1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thinking about buying two full Cover water blocks ... And have some questions.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by 20mmrain, Apr 26, 2011.

1. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    So I am thinking about buying two full cover water blocks and adding my two GTX 580's into my loop. But before I do I never had full water blocks before. I always went with Universal ones. So I have some questions and here they are....

1. I had two 6950's and my i7 hooked up to my loop before with a EK Thick 4x120mm rad. Will that still be good enough for the GTX 580's? I suspect so but because the added heat of the VRM's-Memory-Chip that's why I am asking.

2. I am thinking about these blocks....http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13004/ex-blc-907/EK_GeForce_5X0_GTX_GW_VGA_Liquid_Cooling_Block_-_Nickel_EK-FC5X0_GTX_GW_-_Nickel_-_Non_Reference_Design.html .... So what would I need?
    a. 4x G 1/4 Plugs? Or do the blocks come with them? ( am assuming plugs are needed for the bottoms and tops of the holes you don't use)
    b. SLI Water connector? Which one should I be looking at? I have a Asus Maximus Extreme IV board and the cards are in the 1st and 3rd slot. (Would something like this work?) http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9342/koo-177/Koolance_Dual_VID_Connector_-_Adjustable_1_Slot_Spacing_CNT-VDA2_.html?tl=g30c101s873
    c. Should I get extra thermal Pads... it says they are included but would you suggest extra thermal pads?

3. How much difference is there between the resistance of these blocks and the resistance of the Swiftech MCW80'S? Will they slow down the flow horribly?

These are all questions I need to know before I make my decision. I am pretty sure I am gonna do it... but before I do I just want to know what I am in for first :)

Thanks Guys

2. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Anyone???

3. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Anything else? :)

edit, check out www.Sidewindercomputers.com great pricing on everything. Also www.performance-pcs.com :D

20mmrain says thanks.
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    1. yes
    2.a) plugs come with the block, fittings and barbs do not.
    b)I just used a short length of tubing between them.
    c)Should be enough in the kit, but if you mess up on cutting the pad you may need more.
    3. shouldn't be all that bad.

20mmrain says thanks.
  5. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Thanks and Thanks I appreciate it.... a no nothing else :)

6. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget to post some pics of those blocks on the cards!

20mmrain says thanks.
  7. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    The question I have is this , Are the current WB's you have not doing the job well ? Or is this just to cool the RAM chips as well ? I am getting 2 Universal WB's for my video cards as I do not think that my video cards will work with full cover block's . And also this will give me less hassle in the future for using them on other cards ( I hope ) . I do not know how much restriction you will get with full cover WB's but I do not think they will give you that much that you should be worried if so just get a second pump , That is if you see that there is a flow problem , Till then just give them a try .

8. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Universal ones cool the chips just fine. That;s not the problem. And when they were on my HD6950's they fit perfectly. But to use them with the GTX 580's I would need to modify a stock part to get them to work since wiftech doesn't make a bracket for it yet. Which if I did that it would cause a problem in case I ever needed to RMA the cards. That is why I want to swtch. Plus they look really bad ass. :)

trickson says thanks.
  9. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Sounds great . Mine should be here Friday or Saturday for my HD5770's . I went with the universal WB's . I hope they look bad ass on mine . As this will be my first time water cooling 3 things at the same time !