1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermo electric cooling anyone?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by D007, Apr 6, 2007.

1. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Just bought this VIGOR GAMING CLT-M2LI 92mm CPU Cooling System (MACS) for Intel and am really looking forward to seeing how it performs.. I was wondering if anyone else has thermo electric cooling and if it had any quirks or what you thought about it in general. this thing looks like a beast lol.. got it on new egg with some of that new mx-1 paste.. man my temps should drop like 20c with these combinations.. wow, i will be able to overclock to like 3.6 ghz if this works out as planned. and my system stabilises of course..lol..

Heres a pic of it if you want to get an idea.. it's huge lol.. you likely need a full tower just to mount it. but it is not ambient dependent and is stated to run better and cooler than most (90-99%) of all water cooling.. only one water cooling system beat it and that was only until they reached high voltage and the vigor came out on top at 3.6 ghz on a pentium 4..lol..

this is per their testing results which of course may be biased.. we all know how people like to say their stuff is the best.. I'll let you know how it turns out.. I ordered it for next day so if im lucky I'll get it this weekend. it already shipped out today because i ordered it at like 9 am..... i woke up with cooling on the brain :D.. I was going to get the other ( more expensive ) one but people have rma'd it because it was way to loud.. this one is said to run very quietly.. I can't stand noise so thats a no no for me.. lol..

well, heres the link to it if ya wanna see.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835702005
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  2. savillm

savillm New Member

Thanks Received:
    looks sweet
  3. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Danka :D.. nice rig by the way.. i think you ran it very cleanly, cables are out of the way except that one for the fan but i think it in general looks very well kept and i like the case work.. good stuff.. is that a thermo electric cooler too? well, happy easter.. :toast:
  4. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Well I have the Ultra ChillTech CPU Cooler and it rocks !
    http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=28092
    Check it out . :rockout:
  5. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I have the same cooler for my FX57 and love it:slap:

PS ambient temperature matters allot to the vigor system , but theres lots you can do about that.One you can add a second fan to the opposite side of the stock fan, two you could vent the hot air out a vent in the tower or add an exhaust fan right after the the peltiers vent, or what ever.I think you will be happy though!
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  6. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Yes I did this too .Just look .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This has lowered the temps and also keep them down.
    I am planing on a 80 peltier to put in this just to see what that will do .
  7. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    The nice thing about the Ultra is its ready for INTEL or AMD as the Vigor is one or the other.Nice set up by the way!!!
  8. savillm

savillm New Member

Thanks Received:
    thx for the comments mate no that cpu cooler is a Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro.
  9. trickson

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just to give you a clear view on temps and how well this HSF works.
  10. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    how much those run for? thing looks like a friggin refrigerator lol.. but i bet it cools like one too.
    wow those are some extremely low temps, lower than ambient even.. thats the real indicator that a cooling system works well to me.. if you cant go below ambient with a cooling system then it relies on ambient temperature and will get hotter as the water or the room gets hotter.. very nice..

the peltier cooling system on their web site says "it does not rely on ambient temperature"
  11. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    you have to have a piece on the back for this right?
  12. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have used T.E.C in the past could run a 2.8 ht p4 @ 4 ghz when it was unheard of but.....
    it was unstable and when I dropped it to 3.5 it was stable but....... it froze my motherboard
    but that was way back and it was a massive swifthec cooler I still have it and its 320 watt psu :laugh:
  13. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    This cooler costs more than my processor which it would be cooling if I bought it :eek:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    lol I feel ya, but if ya wanna play with the toys, ya gotta do what ya gotta do..lol.. seriously i have so much fun seeing how far I can push things I don't think I'd all that much mind if i fry something just because the time im using it is like the most interesting game ever lol.

it's like finding that awsome cheap shortcut your always looking for in a game lol.. but you can make the shortcut better and better and better, until all you have to do is stand in the corner and make the boss kill himself lol..

so does anyone have this cooler? lol.. as time goes by things tend to get better ya know lol.. Im hoping that is the case here.. my air conditioner is cool all the time anyway but if this wont cut it with the big boys, im going to rma it before it gets here. but per the tsts i saw on their site it was top notch.. if it's not, theyll be taking it back.. up their arse..lol..

All I know so far is it was the most expensive one i could get lol.. well one dowm from that and i didnt get that cause it had reviews for being loud.. no go for me. where did u guys even find these things? they look like their expensive.. how much they go for? and what are your temperature drops?
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  15. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    yea there is a back plate for it.. but so what lol.. it's not that big a deal if your use to taking your stuff apart and im like a pro at it now. hell 5 minutes ill have this thing stripped like a car in new yourk central park lol.
  16. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Hooked it all up, dropped like 20c easy at max load lol.. waiting on the thermal paste to set.. the MX-1 is supposed to be the new top of the line so I should end up idling at about 50c at max load pushing 1.62 volts to an e400.. i oc'd to 3.4 ghz last night and cooling has not been a problem.. me installing it upside down was however a problem lmfao.. yea i installed it upside down.. had to fix that but even upside down it was kickin arse..lol..
  17. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Nice I am glad you are happy cuz I really like mine!!!!:toast:
  18. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    NICE thermo electric!!!!!!!!
  19. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    So Far, well after installing it upside down and fixing that... now, so far, it has run like a champ..lol.. It idles me at about 36c even at 1.67 volts. max load will be like 55ish once the thermal paste sets in i'd assume. I might just drop my overclock and run it at like 3.2 ghz.. i had it at 3.4 ghz but it didn't seem fully stable to me.. i think it was because my pcie frequencies kept resetting themselves though in bios for some dumb reason. i'd set it to 150 and 250.. thats like 3700ish i suppose.. but it kept defaulting even after saving it and acting like all was well.. so i went back to 130 and on the mcp 230. it allowed me to overclock my gpu higher. i had a wall at 620 core, but this allowed me to go to 640 core it appears, which made a signifigant impact on frame rates. from like 71 max fps in 3d mark 06 to 73. I don't like running 55c though.. I know it's probiblly safe and all but i was hoping to be more along the 50c lines. im killing the voltage though so it's expected no matter what cooling i had. unless i had nitros on tap i couldnt cool this thing any higher. but it runs great.. the blue light matched up absolutely perfectly in my box.. my box look awsome to me now..lol.. it may not be all crazy like some stuff I see for looks but it's dang sure not standard :D

Revised: for some reason now all of a sudden this thing let me raise my voltages.. this mobo is so dam sketchy.. it wouldnt let me go about 1.62 forever now all of a sudden bam, i can go to 1.7.. idk wtf..lol.. that doesnt even make sense to me.. stable at 3.4 ghz now, so im stickin with it..
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  20. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    interesting that cooler setup is exactly the same as the one on my gfx card only the pci card has been integrated into the gfx pcb it even has a sticker that says designed by macs
  21. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Your rig is NICE on the eyes... sweet.:cool:
  22. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i officially love this cooler, no friggin joke!! lol.. im at 1.67v on an e6400 conroe running 3.4 ghz stable. i idle at like 37c "i do have air conditioning" and i max load at like 58c. I couldn't be more pleased.. mine says MACS on the side too, with the readout panel in the back of the case all hooked up into the pci slot..

fyi if you dont have a gpu cooler and you get this cooler, you can take the stock heatsink fan off your cpu that you take off and cut off the clips, make it flush and use it on your gpu with a very small amount of glue for a temp fix to cooling. helped me drop a good 4c. im just using it til Monday when my gpu cooling fan comes in. even if you have a 3 prong connection you can still use this fan on it if it's 4 prong, just line it up with the place the clip lock slides into on 3 prongs, it works fine.

I'll take a pic soon, this thing is looking better every week..:)
  23. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    damn 1.67v? I'm running my 6400@3.2g on stock volts with the same idle/load temps as you, but I'm using a Tt Blue Orb for cooling. I'm sure it would run @3.4 with a tiny vCore bump, but 1.67? that's gotta be too high
  24. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Seems when i go much lower i can loose stability while running alot of programs. it will shut down the system.. ill try to down it some if i can but last time i tried it didnt work out so well lol..
    I dont know how u managed to go stock voltages.. if i tried anything near stock it wont even load windows, it will just shut down while the bars are going on the 1st screen.
  25. Khriez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thermo Electric Cooling WITHOUT condensation issues and without the need to insulate... love it :D