1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thinking about creating a RAMdisk

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by hat, Aug 6, 2010.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I recently came across 2x512MB DDR2 675. I was thinking if I could get it to run at 1000 like the rest of my memory, I would add it to my existing setup and make a RAMdisk. Here's my 2 questions:

What's good, free RAMdisk software?

Is there a way to configure the RAMdisk so it uses the sicks I'm adding and leaves the sticks I already have alone, or does it not matter?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

Dataram ramdisk is about the fastest performer . FREE

I have never seen a Ramdisk that allows you to configure what Modules to use.

Not sure what you could even do with a GB size beside maybe web browser cache...Maybe photo editing cache. Its just a bit small is all. Be fun to play with tho.
    hat says thanks.
  3. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    hat says thanks.
  4. twilyth Guest

I just started doing the same thing. lemon's thread on ramdisks lists 3 programs. I'm using Dataram's.

The one thing to watch out for is that if you install programs to the disk and you crash, there's a chance you might have to reinstall. I've been using it for firefox and had to reinstall once. But since all of the plugins and tabs and other data seems to still be stored in my user data directory, it wasn't a big deal.

I don't think you can tell it specifically which sticks (or physical address range) to use, but if you add, x meg, then set the disk to be x meg.

There doesn't seem to be any way to resize the disk image once it's created - fyi.

If you are using it for temp directory space and cache, I wouldn't allocate much space. I think I was using at most 50meg - maybe 100meg. Even with firefox and thunderbird installed, i think it is under 300meg.
  5. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering what to use it for. I was thinking about setting it up for readyboost.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Dont do that ...thats like shooting your self in the foot becuase you had a good day.:slap:
    hat and Solaris17 say thanks.
  7. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    this. thats also like making a virtual disk the same size as your HDD and installing the OS inside the VM. their really isnt a point.
    DRDNA says thanks.
  8. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Wonder why a manufacturer doesn't release a motherboard with like 10 DDR3 slots JUST for this... 40GB would be enough for an OS... and imagine the speed.

I wouldn't know what to use this for without having 4GB+ to play with.
    hat says thanks.
  9. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    ya but ram is expensive. and the board would probably be mad expensive. that wouldnt be cost effective. that would be like buying a ram disk card. and installing your OS on it. the card connector and ram would coast more than an SSD
  10. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    RAM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSD

So if not for readyboost, then what could I use it for?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the elementery education. but ramdisk cards break often get incredably hot and are buggy. I appreciate the pamphlet imformation though. Ill let you fish with your hands while the fishing pole keeps you from falling in now.
  12. twilyth Guest

You need to look at lemonaidsoda's thread. It should answer all of your questions. http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=107670&highlight=ramdisk
  13. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm thinking that!:eek:
  14. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking of making a 512MB disc to stash temp. garbage to.

So... I now have 5GB ram installed. I tested the 1GB kit without my 4GB kit installed at the same settings it ran... 1000, 5-5-5-15. It passed 2 hours of OCCT linpack. Now it's time to see if it's stable with all 4 sticks in at those settings.

New thread topic: am I the only one on TPU with 5GB ram?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I made a 512MB RAMdisk and pointed the Windows temp directories to it. I also pointed the IE cache to it. How big should I make the IE cache? I have it set to 128mb right now.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Quick question about browser caching...

If I set my browser to cache up to 50MB for example, then how does the browser handle it when that 50MB gets filled up? Does it start deleting stuff, or does it just run out of space and stop caching?
    Crunching for Team TPU