1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermaltake PSU Warranty - Not getting the same model back. Need advice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Doc. Caliban, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Doc. Caliban New Member

Thanks Received:
    UPDATE: I just spoke with someone at Thermaltake (VERY nice guy helping me) and he assured me that the PSU has undergone two revisions since the review here, and that it will be of the quality that I am expecting.

Thanks!

-Doc

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you even tried the RMA process to even see what they are giving you?
    Once the process is started you could bring that up with Tt, and see what they do. If the PSU you are using is failing, sorry to say this, but any PSU is better than none.

Also an idea of your system specs may help a bit too. The PSU may rank a bit better if you are only using 600-800W of its power.

3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    you could contest it if you wish but that toughpower grand is pretty much Thermaltakes top-of-the range PSU offering. They dont have anything better then that,

They probably dont have many of units of the original PSU floating about so the bottom line is, you either accept the RMA, or ask them to give you credit. They wont give you a FULL refund, they will give you a refund based on street value of the old PSU which is hardly going to be as much as the toughpower grande you recieved back

My advice. take the toughpower grand - sell it on ebay or TPU and use the money to buy a better PSU of your choice.

4. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    I would rewire a new fan in there personally.

5. Doc. Caliban New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did, yes; that's how I know what they are offering as an exchange. I was worried because it got a fairly poor review here compared to the one I have now, but they have apparently undergone two revisions since then. (I just spoke with them.) I feel ok about it now.

System was originally built with three GTX280's and currently has 2 GTX580s.

Very interesting points! I feel a lot better about the unit they are sending now.

If it's relatively easy to replace the fan (Mechanically, I'm more than capable; I just don't know how easy it is to find the correct replacement part.) I may very well go that route.

-Doc

6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    if you wish to discuss things further, We have a Thermaltake Rep who is an active member of the forum.

You can find his section Here

Post in the 'What Can Thermaltake Do For You?' thread and he should get back to you shortly

7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    +2, yeah try the TT guy on TPU he seems like he likes helping as much as possible.. I had a bad part of my case and even though the case was about 3 yo and way out of production went to the effort to find me the rear plate which he did find me one..