1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thief 4 Gameplay

Discussion in 'Games' started by natr0n, Feb 16, 2014.

1. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:

Jaffakeik and AsRock say thanks.
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I don't want to watch it because spoilers. All I want to know if it is like Thief: Deadly Shadows. That game was awesome and seeing how the same studio that rebooted Deus Ex (another Ion Storm IP) did an excellent job, I expect Thief 4 to be amazing too.

Doc41 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    I hope it'll be great! Been waiting for this for a while now :) (Didn't watch the vid as well I don't want to tease or spoil it for me)

Doc41 says thanks.
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    It don't really give any thing away but for one thing reminded me of thief 3 that's for sure.

I know i will get it asap screw what those critics say as there is always some one..

5. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    Mission gameplay looks to be insanely immersive however FOV seems to be around 60 degrees for gaming on console/tv and since game lets you see your body from first person view I wonder if FOV is going to be adjustable at all. I sure hope so because I would increase it at least to 80 degrees for playing at desk.

6. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    Nice vid watched it all,dont care about spoilers.But not getting it ,maybe later when it drops price.one big issues thatguards that guarding room or treasure doesnt get alerted or suspicious when some item is gone from shelves what actualy guard must see every time he passed by,but he's not

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  7. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    I read an article somewhere saying it was nothing like Dishonored (which is what I wanted)...a lot more linear and hand holding it seemed. Not something I want to play...never played the old games so I don't really care about that. I'll probably pick it up when it gets cheaper.

8. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    This is Thief 4, not Dishonored 2. If you haven't played the old games you have missed out. Thief 3 was not as good as Thief 2, not even close, and Dishonored was not a modern Thief (some have actually suggested that).

Anyway this is a lost cause. I can't care for it, I will just be dissapointed. And even it it isn't terrible, it will still have the same problem Deus Ex HR had: It will be called Thief. They can never live up to it.

9. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    This was awesome.

10. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Just finished the game last night. Not as good as I'd hoped after the first couple missions. Story is lackluster, navigation is hit and miss, and there's certain scripted segments with occult, alerted guards or combat scenarios that are quite frankly a bit annoying. I don't know why they always insist on throwing in some bizarre occult aspect to their games.

Why can't it just be about a lone thief trying to survive in a corrupt political/business environment instead of this crazy stuff they come up with? There's plenty you can write in to a story just around power hungry people taking advantage of the public for personal gain. The game is also poorly optimized. I'd give it about a 7/10 at best.

The only real reason to buy this game is for the stealth and side objective challenges. On my first play through I was able to get mostly Opportunist rating on the default difficulty level, and I never once bought anything. I spent the handful of Focus Points I acquired during gameplay on some focus upgrades, but none of them were what I'd call necessary.

The game's got a ridiculous amount of petty trinkets laying around, making the looting all items objective tedious, especially with the way the map is laid out and the somewhat inconsistent navigation, not to mention tons of loading points. I wasn't a big fan of DE: HR or TR 2013, but they're FAR better than Thief 2014. I know this team is capable of better quality games than this.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    AsRock and Vario say thanks.
  11. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I already have the game, but haven't played it yet as I want to wait until the TrueAudio/Mantle drivers come out for the full immersive experience. But it's a little disappointing that most of what I hear about this game isn't really that great. Especially since I grew up on this series, I would have thought they would have dug a bit deeper and gave the fans of this series what THEY wanted more than the potential few new fans they could get. But then again, sequels/reboots usually disappoint in ways that sway people from ever believing in a franchise again. Case and point, BF4 is my last battlefield no matter what. I have no more faith in Dice/EA in this. Too many bugs, game-breaking crashes, and other nonsense.

I should've learned my lesson when I pre-ordered Duke Nukem Forever, but I went against my better judgment and thought "Hey, since it's Thief, my favorite game of all-time, I think it will be good cuz it's going to be overseen by Eidos." and I went ahead and pre-ordered it as well. Never again will I pre-order anything. Oh, and if there is DLC down the road for this game, it will slip under my radar. Way to give fans of the original game what they wanted Eidos, good job.

12. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    I've gotta say, this really looks pretty good! I may get it and try hard NOT to compare it to the previous Thief games.

13. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Due to reviews, I'll pick this one up on a good sale... Which is disappointing to me, I wanted the game to be excellent.

14. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I had the original Thief the Dark Project. Game looked amazing back in the day, now its pretty primitive looking but for the time it was unparalleled. The sword fighting was quite fun.

15. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    Have you noticed the uncanny valley effect in the new Thief. Compare these two Garrets:

Old Garret:
    [​IMG]

New Garret:
    [​IMG]

Something is not right about his face and hood - this way his face can never be in the shadow.
    Looks like one artist did the face and the other did the suit :D

16. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I just discovered the dark mod, basically just thief but free http://www.thedarkmod.com/main/ for anyone disappointed in the new thief game. The training level feels like Thief: The Dark Project. Its built on the doom 3 engine. I haven't done much besides install it and wander around the training level but it seems promising.

17. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    Is this 1 player?