1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

thoughts on this new build

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by xbit, Feb 13, 2013.

1. xbit

xbit

Thanks Received:
    Building a enthusiast/gaming system w/ a 2k budget. areas that I'm looking for feedback would be the z77 motherboard, ram, cpu cooler, vid and monitor.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/D5Uv
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/D5Uv/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
    Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
    Storage: Western Digital VelociRaptor 500GB 3.5" 10000RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Storage: Western Digital VelociRaptor 500GB 3.5" 10000RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card
    Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power
    Optical Drive: Sony 5280S-CB-PLUS DVD/CD Writer
    Monitor: Asus VS248H-P 24.0" Monitor

Thanks!

2. brispuss New Member

Thanks Received:
    This proposed system seems to be basically OK!

The liquid CPU cooler is best suited for when the CPU is (substantially) overclocked because the CPU then generates more heat and the liquid cooler dissipates this heat better than air coolers. If the CPU is not overclocked, then the liquid cooler is not really required. Even the stock CPU fan is fine when the CPU is not overclocked.

If there is to be substantial CPU overclocking (maybe in the near future?) then the CPU liquid cooler may be the better CPU cooling solution. Just watch out for (potential) leaks! Although rare (these days), leaks have occurred! Test the liquid cooling unit before installation, and install it carefully!

16GB RAM is overkill, particularly for gaming. Suggest 8GB (2 x 4GB dual channel modules) instead.

G.Skill RAM is OK. Kingston is another recommended brand of RAM.

850W PSU is really more than necessary for this system. Even allowing for slight overclock, 550W power supply will be adequate. But if overclocking heavily (to around 4.5GHz+?), then ~ 600W power supply would be needed.

If changing PSU, recommend either Seasonic, XFX, and Corsair brands.

3. blibba

blibba

Thanks Received:
    • Velociraptors are terrible value for money. Two cheaper drives in Raid 0 are better in every way, and cheaper overall.
    • 850W is way overkill. This is a 500W system tops.
    • Why do you need an optical drive?

4. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Looks perfect

You really don't need the Raptors. Im assuming your going to load your games on the SSD? Any standard drive is fine for data. Its not like you need a fast drive for watching a movie or listening to music. Unless you got a crap load of games

5. xbit

xbit

Thanks Received:
    Thanks a ton for the suggestions, awesome ones at that.

I'm going to start OCing down the road. I want to give the system a good stock burn in and get to know each component first. So thats why I have the h100i listed, as it will be OCed. I may hold off on the h100i and just go w/ the stock cooler as we all wait on the swiftech h220 thats due out at the end of this month! :)

The 16gigs of ram is indeed overkill. My thoughts on the overall system is to build it for the long haul. in short, I build a new system like this about once every 5 years. So if for whatever unforeseen reason I start using the system for ram intensiveness operations, I'll be ready and then even have two slots open for more. I did have Kingston Beast listed for a bit, and I can't remember why I changed it to G.Skill :) Same with the PSU, it is overkill at the moment but my thoughts were to be ready for SLI.

6. xbit

xbit

Thanks Received:
    I know, I'm being silly w/ the 10k raptors. The Only reason is just due to the fact I've always wanted them and in RAID 0 at that.

My thoughts on the 850W was to have head room for another GTX 670 via SLI. Do you feel this is still overkill?

As for the optical, i think I'll only need it for installing win7 64 :) I was looking at some blu ray drives but it put me over budget.

7. xbit

xbit

Thanks Received:
    I'm plan on loading the most played games on the SSD then all the others on the HDD. I'll also transfer over gigs of family pics and movies to the HDD. But, your correct on the Raptors.. I could get a lot more for less.

Question, with a setup like this would you move your windows swap to the data drives or keep it on the SSD?

8. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Raptors speed in raid0 will kill cheaper drives and the prices on raptors are actually decent nowaday. Optical drive reads cd's/dvd's LOL.

Yes he could save $ on a lower PSU but no headroom for upgrades such as second 670 in the future but he could save some $ here and up to a 3770K.

9. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    As for the raptors if you do a lot of work with large files such as video editing the like there better for longevity and close on price to large ssd.
    If you need the space and you just play games watch movies internet and such an just need storage space for music movies and the like a ssd and a single large hdd would be a cheaper solution where you not going miss the speed of the raptors.

Always invest in a good PSU it will likely out last everything in the build so you don't have to get a new one in the future.
    Mine has been through 3 different CPU sockets now and still going strong with plenty of connectors and wattage.

10. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I'd say that 850w is still overkill. I have two GTX470s and an OCed 2700k that run perfectly on an Antec 650w PSU. I'd say drop down to 650w and you'd still hav eroom for upgrades.

And as long as you know that the Velociraptors made for an odd choice, go ahead. I wouldn't buy them (at least for storage drives--I have one that is the sole drive in one of my systems) and it's very fast.

If you drop the PSU down to a 650w and the HDDs down to something saner, you could get a 3770k easily, which I think would make more sense (realistically, a LGA2011 build could be done for $2000, but not one as well-balanced as you have)

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. xbit

xbit

Thanks Received:
    My goal and thought process was to have room to grow years down the road as my build timelines seem to be about once 5-6 years.

I ended up picking the i5 just due to hyperthreading not really being needed w/ a (mostly) gaming box and some reports state that you could even suffer a slight penalty. But w/ that said, if they were the same price i would have picked the i7 :) I just wanted to stay in budget and have the 10k raid0 data drive.

12. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    I disagree with not getting the raptors. In Raid0 they are pretty swift and at 500G he has a lot of storage. To get a SSD of that storage capacity will cost a lot more.... What I would do is get a 1T Barracuda and take the $ saved from SSD and raptors and get a Revo Drive. Now your talking serious shizza

13. xbit

xbit

Thanks Received:
    So with a setup like this I think I'll move the swap file to the velociraptors along w/ my browser cache. making sure the swap is the first bits of data loaded on the front of the drive. I'm sure my google friend will have quite a bit of info on this when it comes to SSD best practices.

14. xbit

xbit

Thanks Received:
    i want serious shizza :pimp:

I also have a wd 1tb black drive that I'm going to toss in just to run HD tune on to see how bad it gets spanked.

15. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I'm gonna say something different then the rest and say Toss the MSI mobo and maybe go for a Asrock extreme6....same perks better caps

16. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Why not look into a Revo 3 and a 1T platter then? blazing speeds with the revo.

17. xbit

xbit

Thanks Received:
    goes w/ out saying i'm sure.. RAID 0 is a striped volume with out parity and will yield in my case 1TB of space. I could end up putting in another raptor 500gb and go RAID 5 giving it a good balance between speed and redundancy.

18. xbit

xbit

Thanks Received:
    nooooooo! :) not that the extreme6 isn't an awesome mobo.. its just this was the hardest decision of the entire build. i think I read until my eyes started bleeding on z77 mo's :)

19. xbit

xbit

Thanks Received:
    $$$.. but dang, i'd do it in a second if I could.

20. xbit

xbit

Thanks Received:
    anyway, this msi is looking like it has some good caps :)

MSI Z77A-GD65 Z77 Ivy Bridge Motherboard Unboxing ...

21. blibba

blibba

Thanks Received:
    Raptors aren't that fast anymore, but are still really expensive.

Yes. 600W would be plenty for an OCd 3570K and GTX670 SLI.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store?Action=html&Locale=en_US&SiteID=msstore&pbPage=Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

22. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Keep a watch out for these Seasonic X series Gold PSU's (650,750, and 850) they have a tendency to drop to $99 (VERY short duration when on sale) and they are fantastic deals at that price:

Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, L...

Any one of these will be more than enough for your build

*Note- the 850w X Gold is $129 w/promo ATM

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Norton says thanks.
  24. xbit

xbit

Thanks Received:
  25. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    You did not go wrong with the raptors. I have them. It's better to run a couple raptors than have a bunch of cheaper drives in an elaborate RAID set up. Although I would keep the raptors inside the case because it is on the loud side. The crazy thing is the fastest HD you can buy is also one of the most reliable and longest warranty. Raptors + SSD = storage bliss.

xbit says thanks.