• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Three Monkeys - Audio Only Game

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1950090942/three-monkeys-part-1-into-the-abyss

Three Monkeys is a fantasy RPG that looks to push the boundaries of what can be achieved with audio in games. The game puts players in the shoes of Tobar: a blind hero who embarks on a journey through a dark, cursed land, where the sun has been ripped out the sky.

While audio games in themselves are not new, they tend to rely on the same tactics. Most - knowing they have the player deprived of their primary sense - use scare tactics, throwing the player into an experience defined by horror and scare-tactics. Three Monkeys looks instead to empower the player, using mechanics that allow you to be pro-active; to attack and make the first move.

The most powerful graphics cards you have at your disposal is your brain, and we want you to create the world of Byzantia for yourself. Just like you'd conjure up the imagery to accompany a good book, we want you to bring our world to life, too. We'll help you along the way, of course.

This game sounds really cool. I've always been interested in binaural audio, and always kinda wondered why it wasn't implemented into (more) games. I think that this is a great way to implement it and am excited to try this out. At this point doesn't look like they'll get the funding, but I pledged anyways.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
This sounds like a really cool concept! I'm kind of jaded, and this, because it's so refreshing, has me excited. I love to read, and in my mind, I see a "movie" of what I'm reading, so this is right up my alley! Lack of visuals won't be a problem.

Last edited:
I agree, I don't think lack of visuals will be a problem for me especially with the binaural audio. That being said, it doesn't look like this will get funded. I hope that doesn't mean it is canned!

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Well, they still have till mid-March to get funded.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Shame, I desperately wanted to try it.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Tried out the demo, but can't get past the first objective of getting out the forest and finding the bird. Literally been walking forward for the best part of 5 minutes and got nothing, not even a peep from the fairy lady.

Tried out the demo, but can't get past the first objective of getting out the forest and finding the bird. Literally been walking forward for the best part of 5 minutes and got nothing, not even a peep from the fairy lady.
Exactly what happened to me, I figured it was just me...I'll try it with my headset when I get home today as I didn't get a chance to do it last night. That's not great to hear though. :(

At work, I was playing with my Klipsch R6, which are admittedly more suited towards music.

I finally tried it at home using my Logitech G930s. No surround sound option on as I don't ever use it. I ended up finding the bird within 30 seconds of playing. I also shut my eyes and just listened which probably helped a bit too. I got into the first fight, beat that guy, then got to the second guy. I couldn't parry those hits to save my life apparently - I got tired of trying and quit. However, I think it may have just been the game getting stuck. I just tried it again, and found the bird literally within five seconds ( think I walked straight forward and it was there): however, the first fight, I parried a lot of the attacks and just kept doing it and I never progressed to the other fight. I think the game doesn't like it if you 'fail' a task, and has an expectation that you'll finish it and maybe that doesn't trigger if you don't do it how they want.

The audio tech for the game seems there, though I do hope it gets better. I think the movement and 'battle', etc. definitely needs work. It seems like it could be a really neat game, and I do hope it comes to fruition, but they need to spend some time on it for sure.