1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

thinking of upgrading to a EVGA 790i

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Live OR Die, Jul 23, 2008.

  1. Live OR Die

    Live OR Die

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Messages:
    3,888 (1.48/day)
    Thanks Received:
    383
    will i get a performance jump from the 780i to the 790i? or should i wait for intels new socket to upgrade board-memory
  2. ShadowFold

    ShadowFold New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2007
    Messages:
    16,919 (7.03/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,644
    Location:
    Omaha, NE
    You would have to get DDR3, and Nahalem needs DDR3(I think) and if DDR3 is anything like DDR2 I would wait till timings loosen a little. You have pretty much the best board out right now I would just wait for Nahalem tho :)
    Live OR Die says thanks.
  3. trt740

    trt740

    Joined:
    May 12, 2006
    Messages:
    10,935 (3.65/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,113
    790I has lots of problems look at evgas web site. Some have been fixed but some have not. Example fsb holes, hardrive corruptions and bios corruptions.
    Live OR Die says thanks.
  4. Live OR Die

    Live OR Die

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Messages:
    3,888 (1.48/day)
    Thanks Received:
    383
    thanks for the info sound like a pain in the ass
  5. ntdouglas

    ntdouglas New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2007
    Messages:
    1,026 (0.37/day)
    Thanks Received:
    44
    Location:
    Chicago
    Stay with the 780i. Best board I've owned.
    Live OR Die says thanks.
  6. Tatty_One

    Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2006
    Messages:
    16,403 (5.28/day)
    Thanks Received:
    2,339
    Location:
    Worcestershire, UK
    If you are going to get a 790i then I would personally suggest the Asus or XFX, I have never had any problems with mine, is it faster than a 780i.........ohhh yes!, it is also 1600FSB and overclocks a fair bit better.......would I get one now?...............nope, stay as you are for the time being, there is a lot of activity about to happen in the next couple of months or so with Intel CPU's.
    Live OR Die says thanks.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guest)

Share This Page