1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

This is your brain on toxoplasmosis

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by twilyth, Aug 2, 2011.

1. twilyth Guest

Well, toxoplasma gondii. Toxoplasmosis is the disease it causes. It infects and estimated third of the world's population but is generally considered harmless. I suppose that would be "harmless" in the same sense as asbestos was once regarded as harmless.

This is an incredibly devious protozoan if I might be permitted to anthropomorphize for a moment. It can only reproduce in cats so it's primary objective is to infect an animal that will be eaten by cats. The preferred vector seems to be mice. Once it infects a mouse, it dulls the animal's sense of fear and actually causes it to have an affinity for cat urine - thus making it even more likely that it will be caught and eaten.

However there is some evidence that it also has similar effects in people.

article

edit: the article mainly focuses on it's link to brain cancer, but since there was a great article in SciAm Mind that focused on the behavioral aspects (potentially) and since I can't post links to that article, I decided to quote this one for that purpose. :toast:
  2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    My wife is pregnant and the first thing they told her is to never change the litterbox. So now I'm responsible for it. Troll baby!!!!!!!
  3. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    The behavior of that parasite is rather <intelligent>. That's kinda scary ....
    Scientists find more and more things that can cause cancer. It's become a real nightmare since they found in early 1900s that cancer is caused by oncovirus. I don't like to quote wiki but ...

4. twilyth Guest

I know the human papilloma virus was a big/primary cause of ovarian/cervical (???) cancer. I wonder if that was a significant chunk of that total. If so, widespread use of the HPV vaccine might make those numbers a little better.
  5. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Good zombie potential here. Just sayin'.
  6. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone else think of this?

Also, this is just one of the many reasons I hate cats.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  7. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Yes that's correct hpv can cause cancer. I even remember there was news how oral sex causes cancer lol.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/201...02_1_oral-cancer-hpv-vaccines-cervical-cancer

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1619814,00.html
  8. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    No wonder my cat is always trying to eat me.
  9. twilyth Guest

10. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Fuckin Cats and their shit...
  11. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received: