1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thinking about getting a sound card...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Feizy, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Feizy

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, I am thinking about getting a sound card for my gaming setup. I have budgeted $200 for it. I can use either a PCI or PCI express card. Also, I am running Windows 7 64bit. Also, I use 5.1 surround sound headphones when gaming.

I saw the Asus Xonar D2X and that looked nice. But I don't know. Any suggestions or advice from personal experience? Thanks in advance!

2. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    are these headphones using the individual signal plugs or optical(or w/e). If they're usb, chances are they have their own sound card of sorts and buying one isn't needed.

More than 25k PPD
  3. Feizy

Thanks Received:
    They use the individual plugs, 3.5mm ones I think.

4. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    ok then you'll definately see an improvement. the asus card is a pretty nice one, i've been thinking of getting one myself.

just an observation... i noticed the D2X on newegg is out of stock, but the D2 looks like its pretty much the same thing, just PCI rather than PCI-e. I'm thinking the x in D2X is for express (as in pci-e). so if you can't get find a D2X, the D2 is the same thing, just PCI

the only real difference i see in the 2 is the details page on newegg... they just left out the stuff that was featured on XP (in the description, the card itself probably still has the features, but most are moving away from xp) they have the same specs and audio chip

actually there is one difference... the D2 is $20 cheaper!

More than 25k PPD
  5. Feizy

Thanks Received:
    Cool, it also looks like it doesn't have the extra power connection that the D2X has, so it would better for a cleaner look in the case. I hate having 1 cable in the middle of everything. ha.

6. Feizy

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm, reading the Newegg reviews it looks like there are driver issues with windows 7. Can anyone attest to this or is it user error.