• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Throttlestop undervolting

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazydawid

Hey !
I have a question guys, i want to undervolt my CPU, shoud i do the adaptive or static option in throttlestop?
Its 4710HQ in Lenovo y50.

Last edited:

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Just tweak the offset a little bit in the BIOS if you can, otherwise I'd think adaptive would work as long as it's stable.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
In a laptop, definitely stick with Adaptive voltage. With a 4710HQ, you can then use a negative CPU offset voltage of approximately -50 mV. If you get a BSOD, then you will have to use less offset voltage. If your laptop is 100% stable when lightly loaded then you can probably get away with using some more offset voltage. -50 mV is a good place to start testing. You can also use the same on the CPU cache. Reducing voltage will reduce power consumption. On these CPUs that are TDP limited to 47 Watts, that can increase performance.

The biggest problem with the Y50 is that Intel Turbo Boost is disabled soon after you start gaming. Intel XTU does not have any options to fix that problem which is common to the Lenovo Y50 and Y510P so for maximum performance, using ThrottleStop is a must. Check off the Set Multiplier option and set that to the maximum, clear the BD PROCHOT box and click on the Turn On button so your 4710HQ can run at its full Intel rated speed.

ThrottleStop 8.00 beta 2
https://www.sendspace.com/file/b4oure
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0dpSo9k93jDTE1fcHNtbUMwdGc/view?usp=sharing

crazydawid

Im using throttlestop from 1st day with this laptop :) Im using TS 8.0 to set adaptive offset to -95mV (95 is stable everywhere, -96 and more is stable in stres test, but crash in games, strange)
I will try with catche then :)

Last one question, is there any performance loos coming from this?

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
As the system is needs more power when gaming. either stop gaming or be less restrictive on the voltage.

crazydawid

Yea but my CPU have really high temps, so im trying to get rid of them somehow.
I just repasted it and trying to underwolt now.

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti

unclewebb

Last one question, is there any performance loss coming from this?

There is no performance loss when you reduce the CPU voltage. People have been doing this for years on their Intel Core 2 laptops and now you can do the same thing with the 4th Gen Core i laptops. On the 4710HQ, the amount of turbo boost or the speed of your CPU is limited by power consumption. If you can find a way to reduce power consumption, this can actually increase performance. An offset of -95 mV is excellent. Reducing the cache voltage is just as important as reducing the CPU core voltage. As long as your CPU is stable, performance will increase or your laptop will run cooler. Both are good reasons to under volt a laptop CPU.

crazydawid

I got -95mV on both core and cache, stable, replaced thermal paste yesterday (i used MX-2, it have preatty good results on tests)
Im using cooling pad from 1st day, but i think i need to get better, more powerfull one.
Lets see how the temps will go now, becouse before was terrible, but depending on game.
Company Of heroes 2 run at max 79 degre, but Divinity Original Sin go all way up to 88 - 90, whitch is in my book a bit too mutch.

I will post back with reasults :)

Last edited:

crazydawid

Allright, so with new paste, cooling pad, and underwolting its still bad...
Roughly 1 degre diference in max temp...
Any other idea guys?
Laptop is clean inside, no dust and stuff...

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Probably a poor design in cooling with your laptop model, but 87 degrees is still safe for that processor.

unclewebb

As long as your CPU is not thermal throttling, there is no need to worry about its core temperature. Intel has set the thermal throttling temperature to 100°C for the 4710HQ. This is the point where the CPU will have reached its "maximum safe operating temperature". I know that seems like a big number and it worries most users but why? Intel is not in the business to lose money. If high temperatures was causing their CPUs to fail, it would be simple for them to lower the throttling temperature but they are confident that their CPUs will survive for the long term. Intel sets the thermal shutdown temperature to approximately 130°C. You can play your games with no worries.

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15

As long as your CPU is not thermal throttling, there is no need to worry about its core temperature. Intel has set the thermal throttling temperature to 100°C for the 4710HQ. This is the point where the CPU will have reached its "maximum safe operating temperature". I know that seems like a big number and it worries most users but why? Intel is not in the business to lose money. If high temperatures was causing their CPUs to fail, it would be simple for them to lower the throttling temperature but they are confident that their CPUs will survive for the long term. Intel sets the thermal shutdown temperature to approximately 130°C. You can play your games with no worries.

True, but not every thing can take 100c i bet, in fact i fixed a DELL 1764 as the keyboard stopped working which i found the thin clip that holds the ribbon had started to warp.

crazydawid

Hm, is there any point toi mess around with Turbo boost power max (47,000W) and Turbo boost short pwer max (58,750W)?

unclewebb

The cooling in most laptops is barely adequate. You are concerned about your high temperatures so trying to make your CPU run at a higher power limit will only increase your CPU temperature. I would leave the turbo power limits at their default settings of 47 W and 58.750 W.

crazydawid

I was thinking about lowering them, not making this grill even hotter :)
I uderwolted core by -95 and catche -100 and still...:

I really loosing hope now...

Thats underwolted, with cooling pad and fresh thermal paste...

unclewebb

Why are you losing hope? Your CPU is running at a safe temperature. That's not my opinion, that's according to Intel. Their new mobile CPUs are designed to run at these temperatures so stop worrying about it.

You can lower your power limits if you like and this will make your CPU run slower and cooler. That is your decision. I like running my Lenovo Y510P at its full Intel rated speed.

BTW, the core temperatures reported by ThrottleStop are as accurate as any other program and if you click on the ThrottleStop - More Data option, the ThrottleStop reported temperatures are more accurate than any other program. More Data tells ThrottleStop to sample the temperature sensor way more often than any other program. In your screenshot, ThrottleStop is showing a peak core temperature of 91ºC. That other program you are using only shows 90ºC.

crazydawid

And what are Your temps while running some CPU demanding games in Y510P?
I dont know is it normal, but my laptop is getting 75 degres while surfing internet in google chrome...

Last edited:

unclewebb

High temperatures are normal. Intel encourages this. They encourage laptop manufacturers to use slow fan speeds so their laptops are reasonably quiet. Intel does long term testing of their CPUs at some very high temperatures to make sure that they are reliable for the short term as well as the long term.

For comparison, I am getting about 40ºC while writing this in Google Chrome. Use the Task Manager and see what is running on your computer in the background.

A low C0% number is what you should be seeing. If it is higher than 1.0% at idle, start looking for what crap is running in the background on your computer.

Perhaps the repaste job you did was not that great. I have never repasted my computer. Make sure the heatsink is making firm contact with your CPU. You might have to re-engineer this. Find a way to tighten it up if it is not making firm contact.

crazydawid

Temps were the same before repasting, so its more like nothing changed :)
Hm, my C0% numbers are high, what can cause that?
Damn, I woud be so happu with max temps like Yours...

unclewebb

The Voltage ID your picture shows is WAY too high. Check out my screenshot. A VID of 1.04 to 1.05 vs 1.17 makes a big difference, especially when your CPU is under load.

Your package power when idle is also almost 10 Watts higher. Are all of your C States enabled? Post a screenshot of that window.

C0% of 1.6 is not horrible. On the Task Manager - Details tab, click on the CPU heading to organize that column by CPU percent.

The biggest problem is voltage. Post a picture of the FIVR window. Dumb question but did you use a positive or negative offset voltage? Obviously you should be using negative offset but double check that to make sure.

unclewebb

I hate to say this but the reason your VID is so high is because your 4710HQ is probably not one of Intel's best HQ processors.

At Intel it is all about yield. The more CPUs they sell, the more money they make. Their CPUs are binned based on voltage and various other characteristics. If a CPU can run reliably at 3500 MHz at low voltage, those CPU cores can be sold for more money as higher end models. My 4700MQ probably could have been sold as a 4900MQ. If there was a problem with the cache, it might have been reduced from 8MB to 6MB so it ended up as a 4700MQ instead of a 4900MQ. Sometimes it is just demand that dictates what model a CPU will become. Intel sold way more 4700MQ models compared to the 4900MQ. Even if all 8MB of cache that was originally on my CPU was good, if Intel needs more 4700MQ models, they disable 2MB of cache and away the CPU goes to market.

That is how Intel has always produced CPUs. They play around with the CPU multiplier (MHz) and voltage and amount of cache and number of cores and then they sell as many CPUs as they can. Later in the development cycle, CPUs that need a lot of voltage to be stable are sold. Intel makes sure that their CPUs are 100% stable at their rated speed so no worries there but because your CPU needs lots of voltage for stability, it is naturally going to run hot and there is nothing you can do about that besides sell it.

Your first screenshot shows a VID of 1.1726 and your second screenshot shows a VID of 1.1055. That's a huge difference. From idle to full load the reported VID for my 4700MQ varies from about 1.035 to 1.045.

If you try to correct this problem by using a very high negative offset voltage, you will likely end up with light load BSOD issues because the C States are already designed to drop the the voltage when lightly loaded.

One thing that might work is you could set up a second profile in ThrotleStop with maybe a -150 mV offset. You could set up a keyboard shortcut so you could switch to this lower voltage profile but only after you started gaming. Use the ThrottleStop - Options - HotKeys feature for that purpose. You might be able to get away with that and then before your game ends, set up another HotKey so you can switch back to your normal profile. Beyond that, there is not much you can do. High voltage = high heat, especially when loaded.

Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
I hate to say this but the reason your VID is so high is because your 4710HQ is probably not one of Intel's best HQ processors.

At Intel it is all about yield. The more CPUs they sell, the more money they make. Their CPUs are binned based on voltage and various other characteristics. If a CPU can run reliably at 3500 MHz at low voltage, those CPU cores can be sold for more money as higher end models. My 4700MQ probably could have been sold as a 4900MQ. If there was a problem with the cache, it might have been reduced from 8MB to 6MB so it ended up as a 4700MQ instead of a 4900MQ. Sometimes it is just demand that dictates what model a CPU will become. Intel sold way more 4700MQ models compared to the 4900MQ. Even if all 8MB of cache that was originally on my CPU was good, if Intel needs more 4700MQ models, they disable 2MB of cache and away the CPU goes to market.

That is how Intel has always produced CPUs. They play around with the CPU multiplier (MHz) and voltage and amount of cache and number of cores and then they sell as many CPUs as they can. Later in the development cycle, CPUs that need a lot of voltage to be stable are sold. Intel makes sure that their CPUs are 100% stable at their rated speed so no worries there but because your CPU needs lots of voltage for stability, it is naturally going to run hot and there is nothing you can do about that besides sell it.

Your first screenshot shows a VID of 1.1726 and your second screenshot shows a VID of 1.1055. That's a huge difference. From idle to full load the reported VID for my 4700MQ varies from about 1.035 to 1.045.

If you try to correct this problem by using a very high negative offset voltage, you will likely end up with light load BSOD issues because the C States are already designed to drop the the voltage when lightly loaded.

One thing that might work is you could set up a second profile in ThrotleStop with maybe a -150 mV offset. You could set up a keyboard shortcut so you could switch to this lower voltage profile but only after you started gaming. Use the ThrottleStop - Options - HotKeys feature for that purpose. You might be able to get away with that and then before your game ends, set up another HotKey so you can switch back to your normal profile. Beyond that, there is not much you can do. High voltage = high heat, especially when loaded.
what about some kind of adaptive load-based offset routine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.