1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

thoughts on this new build

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by xbit, Feb 13, 2013.

1. xbit

xbit

Thanks Received:
    Well, project gaming system is finished and I had a great time doing it. so fun :) I went through newegg for all parts. everything arrived on time w/ zero defects, no rma's.

some pic's just for fun: http://x-bit.org/blackdragon/

Did my best w/ the cable management side of the case. in fact, that took me longer than building the entire system, but it was worth it.
  2. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Looks good, glad you kept to your own idea on the psu , you have plenty of room for future upgrades without having to worry about upgrading it.
  3. xbit

xbit

Thanks Received:
    thanks.. and that was my idea. the case and psu will be with me for a long time.
  4. PatoRodrigues

PatoRodrigues

Thanks Received:
    Really tough to find a RevoDrive 3 these days, tho. But a X2 would be a really great deal for him with 1TB drive, i have to agree.

Anyways, he would get over the budget... The 500GB Velociraptor actually looks like a excellent option. 149.99 on Newegg.
  5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Keep it on the SSD. But you can make it smaller. Do not remove it. And 16 Gb is not overkill. I use to think that till I got 16 Gb, I use it
  6. xbit

xbit

Thanks Received:
    that's interesting you say that Jester, due to the fact that's one area people seem to be hard-coded to give opinions on stating I'll need more than 8megs. I feel the two areas one might want to consider going over on would be the psu and memory, so i tried to do just that.

I do more than just play borderlands 2 :) it's nice not to close down any of my virtualbox vm's just to do something else for example.
  7. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    If you do that then get 16GB as it is relatively cheap. With 8GB, my gaming and general computing will never fill it up. But I don't like having too many things running in the background so i don't have to deal with stuttering while gaming.

The one thing about PSU i know from experience is that it is one of the component with the shortest life span. I would not recommend buying a PSU for future proofing. It's also a good idea to have a back up PSU also. Diagnosing hardware problems without an extra PSU is a nightmare sometimes.

Also, i5 3570k with H100i is kind of wasting money IMO. I know you will probably OC but going with a cheaper cooler and spend that extra money to buy a 3770k would make more sense. In fact, you will not need to OC the 3770k for a while unless you just want to. Where I live, Microcenter's price for the i5 is 189 and 229 for the i7. The difference is $40, which is about the same as the difference between the H100 and H60 watercooling kit.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013