1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TIM is Behind Ivy Bridge Temperatures After All

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, May 12, 2012.

?

Should Intel release a new IVB revision to address temperatures?

1. Yes, more OC potential is needed

109 vote(s)
    75.2%
  2. Yes, but not immediately

18 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. No, Ivy Bridge works great

18 vote(s)
    12.4%
  1. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    But if you have a 2600k/2700k, there's no reason to get Ivy Bridge.. Unless your current SB chip is a complete dud.
    Heavy_MG and INSTG8R say thanks.
  2. OneCool

OneCool

Thanks Received:
    that can be addressed without much problem ;)
  3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    You bet. I'm actually kind of hoping though, that we see shims for sale again, to make it much easier for average users to take advantage of.
  4. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    Lower power usage overall. S-B doesnt scale well in power usage once overclocked compare to I-B
    Improved Memory controller
    PCI-E 3.0 - If you want this then your getting a new board and USB 3.0 native support and other improved perks like improved memory speed support on boards.

People upgrade for farless especially the so-called Enthusiast. 3770K and 2600k/2700k are all mainstream chips. I agree if you have a 2nd Gen i-Chip there isnt much to it. Although if your coming from a 1st gen i-Chip or lower the $10-$20 dollar differance is a no-brainer to go with Ivy-Bridge.
  5. marcthpro

marcthpro

Thanks Received:
    Well this mean buyer will have to change the Thermal paste i hope some guide soon tell the buyer how to do it safely :p 4.6Ghz at 1.2V for +20$ then Sandy look Tempting for new buyer
  6. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    4.6 isn't that hefty.

However, its a good reference point at displaying differences between a single variable and stock.
  7. T4C Fantasy

T4C Fantasy CPU & GPU DB Maintainer

Thanks Received:
    the thing is if you dont already have sandy bridge go for ivy if you have sandy stick with it.... ivy bridge is close to the same price
  8. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    By the time they fix this you might as well get haswell.
  9. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    Seeing people systems specs and reading the forums I havent read many post that this will actually effect them.

Its more of a look we found an issue so we pile on and everyone seams to jump on the bandwagon to justify there purchase or lack of it.
    More like a child saying no I want same temps and same volts on I-B that I had on S-B, no no no..

I dont know, I bet 1% of people here it will make a differance to. The overcloakers that arent penny pinching. Could probably count them on one hand but then again they arent buying mainstream chips either.

There goes that theory eh? :banghead:
  10. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I know about IB. PCI-E 3.0 doesn't make a difference, USB 3.0 isn't a part of IB but the chipset. IB takes more voltage to overclock and scales about the same.
  11. sergionography

Thanks Received:
    I dont think intel would shoot themselves in the arm land do that for no reason. They just dont wanna compete with themselves. Meaning ivy bridge being equal tosandy bridge is a win for them as ivy have a tiny 160mm2 die sizes so their margin is even bigger, what ivy is targeted at is mobile, if u comparesb mobile and ivy bridge mobile u willl notice that ivy achieves much higher frequencies and not ivy ultrabooks will perform like sandy bridge notebooks which is a big improvement.
    So ivy takes the mobile market as thats what tocks are practical for as being improved process and lower power/TDP while they keep the high end with sb extreme where for thst market po wer consumption isnt as important as max overclock and oc headroom.
  12. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
  13. erocker

Thanks Received:
  14. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    17 at idle and 69 at load differance isnt exactly same

Well to say your not concern with it is one thing but saying its wasnt there is ignoring a feature and an improvement thats there.

:toast:
  15. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:

SB does 4.5 GHz @ 1.2V on avg???
  16. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    i just want to know how INTEL with the best engineers and testers miss something stupid like that?????
  17. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Maybe it was intentional? Tired of OC'ers getting stupidly high performance from their CPUs. There's no real-world usage reason to upgrade when all you have to do is plop up the clocks a few Ghz.

If you think about it, today's IB i5's at stock clock are probably comparable to a 4600mhz qx9650. So a 5ghz 2700k is probably comparable to the next gen's processors at stock clock. Basically a free 3 years of RnD.. surely that costs intel some money?
  18. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    It had to be intentional and I believe I may have nailed it with the marketers and beancounters: :)

NinkobEi says thanks.
  19. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    Yup...... Intels main competitor is itself.....overclocked last generation equal current gen.....the true ivy bridge would go toe to toe with has...a...well...full of profit for intel:laugh:
  20. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    I've been assured that they did this on purpose and it was an excellent business decision.... :eek:

I don't agree with them however. I think it was really stupid. :p
  21. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    Unless intel has a 'special' ...black/ultra/XX version around the corner without any tatical errors
  22. swaaye

Thanks Received:
    It is a mystery why they switched back to thermal paste. It must be cheaper, or easier to assemble, or there's something special to 22nm?

AMD still uses paste, I think.

To me, Ivy Bridge is most interesting in low power applications. Can't wait to see the new ultrabooks. For desktop, bring on Haswell...
  23. Jurassic1024

Thanks Received:
    Hahaha. Once I saw and posted the delidding here, I knew it wasn't a power density issue. Intel is too smart for that. Now the question is why use TIM vs Fluxless? If they used fluxless, would 5GHz be too easily obtainable maybe? I don't know, but I can't wait to find out.
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  24. Jurassic1024

Thanks Received:
    Won't happen. Two chips alone (3770K and 3750K) are not enough to justify the expense for the R&D, especially with maaaaybe a chance of a new revision. By then, Haswell will be out or close to it.
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  25. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Bullshit. A shim is a bit of metal that will brace the CPU agains the heatsink, and prevent damage to the core. NO R&D involved, jsut a couple of measurements, and cutting some metal, or even plastic.

like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can pretty much guarantee that extreme guys are gonna want one.