1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

time for a little this and that (NEW GPU and PSU?)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ASRockIQ, Jan 24, 2011.

1. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

so as far as my system is what should i get? i was looking into a 6850 and was planing on selling my two 4850s i have here. would my PSU be enough for one 6850? i would think so. ran fine with two 4850s in CF

also, should i be considering in a new CPU? why i ask is cause mines a Athlon II. though it's fine but does the extra Cache make a difference far as if i OC my CPU a little more which i do plan on doing soon. think a little more OC will go a good ways
  2. I see SPY!

I see SPY! New Member

Thanks Received:
    A new(single) graphics card like the 6850 would fit nicely in your system- less power consumption, noise, and scaling problems.

Although your cpu certainly lags in comparison with newer cpus, it's still a quadcore. If you can overclock it a little bit or just leave it as it is.
    The alternative would be to buy a 6-core but then you'd only be getting +2 cores... not the best investment in my opinion.
    ASRockIQ says thanks.
  3. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I agree with SPY. That 6850 would be a good upgrade and at the same time cut power consumption, so I see no reason to upgrade your PSU right now. And OCing that CPU a little more will release the power of a 6850 if you do decide to get one.
    ASRockIQ says thanks.
  4. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks guys. i can OC my CPU to 3.5-3.7 (Maybe) with no problem. i plan on hanging on to my PSU a little longer. has no problems at all but i do plan on going with a better company hehe maybe Antec or corsair