1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermolab Baram

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Athlonite, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    OK so I'm looking round to replace my aging Tuniq Tower 120 (not the extreme) and read a few reviews of the Baram... Anybody got one hows it going, does anyone think this would be a good replacement I'm on a limited budget so I'm looking at under a hundy NZ$ and all the noctua's here are well over that, so have at it no just yes no answers please I'd like solid why to's or not to's please :toast::respect:

2. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    what the a whole day and nobody wants to give advice or a slagging off hmmmm perhaps I should ask at guru3d lol

3. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    the chances are slim that someone with a Baram saw this and ignored you. it's much more likely no one that has seen it can answer you!

would you rather have a bunch of answers like mine? i can't answer your question but feel the
    need to explain WHY there is no answer as of yet? don't make those type of comments then.

Athlonite says thanks.
  4. mav2000

mav2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have used the baram for a while and found it to be a great heatsink. But in my testing the ven x did much better. If its much cheaper than the ven x go for it. You wont be disappointed

Athlonite says thanks.
  5. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    @ digibucc hey that's ok atleast you posted right ;)

@ Mav2000 yeah the Ven X runs at $158 bucks here I can get the baram for $86 so looks like the Baram it is then, just aslong as it doesn't interfere with tall dimms in slot 1 like the CM hyper 212 does.... it'll be pity to see the Tuniq Tower go though it's been a great cooler but I think it's seen it's day I might chuck it on the sons skt 754 A64 3700+

digibucc says thanks.
  6. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I am on water cooling so I can't help you out sorry .

7. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    no need to be sorry I'd go water to but fuck me if I'm going to shell out over 4 hundy to do so

8. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Mine did not cost me that . Like 200 - 250 bucks for my WC set up . But yeah it is far better than air cooling and give's you way better head room for Over clocking just look at my sig so far 4.1GHz and LOOK at that RAM !!! 1100MHz !!!! Just fantastic ! On a Q9650 no less !

9. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    you should try living in New Zealand for a bit retailer and etailer love to over charge for shit here

Pumps $128 ~ $279
    rad EK360 $150
    WB EK supreme nickel $139
    GPU x2 EK supreme uni plexi $80
    res EK bay spin $109

so you can see it very quickly adds up to a shitload

10. trickson

Thanks Received:
    You know you can get some things cheaper . Like a rad , Go to your local auto junk yard and take out a heater core and use it ! May only cost you 40 bucks and will work great ! pumps go to your local green house and pick up a water pump there 60-100 bucks ! I mean some times you need to get creative . I got my water hose from home depot !

11. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    Like I said you wanna come live in NZ for a while you'd be amazed at how much more we pay for things here than you guys do that includes auto wreckers who seem to think their shit is made of gold

12. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    thermolab bada is 15$, check hot deals

13. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    @ de Das dude linky please ;)

14. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    With the Baram you'll get at most a 5c drop in temps. It's up to you if it is worth it or not. :)

15. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    yeah 46 ~ 45 c sounds better than 52c while folding

16. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
  17. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    52C is fine while folding...you are not saving anything running it 45ish save the money for a better chip maybe an X6 if you are folding it just my opinion that a cooler that cost nearly as much as the chip better drop temps more than the 3C you will see in all reality.

or save for water cooling like was said heatercore, in line fuel pump, hose from the hardware store and a block off of ebay your good to go. or you can see if anyone has the XSPC rasa kit in stock which is all of $149 CONUS

alll that being said my watercooling setup is worth more than the rig it cools right now so do what you want it is your PC and look at the cost of an H50 or H70 damn good performance from a little package

18. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    he is right you know.
    infact more heat from computer = less heating for room reqd LOL.

in the end you can always go for full water cooling and forget your folding rig :)

19. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    It's summer here so I'm running the aircon so less heat means less money spent running the AC yeah as I've said in previous posts come live here in NZ and be prepared to be shocked at the sky high prices we pay what may cost $15US/CAN is going to cost nearer $90+ here, WC will have to wait till I'm earning more money but it's where I'll be heading once AM3+ mobo's and bulldozer based CPU's are here... Until then I think the Baram will do as a reasonable replacement for the Tuniq Tower 120 if you'd like to take a peak at what we pay go here www.pricespy.co.nz and laugh at us poor Kiwi's gettin ripped

20. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    still atleast you get stuff. cool stuff is hard to find here. and i dont like online shopping.

21. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    I generally don't online shop either if I can help it but most retailers in my town Don't stock alot of stuff so for me online etailers are just the thing I can get what I want at the best price around my entire PC is made from kit from all around New Zealand, and if need be I can drive to the etailers address to hassle them for warranty service if they choose to take the we sold it now it aint our prob attitude which for over the past 5 to 6 years I've only ever had to do once

22. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    you can drive. i dont have a license yet :(
    i hafta take the bus.

23. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    dude I've had my License since 1984

24. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    and im less than half your age LOL.
    just 18. and we dont have a car. had one. crashed, dont felt the need anymore(where i live can be considered NY, i have everything at a under 5minutes walk :D).

25. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    Thermolab Baram = $86NZD
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T = $281NZD

think I'll go with the Baram for now though the hotter the CPU the more resistance in the transistors and more power required to switch them on and off