1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thief 4 anxiety thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by imperialreign, May 6, 2009.

1. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    For all you taffers out there - we all know that some rumors started popping up last year in regards to Eidos Mont. beginning work on reviving a few of Looking Glass Studios' projects . . . Deus Ex and Thief the most notorious and well respected of these.

Well, various screenshots for the Deus Ex 3 WIP have popped up here and there, but the rumour mill has been rather quiet in regards to the potential Theif 4 . . . perhaps a combination of the fan communities fears of what sacrilege might be enacted upon the series, perhaps as well the lack of any "official" statement about the project from Eidos . . .

but, it appears that Eidos is gearing up for an official announcement of the Thief 4 project, supposedly on May 11th: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Official-Thief-4-Announcement-Coming-on-May-11-110780.shtml

http://www.eidosmontreal.com/ - of interest, the font used in the "project 2" .jpg is extremelly similar to the fonts used during Thief cutscenes

perhaps this is just the calm before the storm . . . who knows, really . . . if it is true, the announcement, then, is just days away . . .

so - here's to hoping :toast:

2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Finally, someone revives the Ion Storm products. It would be stupid for Eidos to completely let those franchises die. At the same time, it might take a necromancer to revive them because it has been so long--younger players haven't ever heard of Thief 3 or Deus Ex.

We also can't forget that these games are likely to be designed for console first and PC second. Arguably, that's the reason why Invisible War sucked (according to most people).

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I completely agree . . .

although, Eidos Mont. has been much more open about development of Deus Ex 3 . . . they've remained fairly quiet about a possible Thief 4 - but have dropped some major hints for the fan community to get worked up over.

The Thief series has a stronger fan following than the Deus Ex series, so I'm sure it'll be successful no matter what - hard to imagine, but the community has kept the faith alive, still enticing new players to go back and play The Dark Project and The Metal Age, even being over 10 years old now. New missions have been constantly released for all 3 games, as well as numerous other "mods" here and there tha have kept the community alive and flourishing . . . and the most ambitious mod project of all The Dark Mod has been a source of fascination for the whole community . . . as eagerly as we await a possible Thief 4, we've been patiently waiting The Dark Mod's development for over 4 years now.

As to the console porting - if they do it right, like how was done with Deadly Shadows, than it won't hurt the game too much. The porting made for some awkward movements in-game, but didn't feel like the PC gamers were being punished.

4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    They are being punished with frequent loads and small play areas. Compare Deus Ex to Deus Ex 2, for example. Liberty Island has zero load screens on Deus Ex and it is huge. In Deus Ex 2, there's at least two separate maps and both can't even hold a light next to Deus Ex in terms of size (I'd guess 1/4 or 1/8th the size with two times the load screens).

In Thief 3, when you are trying to move quickly about the city, you often see load screens in under one minute from the last load screen. It gets rather annoying.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    the loading screens were my only real issue with TDS . . . it wasn't too bad one you were actually in a mission, though . . .

either way, it's one thing that needs to be addressed with PC ports - REMOVE THE LOADING ZONES!!! Our systems have the capability to constantly update and swap things in and out of memory, MAKE USE OF IT!!

6. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    just say no to consoles.....

7. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    PC Gaming ftw. I played the first thief and it was awesome (altough i never really finished it :()

8. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    better late than never :toast:

9. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Interesting... This was one of the few games that really put sound as the main theme.

10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Shame they messed up Deus Ex 2 i still have it but found it to be nothing at all like it's original and have no idea tot his date what happened in that as it was total crap..

Thief 4 ooh been waiting on this some time now glad that their going continue it :).

11. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Never played the others.:(, so not so excited.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  12. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    yerp - and I wouldn't be surprised if Thief 4 supports EAX 5.0HD . . . actually, I'd be surprised if it didn't . . .

I expect nothing less than stellar audio for any Thief title

yeah - they botched DE2 . . . although, thankfully, they didn't foobar TDS.

they're worth checking out - nothing like any other FPS you've ever played . . .

closest game I can think of as far as similarity - the original Splinter Cell

CDdude55 says thanks.
  13. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
  14. Saakki

Saakki New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im waiting this so badly and that wait is gonna be long :laugh: god damn first and second Thief were great games and still are. Third was decent but not as athmospheric but can blame it on consoles :pimp: Garret will stab your arses !

LMAO at those brick-projects ahaha got to love the sound when u steal something ! thanks imperialreign : D

15. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's now official! w00t!

:rockout:

There's now an offical Thief 4 website: http://www.thief4.com/

it seems that Eidso still is being stingy on the details - no new news aside from the development announcement and opening of an official site.

I'd recommend joining in the discussion forums and let your ideas be heard! :rockout:

16. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ahhzz says thanks.