1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

THQ No More, Titles Sold Off During Auction Find New Homes

Discussion in 'Games' started by natr0n, Jan 23, 2013.

1. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    that's actually kinda sad, that a game dev would throw everything it has available at buying its own ip and fall so utterly short.

at that point, they need a new company to buy them out, you can't succeed with so little capital to develop on.

2. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Also, the South Park game actually looks really good. It's being developed by Obsidian and is an RPG, the one genre they are actually pretty good about. There's currently a dispute about that IP though, because South Park Studios is trying to get the publishing rights since it is their IP and they apparently weren't allowed to bid on it.

E3 Footage of SP Game: South Park The Stick of Truth - E3 2012 Gameplay &...

Also, Crytek getting Homefront is literally the best thing that could have happened--especially for that cheap. Crytek makes some of the best games these days, and they were already developing the game. I am actually pretty interested to see how it turns out, Crytek could finally make a legitimate attempt at CoD's market, or at least force Activision to start making versions of the game that aren't the equivalent of $60 DLC.

3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I love Obsidian, but I hate South Park. I have been divided since they announced they were making it. :ohwell:

4. SIGSEGV

SIGSEGV

Thanks Received:
    my deepest condolences for THQ. thanks god, ubisoft only got THQ montreal.

5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    x2

6. jagd

Thanks Received:
    THQ did not sold evrything yet ,some IPs still at THQ with VIGIL studio ( maker of darksiders series ) + homeworld and probably some other IPs i dont know .THQ has around 18m $ cash in subsidairies in europe and assets needed to sell .

Total debts around 250m $ iirc not sure google may bring correct number. They owed 100m + interest just to bond holders

This auction was seperate auction but total bids must be over the amount clearlake offered for THQ =60m . If total money from auction was under 60m clearlake would get THQ whole ,bidders would not get IPs they bidded .It looks like everyone closely watched the total amount while bidding http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/07/thq-assets-to-be-sold-off-at-auction-january-22/

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    If those that are listed pay up, that's already over $65 million--enough to satisfy Clearlake. If THQ sells everything, why didn't they do Chapter 7? I really don't see what they seek to gain by reorganization if there is literally nothing left to reorganize.

I think there must have been a reserve set. These low bids don't meet the reserve but they still may be considered if the highest bidder backs out and THQ/Clearlake accept the lower asking price. It's basically on the books.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. jagd

Thanks Received:
    THQ wanted chapter 11 but bond holders objected at court ,Clearlake offered 10m to bond holders and was wiping share holders with incoming 3 titles . This seperate auction for studio/IPs happened because court order

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  9. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    Related question: Are patches getting out more the responsible of the developer or publisher?

If it's more on the publisher's head, I'm disgusted at the notion of the Saints Row franchise going to Deep Silver. I can only think about how Risen was more or less abandoned and never got the patches it desperately needed. Instead, it fell to the community, who managed to release those much needed patches (PowerGamer / NicoDE).

See section 5 (Readme)

It probably doesn't help that I was one of those people who bought the game when it came out, full retail price.

10. jagd

Thanks Received:
  11. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
  12. jagd

Thanks Received:
    The link you gave says
    ''Some of the bugs fixed by this patch would take mere minutes for the developers to fix and were reported to developers much earlier than official patch 1.10 was released. So PB and DS if you don't care about supporting your product at least release a modkit for the game so your customers can fix the bugs themselves. '' It shows a fix made by players/outsiders

and i send a link to a playermade fix to a problem (made by players/outsiders ) not solved since game released developer/publisher acted like deaf until now and became worse at every DLC , it is a kind of answer to your concerns . THQ was not better basicly

13. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    I was leaning towards this as what you were saying, but your post definitely helped to clear it up.

So you feel it goes from one bad hand to another then? It certainly seems that way. :ohwell:

14. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    Well at least my 2 favourite devs (Relic and Volition) for THQ got snatched up at a large amount of money compared to the others.

Here's hoping SEGA make CoH even better from their Total War series. I'm just hoping they don't axe Relic so there is less competition for their Total War series.

15. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    Wish there is a WWE game on PC like old times :)

16. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    The WWE license was given to 2k Sports. They already release on PC, so it might just happen.
    :)

mafia97 says thanks.
  17. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    Thats great news :D

18. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    no more saints rows? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

[​IMG]

19. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    Unless I missed something I don't think anything was said about there being no more Saints Row games. As far as I knew, the devs were already heavily involved in Saints Row 4.

de.das.dude says thanks.
  20. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    yeah volition was sold...pretty much indicates that the buyer is interested in launching the game, otherwise what do they have to gain from their purchase?

so yeah , there is more saints row.

de.das.dude says thanks.
  21. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    If EA or Activision bought it they would probably just get rid of the company for less competition. :/