIK, there is no charge in the capacitors if the PSU has never been used so happy screwing Axis. Although it would void warranty so dunno if it is a good idea to you.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. axis007

axis007

Thanks Received:
    THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR BAD BUILD QUALITY, PERIOD. The fact of the matter is, the psu has no screws attaching the main pcb to the chassis.

Take a look...

http://img.techpowerup.org/131210/IMAG0496.jpg

11. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So, PM him and get it taken care of. No point in screaming on the internet.

GreiverBlade says thanks.
  12. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:

The screws are usually inside btw. those are bolts. usually the PCB inside is bolted in like putting on a seatbelt. Sometimes bad stuff slips past QA. Its unavoidable but theres no point kicking and screaming about it like a complete child. Yes the PSU is borked, Yes you are angry and rightly so but deal with it in a mature manner. Contact the retailer where you purchased it and get them to replace it if its still under warranty or just talk to our TT rep here or open up an RMA ticket with TT support. you being angry isnt going to solve the problem

13. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    Wow, OP isn't the brightest cookie eh? How do you expect to know if the PCB was screwed down or not by looking at the outside of the unit? Those my friend are the standoffs for the PCB, which means it probably is screwed down inside.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  14. Tt Enthusiasts

Thanks Received:

Hi Axis,

As I said, I am more than happy to help however I can, but to post images and keep posting on the forum but not contact me or the support team will not help the PSU be replaced any quicker.

Please feel free to contact if you would like help.