1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

This is what happens when a tech forum discusses piracy. Saved for historical record.

Discussion in 'Games' started by ShiBDiB, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Nick89 says thanks.
  2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
  3. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    @ Mailman, you never cease to amaze me with ur choice of avatars :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    There are 3 categories that still pretty much remain in a prehistoric era. Game, music and movies industry. Instead of accepting new business models they are constantly complaining over piracy.
    I work in a retail store and it works in the same way, just in a much smaller scale. If you can't sell something you have to adapt. Only company that has partially got it is Valve really. It's really hard to pirate their games and they "force" you to use their DRM Steam, but on the other hand they pay you back with rather regular updates and fixes, various community based features, achievements, steam cloud etc. So in the end you don't really mind the DRM since it's not limiting you in any way. But on the other hand it's helping Valve combat piracy. So in the end it's a win win for both sides and that's what everyone want.

CrAsHnBuRnXp and a_ump say thanks.
  5. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    This is a valid arguement, but then everyone will come along and bitch about Draconian DRM, and I have to log in to play, blah blah blah blah blah.

I think that "services" like Steam are the way to go. Cuts down on piracy, auto-updates, etc. Now if developers would continuously update games, i.e. new levels, maps, single player missions, DLC without a charge...that would cut down on piracy. They need to make it worthwhile/better for someone to purchase the game than pirate it.

Just my 2 cents. :toast:

snuif09 says thanks.
  6. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    Notch has a good point there.

7. Maelstrom

Thanks Received:
    +1 to this. While I'll almost never condone piracy and believe people shouldn't do it, I also believe that companies have a lot of options they could pursue to make people want to buy their product instead of pirating it. Companies need to innovate and change to help combat piracy.

8. random

random

Thanks Received:
    His opinion mentioned this cute little diagram :laugh:

[​IMG]

I don't see how pirates could be potential customers since most of them are struggling financially or don't intend to pay for games at all.... I guess the major concern is that they are achieving free access to paid content which in turn makes it unfair for everyone else willing to pay and help fund the developers.

Derek12 and Nick89 say thanks.
  9. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    hmm i like the pigs new avatar found!

10. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sure you can. Happens all the time.

11. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    In my school everyone is given a macbook I see people playing this game all the time in class every single one has pirated this game. just sayin

I thought it was called Korean WoW players

12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    So let me get this straight he charges for Minecraft and yet piracy is not stealing.......um ok?

13. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The problem is that while you can't pirate an online account, you can bypass the login. Just like the pirated versions of Minecraft do, and they recieve full updates just like a paid user.(Though I hear the update servers for Minecraft will be moving to the same authentications system the multiplayer uses.)

Correct, it is not stealing, it is piracy. The notion that every pirated copy is a lost sale is extremely flawed. Most people that pirate a game would never buy it. I pirated Crysis 2, but I'd never ever consider buying it because it is nothing more than another drab wattered down console port. Now if they made it a game that at least partially lived up to the original I might consider buying it, but no, they pushed out a giant turd. However, I paid for Minecraft, because it is actually good, and worth the money. The fact that he is charging a reasonable price helps too, he isn't another one of the big name game developers that charge $60 for the same old recycled console garbage we're used to seeing.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  14. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    I don't see why we should prosecute this man for robbing a bank he was poor and needed money.:nutkick:

No one says they are stealing the original. They say they are stealing the copy why is this always the main argument.:shadedshu

15. kuroikenshi

kuroikenshi

Thanks Received:
    Your example of robbing a bank is silly and exactly why Notch or who ever made that picture with the pigs. If you steal money, the money will no longer be in its original place. If I make a copy, the original is still there and someone else can purchase it and play it. So they still got their sale.

16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Well then since no one is getting hurt why should we pay for any game? I mean its not stealing right? We should just take what we want! Weeeeee!

17. random

random

Thanks Received:

Please read all of my post,

"I guess the major concern is that they are achieving free access to paid content which in turn makes it unfair for everyone else willing to pay and help fund the developers."

I am not justifying piracy and copies in anyway so I don't see why you would use that as an example. :wtf: I mean it is damned obvious that pirating can affect sales in a way but the point remains Piracy is not theft and that is just hard facts! Robbing a bank, bad example because you're still taking away original copies of the physical dollars, if you were to base it on a crime it would be more along the lines of fraud and using fake money.

18. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    i'm game :rolleyes:

19. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    How wonderful, another piracy thread. Perhaps someone can start a PhysX sucks thread and an ATi drivers suck thread as well. :rolleyes:

How about printing my own counterfeit money? I mean, i'm just copying something without physically taking it right?

Expanding on my point above, I don't see how counterfeiters could be potential people working for their money since most of them are struggling financially or don't intend to use real money to buy goods and services at all... I guess the major concern is that they are printing free money to pay for goods and services which in turn makes it unfair for everyone willing to work, get paid and buy their own shit.

20. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    If the game developers want us to pay for their product they should make the product worth paying for(and not overcharge for it). Simple. If the pirates couldn't pirate, they probably wouldn't buy the game, so eliminating piracy doesn't help. That is why piracy isn't stealing.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  21. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    Your right! Bad example... I'll go into your house when it's not locked and your not home... I will copy naked pictures of your woman and distribute them. That is not theft! I like your logic:confused:

22. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    can i start and intel is better than AMD thread since we are on the stupid thread subject :p

freaksavior says thanks.
  23. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Definitely not, but we're on the same page.

24. random

random

Thanks Received:

You think that example is any better :twitch:? :roll: I'm gonna stop right there.

25. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah ok. So I guess game making is free now too. Cool.