1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thinking about Water Cooling just my CPU, where do I begin.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Atnevon, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    Hello All,

So being in my bedroom with my compy on at night is getting to a point where my room is becoming a furnace, and I need an alternative. My roommates are hippies and won't crank up the A/C, and its becoming a bit bad. I'll attach some photos to show you my layout.

But as for my rig, its a q6600 in an antec 900, with a 8800 GTX card. Now, The card never gets above 60 with what I do with it, so I'm not to concerned. However, the CPU is. I want to make my room cooler, and think this is a possibility to look into.

I ask if any of ya''ll out there can provide me some links or materials that I might be able to research the possabiliy further. Thank you for anything you might could offer.

-Andrew

EDIT: Crap, I posted in the wrong section. Excuse my mistake

2. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    well one thing to remember is that water cooling is about keeping the parts cooler not reducing the heat output of your pc, water takes the heat away but then you have hot water you need to cool off so a radiator puts that same heat into your room too so your room is just as hot as before.

watercooling wont solve the heat in your room problem unless you locate the radiator outside your space, but then you cant stick it in the garage because of the water pump limitations and all.

putting the radiator or water lines through a refrigerator works but then the refrigerator adds heat just as bad as the pc does.

you only solution is turn on the a/c or you need to have your pc produce less heat in the first place so i suggest you sell your rig and build one based on the newer cooler running cpus and get a video card that meets your needs but is not top of the line so it puts out less heat as well.

3. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. calvary1980

calvary1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok when I called you a coke monkey I didn't mean it literally :laugh:

- Christine

5. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    this is the internet! everything is literal :p

:toast:

6. Viscarious New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you run any programs that use all of that power? If not then why don't you just under clock your cpu and video card. I don't have an intel so Im not sure if you could under clock / downcore your CPU but if you can and really don't need the extra processing power then try that out. Deff under clock your video card and that'll help a LOT.

For example, I've got my phenom down to 2 cores at 1.8ghz and .9 volts. I never...never get over 32C. As Im typing this, Im watching The Office and running a disk defrag. 28C. As for the video card...again, Im opposite of you, ATI guy. lol =] I've got mine from a normal 800mhz core to a 573mhz core, mem of 2250 to 1548 and the volts to .875 from 1.28v. 38C

I just use my PC for entertainment, COD4, and music so yea...and if I need power, I just reset the settings which normally takes 2 min. But I never do so I save power, money and I keep my room very cool.

Theres my two cents, Good luck!

7. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    The heat still gets dissipated in the room, but I think that it's cooler with water. My room was the same way until I got my h20-220 compact. I would say to go with the Swiftech H20-220 Compact, it's simple enough to install and does the job right.

8. Viscarious New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heat still gets dissipated. Right, but the same with water cooling. Water is just a better means of getting the heat off the CPU faster, and more effectively. The water still has to be cooled using the air and a means of dissipation. Air is direct and water is indirect. Either way its going to heat up the room. If a person underclocks and undervolts his/her hardware, then you are running cooler. So not nearly as much heat gets into the room's air. However, this is only if you have an insanely awesome computer and you cant nearly use all that processing power. Ie, me.

=]