1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Time for a new mouse

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Raw, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    Well, my Logitech MX518 pooped the bed for good. I was just talking about what a great mouse it was a couple months ago. Matter of fact, I repaired it and posted some pics here at TPU back then.
    See my old posts for photos. Now it seems the sensor is dying. I tried cleaning it with alcohol and q-tips. It doesn't seem to help.
    Ah... it's been around a long time and I am itching to try something else anyway.
    I will save it for parts, the cable is in great shape. The internal switches all work, etc.

Anyways, I am looking for a new mouse and I read the reviews here. Most mouse reviews seem a bit old but the Razer DeathAdder got my attention because TPU gave it a perfect score of 10.

Although that is a old review. The new 2013 model is different. Different sensor anyways.

Now I have always had a preference for lazer mice and corded USB. But I have never used anything but Logitech. So Razer will be new to me. One of my sons swears by Razer products and he uses the Razer Mamba now because it's wireless for his good gaming rig.
    He also has the DeathAdder and likes it a lot but it's on the shelf at the moment collecting dust.
    I don't think I would like the wireless as much as corded although he tells me it is just as accurate, fast and flawless as the wired.
    But I have a Logitech wireless optical mouse on a different machine and I hate it. It's just not accurate and seems to lag.
    So what do you guys think? Is the Razer DeathAdder model 2013 a real good gaming mouse?
    The specs say it is but there is some negative feedback on it on Amazon.
    I'm ready to order right now.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  2. Warrgarbl

Warrgarbl

Thanks Received:
    I can only tell you that my Razer Imperator, which I owned for a while, was a disappointment, and I am wary of anything Razer because of that. My Imperator soon developed a habit of doubleclicking all the time, which always had to be solved by disassembly and cleaning with contact cleaner, as well a squeaky mouse wheel, (slightly) sticky feet and a somewhat strange tracking beheviour which I can't really describe. It just never felt very precise during slow movements.

I used to have an MX518 too (<3) and currently own the Logitech G700, and despite my reservations about the wirelessness of the mouse it has proven to be really great for me. However, I also have use for the extra buttons due to WoW - you might not need that. The shape is great, tracking is very good and having no cord actually feels better to me now. I never had any signal trouble and I have no discernible lag, so if you liked Logitech it would be an option. Try the G9x though, it feels really comfortable for me although I never actually used it.

Apart from that I recently bought a Corsair M65 for gaming at work (I am allowed to do that in my breaks :p) and the tracking as well as gliding on that mouse is absolutely fantastic - and I love the sniper button. However, I find it not that suited to the claw grip which I use, and the right corner of the side panel sometimes makes its presence felt. Other than that, the buttons are nice and I have nothing to complain about.

Hope this helps.
    Raw says thanks.
  3. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Abandon all hope, this thread is about to get real freakin messy with zealots and doomsayers.
    Just buy a mouse with zero acceleration, that fits in your hand, and provides you with buttons to dispatch men's heads comfortably.
    If it looks shiny and black and cool and looks like a warship, kudos to you.

Yes, the deathadder got 10 because it's sensor isnt inherantly retarded. Other mice also feature such a sensor.
    I strongly recommend you walk in a shop and put your hand on the mice to see if its comfy.
    AlienIsGOD, Raw and Warrgarbl say thanks.
  4. Warrgarbl

Warrgarbl

Thanks Received:
    Also, what he said. Mouse selection has a lot to do with personal preference, although there ARE bad sensors - and the dpi has nothing to do with the perceptive quality.
    Raw says thanks.
  5. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    THIS. Always this.
    Raw says thanks.
  6. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    The Razer Deathadder is a great feeling mouse. I like the way it feels when I use it. Too bad I don't own one. I am more of a palm grip person and that mouse appears to my hands to be more suited for those who like the claw grip. I personally like mice from Steelseries - Lazer Ikari (that died) and Diablo 3 mouse (a Sensei - currently using).
    Raw says thanks.
  7. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    claw grip users also tend to like the G9x, I find my hands are too large for the mouse' length.
    Raw says thanks.
  8. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    I also own and use a Logitech G5 (the blue model, I used to have a brown model before that) that I love to death. I love the feel, the weight, the style of mouse, everything about it works perfectly for me.
    It is of course, real old. Yet it still keeps on ticking.
    I hope it never dies but it will of course, someday.
    Anyways, I just went ahead and ordered the 2013 DeathAdder.
    The price was good and all, so we shall see.
    I mean, come on, TPU and a 10 rating.
    I just has to be a good mouse.
  9. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    G400(s) is very nice if you liked the mx518. The driverless 1000hz out of the box is especially a step forward. Just don't expect it to hold up that long, because the Mx518 was a very durable mouse (expect the cable which you had to fix every now and then). Well, the only flaw I could say is that it's still very heavy (like the mx518 was), so if you Ok with only 3 buttons, perhaps you can try the 100s is, which is also superb mouse.

Or go for a Zowie if you want some change.
  10. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    No zealots or doomsayers so far...lol.

No zealots or doomsayers so far...lol.

quote: Yes, the deathadder got 10 because it's sensor isnt inherantly retarded. Other mice also feature such a sensor.

really? that's the reason?
    I must not have read way deep into the TPU review because I don't remember them mentioning that.
    Let me go back and re-read the review, slowly......
    :D
  11. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    I'm personally partial to the Logitech G9x. Buy has a CoD version here, and Amazon still has some.
    Raw says thanks.
  12. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    G700 and you all know why!!!!! [​IMG]
    Raw says thanks.
  13. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Intellimouse Explorer 3.0
    Raw says thanks.
  14. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    Lol.

On another note, a good thing to do is go to Best Buy and see if you like the feel of some of the mice they have there. I know they have Razer and Logitech display models (at least at my Best Buy). Then go buy what you like online!

On another another note, just cave in an buy the Razer Deathadder 2013. The only gripe I have about it is that it doesn't have on the fly dpi change button. I need that button since for example in Battlefield 3 I like my dpi settings higher when I'm in a tank rather than on foot. Other than that its a good mouse.
    Raw says thanks.
  15. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if serious, the IME3 was one of the best mice ever tbh.
    Raw says thanks.
  16. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    My Cyborg RAT 7 just goes on and on and on after over 2 years....

I had a doubleclick sindrome once during couple of days (dust for sure), it just went away and never came back. ROCK solid.

On the fly DPI is awesome also.

I am not marketing this, it is sincere feedback :)
    Raw says thanks.
  17. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Since you already were using the MX518 you might look into the G700 or G700s. The shape is very similar(I loved the MX518/700 and G7 shape and therefor love the G700 shape). I know you said you prefer corded, so the G700 gives you both. If you plug it in with the USB cable it will work as a corded mouse, if you unplug it it will work as a wireless mouse. Sometimes you can get lucking and find them refurbished, I got my G700 for $40 from newegg refurbished.

Alternatively, the G500 is a good mouse with basically the identical shape as your old mouse. And if you really want optical instead of laser then the G400s is the mouse for you.
    Raw and Chevalr1c say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  18. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    G500 is a good mouse for the budget. Im on my second one after accidentally spilling hot tea on the other. Never had a problem with my G500 (new or old) till i decided to take it for a swim.
    Raw says thanks.
  19. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I Love my G500
    Raw says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    It's a bit older but the G9X is a fantastic mouse.
    Ahhzz and Raw say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I got this for my hubby for his birthday and he loves it so far! [​IMG]
    Raw and Chevalr1c say thanks.
  22. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I recently gave my G5 a break to family duty after years of service for a UtechSmart 8200. Was on sale for around $35 when I bought it about a month ago. Amazing mouse. Great feel and heft with weights, more buttons, better grips, handles better and the G5 was my favorite of all the mice I had tried over the years until this one. It handle sooo much nicer! And it's right around $34 at newegg right now! Def a huge value!

I highly recommend it!

[8200 DPI, AVAGO ADNS-9800 Chipset] UtechSmart Hig...
    Raw says thanks.
  23. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    looks like a deal!
  24. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    So I heard. At one point I even considered buying that mouse but never did.
  25. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    There is really no point now. It's outdated and better mice (no port OC required, better wheel, better feet, etc) are out there with the same shape.