• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermaltake Theron review

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Today I will be taking the time to take a look at the Thermaltake eSPORTS THERON Gaming Mouse. This is Thermaltake's shot at a mainstream laser gaming mouse. The target group is MMORPG and RTS gamers. At first glance the mouse is of good quality with a very nice fit and feel, which is something I am not used to with my abnormally long fingers.

DESIGN SPECIFICATIONS

Color|Black
DPI|5600
Sensor Type|Laser
No. of Buttons|8
Game Genre|RTS
Memory Size|128kb
No. of Macro Keys|40
No. of Game Profiles|5
Lighting Effects|Yes
Pause-Break Effect|Yes
Color Options|7
USB Cable Length|1.8m Braided
Weight-in Design|yes
Graphical UI|Yes
Industrial Rubber-Coating|Yes
Gold-Plated USB|Yes
Dimension|123.65 x 73.8 x 40.2mm
Design|Mid-low profile keys
Switch Click Force|70g +/- 10g
Tactile|Sensitive snap and good rhythm
Noise Level|Low
Button Life Expectancy|5 Million Clicks

After using the mouse for a couple of weeks I was impressed at how comfortable it was. Even in extended Battlefield 3 gaming my wrist and fingers stayed cramp free. The on the fly DPI adjustments from 100DPI to 5700DPI also proved to be very useful in my RTS of choice the Command and Conquer series. In normal day to day use I did find myself hitting the forward button as opposed to the back button I was aiming for. It could simply be muscle memory left over from my previous mouse. The right side macro button however worked perfectly in every way shape form and fashion. After adding it as a hot key in many FPS and RTS games I found it to be quite useful. Unluckily after heavy use the scroll wheel has developed an annoying squeak.

The Thermaltake eSports THERON features a choice of 7 different color choices changeable through the included Thermaltake software.

While the color choices were a fun add-on I chose to stick with the default red as it matches the lighting in my PC as well as my red and black mouse pad. I did find the Thermaltake software to be a bit glitchy when cycling through the color choices. After a couple of software lock-ups I reinstalled Windows 7 and found the same issue. Having not seen anyone else with this issue it could have been my personal hardware setup causing the issues.

I found the pop-up forward and back arrows kick out to be somewhat annoying and wished the software offered a way to disable it other than closing the Thermaltake program. Other than that little nuance I found the 5 profiles along with the battle mode to be quite amusing and useful. The battle mode allows the internal LED's to change colors as you click faster. It was quite fun to watch during Battlefield 3.

As with most mice of the class the THERON features an adjustable weight using 5 4.5g weights all neatly tucked away in the base of the mouse. The 22.5g max weight still felt a little light for me in day to day use and while gaming.

The 128kb of internal memory allows you to access your profiles while away from home. The button for this, the on the fly polling switch and function lock buttons are all located on the bottom of the mouse. The function lock button locks out the side buttons. The polling switch will allow you to adjust the polling rate of the laser between 1000Hz, 500Hz, and 125Hz all on the fly.

Final Thoughts

Tt eSPORTS by Thermaltake, is a big change from Thermaltake of old with a lot more focus on what the people want. I found the THERON to be a quite good mouse. With a few minor issues that can easily be worked out I find the mouse to be a very attractive buy for anyone looking at a good quality mouse with a ton of features.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Thanks again Thermaltake for providing me with this mouse to review :)

For anybody curious this is the mouse about a month later

The finish is still good, but discolors from the grease/oil on my hands from work.