1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

THQ No More, Titles Sold Off During Auction Find New Homes

Discussion in 'Games' started by natr0n, Jan 23, 2013.

1. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    Relic Entertainment (Company of Heroes)

Winner: Sega, $26.6 million
    Runner up: Zenimax Media, $26.3 million
    ---
    THQ Montreal (1666 and Underdog)

Winner: Ubisoft, $2.5 million
    ---
    Evolve

Winner: Take-Two Interactive, $10.894 million
    Runner up: Turtle Rock Studios, $250,000
    ---
    Volition, Inc. (Saints Row)

Winner: Koch Media (Deep Silver), $22.3 million
    Runner up: Ubisoft, $5.4 million
    ---
    Homefront series

Winner: Crytek, $544,218
    ---
    Metro series

Winner: Koch Media (Deep Silver), $5,877,551
    Runner up: Ubisoft, $5.175 million

---
    South Park: The Stick of Truth

Winner: Ubisoft, $3,265,306

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/thq-no-more-titles-sold-off-during-auction-find-new-homes/
    jagd, Irony, HD64G and 9 others say thanks.
  2. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    nice to see relic snatched right up, highest total too.

some of those went less than dirt cheap, lmao at the differences in the bids from evolve runner up to winner and volition runner up to winner.
  3. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Metro better not be tainted with Koch Media's ideas for trying to improve the game. I want my Metro fix sooner than later. If it gets delayed to mid-late summer, you know they are gonna want to have a hand in the development/refinement process. I'm gonna have to wait for reviews if that's the case, instead of it being a day 1 purchase for me.
  4. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Sad day.
    INSTG8R and AsRock say thanks.
  5. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    damn it, I was hoping THQ still had MX vs ATV so it could be sold, but I guess when they let the devs go, the asset went with them into the trash can. God Damn it!
  6. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
  7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Deep Silver (X series publisher) getting Volition is great news. Deep Silver is one of the few publishers that removes DRM after a few months of the game being out so it doesn't cause problems anymore. They will also be inclined to release it on more platforms than just Steam.

I'm kind of disappointed Sega won Relic Entertainment but, at least it isn't Ubisoft. Sega only released a handul of decent PC games in the last decade (only Alpha Protocol is really notable); however, those that were notable needed patching and never got it. I can't imagine they'd change much in Company of Heroes 2 since it should be almost done. We'll see what happens for Company of Heroes 3.

What's left for THQ? Did they sell everything of value? The Relic sale by itself should have yielded enough money to to pay off THQ's debt.

I'm surprised Ubisoft didn't try to buy Volition. Volition's engine is a good one they could expand off of, not to mention Saints Row being the only serious competition to Grand Theft Auto. Oh well, more for Deep Silver. :D
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Never Heard of Deep Silver.
    At least Saints Row will put them on the map for me.
    Just hope they do a good job of supporting Volition with their future titles.
  9. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    SEGA isnt bad

PC wise they own the RTS market with mass military type games aka Total War Series, SEGA owns Creative assembly and the reason you dont see many games from them is they are investing in studios that DO make money on the PC platform example Rome II Total War had its budget increased by 40% by SEGA and its a PC only title ;)

So seeing SEGA's record 9/10 they will throw money at Relic to make Company of Heroes.
    digibucc, AsRock and FordGT90Concept say thanks.
  10. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I just want to see Metro Last Light come soon and for it to be supremely awesome, that's all I want from all of this.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  11. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Prior to 2008, they didn't publish in the USA but they co-published a lot of major titles like Earth 2160, Dead Island, X2, X3, Warhammer: Mark of Chaos, and STALKER: Clear Sky:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koch_Media#Deep_Silver
    INSTG8R says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    look at the bids on volition, they did try to buy it, they TOTALLY LOW-BALLED it. 1/4 the offer. Serious lmao.

in related news:
    http://kotaku.com/5978522/the-maker...ove-to-buy-the-suddenly endangered-darksiders

vigil wasn't listed amongst the others sold, so hopefully someone does snatch it up. Playing darksiders right now and I find the game play fun, if a bit missing in logic in the storyline. (something I'll easily forgive in hack and slash because, well it's fricken hack and slash, what do you want? a button masher that requires deep thought? like that would sell. lol)
  13. acerace

acerace

Thanks Received:
    Amen to that brother. :toast:
  14. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, there's no way 5 million is a serious offer on Volition. Saints Row is too valuable for that. The only reason why Relic is worth more is because of Warhammer.

You'd think they would have sold enough to be able to keep Vigil but it sounds like they're still trying to find a buyer for it. Several expressed interest but they're probably only going to get pennies on the dollar for it.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Homefront series

Winner: Crytek, $544,218

Nooooooooooooo!, I hope they go the other way than Crysis has and give it a story as good as the original yeah right who am i kidding...

Relic Entertainment (Company of Heroes)

Winner: Sega, $26.6 million
    Runner up: Zenimax Media, $26.3 million

Not to sure what to think of other than i wish Zeni got it..
  16. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Really hoping to see good things come out of Metro Last Light, that has been my main focus for THQ. Also interested to see what happens with Warhammer 40k series, as that is probably my favourite game series of all time, and I was hoping for a bit more in the way of games after Space Marine. Then again, now I think about it, I think THQ is the only game publisher where I actually legitimately owned ALL of their games. Certainly admirable.
  17. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Ubisoft got South Park: The Stick of Truth?

Should I hang myself now or later?
  18. Naito

Naito

Thanks Received:
    Crytek was the original developer for Homefront 2 anyway, so only makes sense they bought it.

What happened to that game codenamed 'Atlas' that was leaked in a few of those financial documents? It was being developed by Relic, so I had high hopes...
  19. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:

Still sucks, Story and gameplay of HF1 was way better than most including all the COD crap. Crytek to do a follow up is asking for miracle and then some.
  20. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    10.9M$ with 250k$????
    What a huuuuge difference
  21. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking the same thing. Why not 250,001$ LOL
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    Relic Entertainment (Company of Heroes) = Winner: Sega, $26.6 million

SEGA is great!!!, considering SEGA already got the great RTS series Total War, they might even make a crossover and make a Total War: WW2!!! I can tell you it's in good(might be even better) hands
    ---
    THQ Montreal (1666 and Underdog) = Winner: Ubisoft, $2.5 million

Never heard of these games but Ubisoft has a Montreal studio too so I think nothing would change that much except new owner

---
    Evolve = Winner: Take-Two Interactive, $10.894 million
    Owner of 2k Games and Rockstar Games, so It's in good hands, whatever that IP is
    ---

Homefront series = Winner: Crytek, $544,218
    This FPS Series goes to one of the top FPS devs, Homefront WILL improve.
    ---
    Volition, Inc. (Saints Row) = Winner: Koch Media (Deep Silver), $22.3 million

Metro series = Winner: Koch Media (Deep Silver), $5,877,551

They publish different types of games, some good some bad, and from what i've seen in their games, they leave the creative control to their own devs (example is the X series and Dead Island) so i think it's in good hands too, better than EA/Activision

---
    South Park: The Stick of Truth = Winner: Ubisoft, $3,265,306

idc about this south park game :laugh:

I don't get it too,

250k then 10.9M??? and they even put a .9M there like there was a previous 10.8M offer.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  23. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    personally I though vigil would have been absorbed into relic and offered as a package deal. The similarities in the IP's as well as the fact that they regularly worked together on warhammer 40k dark millennium (which may not be released now). Plus the gameplay of spacemarine and darksiders is extremely similar, I couldn't find anything on whether or not they worked together on that title (google is failing me atm) but having played both, it seems like they did.
  24. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    why would someone pay 10M for a south park game? I have never even heard of it?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    All you guys wondering why Turtle Rock Studios made such a small offer

you do realize they are a SMALL DEVELOPER aka they are the guys behind Left 4 Dead 1 and some DLC for L4D and L4D2 thats it they dont have massive cash flows, and essentially EVOLVE is a game being developed by Turtle Rock Studios what this means is Take Two bought out the game and IP to Turtle Rocks Product and can now do what they want with it change it or even fire the developer and move the project elsewherem TRS simply made a bid with all the capital they had in hopes that Take Two deal fails to go through in which case TRS can maintain there independence and full creative control over their product.