1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TIM pads

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by imperialreign, Mar 5, 2010.

1. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have run into a bit of a conundrum . . . I need to re-apply some AS5 to my GPUs, as they've been starting to overheat recently, but the problem I know I'll face is in dealing with the TIM pads on the VRMs and DRAM modules. These cards have already been apart once before, and a good portion of the TIM pads were already falling apart . . . enough so that I had a hard time "packing" it back together and "re-activating" it with some isopro . . .

I've found a couple of sites where I can get ahold of sheets of TIM pad material, and cut to fit . . . but, for starters, I'd have to wait for these retailers to get a new shipment of stock - not to mention the price is a little ridiculous for what they are, and I really have no idea what kind of TIM padding it is, either . . .

So, brings me to my question - anyone have any known good "alternatives" for replacing TIM pads? Any other easily accessible material that performs equally or on par? Any "creative" solutions?

2. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Non conductive TIM, like MX2? Your GPU will like it too since they're known to provide better results than AS5.

3. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought about using a more "paste-like" TIM substance . . . but not sure how well that would pan out on PCB chips.

4. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
  5. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I havent head of any as good as the pads, I have used copper shims but it was a large pain measuring thicknesses..(basically copper flashing from home depot)

I would never try to bridge the gap with TIMs(not what Tims were designed to do) and if you are using AS5 (I like MX2 a lot better) be REALLY careful not to let it get on any metal traces (shorts)

I have some of that and its close the thickness of a thin piece of paper, he would have to stack a bunch of piece to fill the gap.

6. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Oh whoops, didn't realize he needed to fill in gaps. I thought it was just sticking it back on.

Try some MX-3? It's fairly thick and the temps are a taaad better than MX-2. It'd def be less of a mess than AS5.

7. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I kinda leary about using any paste ontop of the VRMs and DRAM modules - as mk pointed out, there's usually a pretty thick gap between the cooler and the chip . . . much more of a gap than most paste can manage - besides, I'd be worried about any paste "migration" towards the legs of the chip as well.

I'll keep the copper flashing idea in mind, mk - if nothing else, I work in a shop, so cutting pieces to adequate dimensions shouldn't be a problem . . . then I'd simply stack them and either solder or braze them together . . . but, it sounds like a PITA.

I think I'll let this thread marinate for a day or two, see what other ideas crop up - it's still looking like I'm going to have to go ahead and simply order some TIM pad sheets . . .

8. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
  9. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I dont think they like ebay links here..

(I was thinking that was a killer deal till I saw its just a 1" square piece)lol

and imperialreign there are many different thicknesses of copper flashing, I went to a local metal store and got several different thicknesses (gave them to me for free as scraps).. The trick is precisely measuring the gap between the surfaces (I used a bit of playdough to get close)

10. TotalChaos

TotalChaos New Member

Thanks Received:
    MKmods says thanks.
  11. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    sikusi thermal tape and a piece of copper or aluminum thick enough to bridge the gap