1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Time for a new HDD?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by repman244, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Really? This is my last HDD failure.
    WD Hard Drive - Bad motor - YouTube

Clearly an animal or something got stuck in there. :roll:
    Believe it or not, it did start to spin up normally again but a long SMART test gave me a particular LBA that it was failing on so I sent it back with a print out of the SMART failure. Got the drive back in 6 business days from the day I sent it out.
    repman244 says thanks.
  2. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    That sound was hilarious :laugh:

Anyway, I bought the Seagate drive I was talking about - it's working superb.

I plugged the Samsung drive back to my controller a few days ago and ran benchmarks again - with same results.
    Today I was checking the Seagate for SMART errors again and ran the benchmark on the Samsung again with this result:
    [​IMG]

WTF is going on here, the seeks are almost normal now (a few spikes here and there but nothing close as it previously was), compared to the last benchmark run:
    [​IMG]
  3. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Good advice. HDAT didn;t work for me though, I used Vivard and HDD regenerator to fix my bad sectors. I had a bunch and the drive was totally dead.

Since fixing it, i have been using it for about 3 or 4 months with no problems.
  4. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    Ok so after a few days of waiting if the drive will totally fail....the drive decided to work normal :laugh:

There are no new read errors and the performance is back as it was when I first bought it.
    I'm really clueless of what was going on, I'm 100% sure it wasn't the cable since I'm running the new drive plugged into it with no issues.
    It's not the southbridge either because I was still getting read errors when I plugged the drive on my controller :shadedshu