1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Time for new browser? IE6, 7, Opera, Firefox?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Guttboy, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Guttboy

Guttboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Everyone!

Well I am thinking about going with a new browser. I have IE6 and was contemplating IE7. I have read some folks using Firefox and Opera..etc....

What are the advantages about leaving the MS browser? Disadvantages?

If I go with something else...can I still leave IE on my computer and run the other browser if I like then I can go back to IE if I dont like the new one?

I would hate to mess the computer up as I use this laptop for work but I think I may be ready to take the plunge!

Any and all advice, pro's/con's, cool things...etc...are appreciated!

Regards

:)
  2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I do like IE7 and Opera 9. I primarily use those two, some people love Firefox, but I tried it and didn't like it. IE7 is like a spruced up IE6 with tabbed browsing, Opera is a great browser that uses tabs, has memory to keep the windows open you don't close when you close the program, etc. Hope that helps!
  3. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    don't go to ie 7 it uses too much ram, firefox is much better
  4. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Firefox. It's clean, easy to use, powerful, and generally secure. I like it :).
  5. Guttboy

Guttboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Generally secure?
  6. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Opera has shown to be more secure, Firefox got a bad wrap a few months ago but I am sure they have since fixed it and made it way more secure and stable. Firefox is good, I just don't preferr it, Opera has a more graphical interface, and is easy on the eyes and easy to use, and I don't believe it hogs too many resources. I don't have issues with IE7 hogging resources, but others have. You may want to try all three (IE7, Opera and Firefox) to see which one you like. That would be the best route Guttboy. If you don't like it, uninstall it and try the next one! :toast:
  7. Guttboy

Guttboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK so it does not mess with the IE already installed? Basically you can have more than one browser if ya like?
  8. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I use both IE7 and Opera9, genrally both open browsing different locations with multiple tabs open. I like having options and those two provide a good mix. :toast:
    Guttboy says thanks.
  9. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    gotta agree opera is a kickass browser, i prefer it over all the others, dont know why more people dont use it. . .
  10. Jonnycat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use IE6 most of the time, unless I want to view flash content, at which time I use FF. Tried IE7, but didn't like it.
  11. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I use IE7 and Firefox. Tried Opera, but just didn't like it. I couldn't configure it exactly the way I wanted it. I have Firefox exactly how I want it tho.

I actually rarely ever use IE7, I have the IE Tab extension in Firefox. It allows Firefox to use the IE7 engine to render, if you need it to. Basically runs IE7 within Firefox.
  12. Darth_Pewee

Darth_Pewee New Member

Thanks Received:
    alright, i'll give my $.02 here,

i used to be a large IE user, i mean i never thought of using something different... but then i was at a friends house the other day (about a year ago) and was using his machine with Firefox, and fell in love with it... the program has so many things that you can do with it, it has a search bar, that is equipable with any search field from almost any website you can think of... in mine i have things like Ebay, amazon, google, youtube, Wiki, uncyclopedia (for a good laugh), and just many things like that,

also like i said, it has so many things that you can add on to it..

here is the selling point too, im a large M$ "fanboy" and i would recommend this to anyone that asked....

Raymond~Darth_Pewee
  13. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    no matter what browser you use you need IE7 for the new security features it gives you so download it.

i have found most "other browsers" actually use explorer to run them so to be honest you are still using IE6 or 7

these other browsers give you different user interface and features but you still need the underlining engine of IE

use anything you find you like but still keep the latest MS browser for your computer.
  14. Atech New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can safely assure you that any Mozilla based browsers and Opera do not rely on IE.
  15. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    firefox does this too, its just not set to it as default

[​IMG]
  16. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I personally use Avant, it uses the IE rendering engine(IE6 or IE7 depending on what you have installed) but uses it's own UI and has a bunch of useful features already built in.

I suggest you just try each one for yourself and decide which one you like the best. See which one has the feature set you like the best and which one you are most comfortable using, then just use that one.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  17. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    i used to swear by IE but now i am a Firefox fan specifically because of all the usefully extras and add-ons available for it. Another neat feature of Firefox is should it crash when it restarts it restores to the last page or pages you were viewing, Opera is a good easy to use browser but it lacks the features available to Firefox and the interface isn't very neat either.
  18. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    opera ftw
  19. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    i find opera has a lot of stuff built into it, the left popup panel is handy, now got tpu search in the search box, mozilla doesnt have the features i use on opera but still use it from time to time,
    [​IMG]
    just stay away from interfect exploder!
  20. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    I'me very fond of firefox, especially with the Blue Ice theme. I think it makes it very clean and uncluttered.I tried Opera, and see why people like it, but it's not for me. IE7, well frankly I think it's appalling. Let's put it this way - when I use firefox; I don't get spyware, when I use IE7; I do get spyware.

Attached Files:

21. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    go with SAFARI! ... anyway, with a browser, just try out the ones you're interested in. browser preference is just an opinion for most people, so go with whatever you want. but if i was gonna pick for you, i'd say firefox!
  22. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I love Opera 9. Used to be the preacher for Firefox, but I got a recommendation to try Opera, the day it became freeware sans-ads, and have used it ever since. I've tried going back to Firefox (when running Linux and being too lazy to install and reconfigure everything) but I just couldn't take to it.
    I think I prefer the all-in-one program, for sheer convenience. It's why I actually preferred Mozilla Suite to plain old Firefox & Thunderbird.

Oh, and about security, it changes with popularity.
    The more popular a piece of software becomes, the more people will target it and find security flaws, which are in every piece of software.
    IE has so many security flaws, because more people target it.
    Firefox is gaining popularity, meanwhile, it's also having more security flaws found.
    Opera is relatively safe as it doesn't even have the user base of Safari in some cases. Although once it's more popular, it'll be a target.
  23. Atech New Member

Thanks Received:
    We all know that security through obscurity quantifies as real, tangible security, and that no other factors, such as say, code auditing, are the real factor as to whether software is secure or not.

Of course, the Linux kernel wouldn't be as secure as the NT kernel if the Linux kernel was more popular. Not with RSBAC, the NSA's SELinux, grsecurity, PaX etc. Nope, not at all.
  24. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
  25. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I have both IE7 and Opera installed, however I mostly use IE7. I've always been an IE user, and even with 6 I never got the problems most people were talking about. I've tried Firefox but don't like it personally. Opera is nice and doesn't hog as many resources as IE7 but I still like IE7 and I don't have any problems with it.