1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

thermaltake water2.0 pro with asrock z77 extreme9

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by shaykal, Aug 8, 2012.

1. shaykal

Thanks Received:
    Hello all,

Yesterday evening I finally started building my rig which composes of Asrock z77 extreme9 motherboard, core i5 3570k CPU and thermaltake water2.0 pro cooling.

After I finished everything and logged into windows, I wanted to see the CPU's temperature.
    I use "Core Temp" and it showed 65-68 degrees Celsius in idle. (max temp was 79!)
    Let me just add that I didn't overclock just yet.
    when I look in the bios to see the temperature is says 40 degrees Celsius. when I use the ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility to see the temperature it also says 40 degrees Celsius.

The questions are:

How is it possible that there is such a difference between Core Temp and the bios/Utility temperature?

How can I know which one of them is accurate?

What other utilities would you recommend to measure temperatures?

Do you think that maybe if I installed Core Temp again it would show the same temperature as the bios? (I took the Hard Drive that I used in my other rig which already had windows and other software installed, including core temp, and used that in my new rig)

Even if the bios/Utility temperature is right, isn't 40 degrees Celsius a little high for idle using water2.0 pro?

Let me also add that I cleaned the thermal compound that came with the water cooling, and applied Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound.
    It's only about the 3rd time that I actually apply thermal compound so it's not like it's the first time, but it's not something I do everyday, so maybe something went wrong there also...

In my other rig I have noctua nh-d14, so I can try and put it in my new rig just to test the temperature but it's a hassle doing it, so I'd like to not go this path if possible, unless you really think it's worth while.

Thanks for reading this and I appreciate all your answers!
    :)

2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    BIOS temps are always like CPU not Core temp, so they will read a touch higher than individual cores, and check out what RealTemp or AIDA say, I've never been as big of a fan of CoreTemp as I have been with those 2.

shaykal says thanks.
  3. shaykal

Thanks Received:
    Hi dark2009
    I downloaded yesterday RealTemp and it shows some more "regular" numbers,
    I don't know why Core Temp doesn't work well...
    Anyway, thanks for the advise!
    :)