1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Time for new rig

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Da iLLeZt TL973, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Da iLLeZt TL973

Da iLLeZt TL973 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey everyone its time to build my second rig, i have a few parts in mind and just wanted some feed back on my selection thus far here is a list of what i came up with so far:

Case
    Antec Three Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower

Processor
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz

Motherboard
    ASUS Maximus II Formula

Memory
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB or OCZ Flex XLC 2GB (2 x 1GB)

Power Supply
    ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ700 700W ATX12V

Graphics Card
    VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870

does anyone see any problems as far as the memory would concern with the motherboard??...the cruicial mainly catches my eyes for the led's lol but if i had to i could live without it. Does anyone know if that PSU will be too big for the case?....please chime in let me know what your thoughts are on this build, nothing to crazy but nothing to bland

2. Da iLLeZt TL973

Thanks Received:
    dam no one?? :(

3. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I could be wrong as Im not an avid ASUS user by any means, but IIRC they dispised the Crucial D9's.

I really hope Fits or Cold Storm see's this to correct me if Im wrong.

Fitseries3 says thanks.
  4. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    asus boards hate crucial ram yes.

i have a brand new pair of OCZ platinum that work excellent in asus boards. im trying to sell them.

those tagan psu's arent very good. i'd say get a pc power and cooling. the best ever.

everything else looks excellent.

5. SANEagent New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an Asus P5Q pro and it runs fine with the Crucial Ballistix Tracer ram.

Might help a little...I wish I had that MB!!! A bit too much for me though.

6. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    <<<< This guy isn't a huge fan of small cases anymore. Many heat problems are avoided by going with a larger chassis. Other than that I've been rolling on 4870/E8XXX since July, and I have not looked back.

7. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why even get a Antec 300 with that setup? go for something bigger and like Binge said, avoid heat issues ;)

8. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    I'm a fan of the CM690, it's the king of airflow and has plenty room:

[​IMG]

Apart from that, everything looks good, if you plan on overclocking then I'd go for the E8600 due to it being the E0 stepping and you could probably get 4.4+GHZ on air with it. I would also go with the 4GB option for obvious reasons, and a cheaper motherboard (I think the high-end ASUS ones are overpriced). Maybe the Biostar Tpower P45.

9. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    cool system , but only tip is i see sapphire chose for 4870 and why you chose core 2 duo . it is good right but everything going to quad now , try some quad like q6600 g0 or q9450

10. Da iLLeZt TL973

Thanks Received:
    thanks everyone for the responses

fitseries3- thanks for the heads up bro i guess i can look away from the tracers now, even though someone stated they are running the tracers with their asus board i dont want to risk the troubles

Binge and aCid888*- the reason for the Antec 300 is the size i dont want nothing too big being that im running out of room inside of my bedroom maybe i will just settle for another 900 who knows.

oli_ramsay- im not a big fan of the cosmos bro lol if anything i may end up with another 900 but as i was told from a few 300 owner, when you use all the extra fan slots the cooling is very good so idk i will look into it more.

hayder.master- hey bro im not sure i want to even push quad on this system, its mainly going to be used by my girlfriend anyway most likely the new board and processor will be placed in my computer and she will take what i have now :D...as far as the graphics card goes any real reason why you would choose sapphire over visiontek?....my girl works at best buy and i can get the visiontek at a nice discount lol

11. Da iLLeZt TL973

Thanks Received:
    ok guys i read some reviews over at newegg on this case a an antec 300 case thread over at xtreme systems, i have come to the conclusion that it will either be this case or the 900 i cant leave antec the look is gorgeous and the cooling is amazing not to mention the solid structure, i would go for the 1200 but i dont want to cram up my room too much so that will come once i get my own place. as far as the processor goes im going to stick with the 8500 for the simple reason i wont be doing anything to crazy here once i get the 1200 i will go alllll out, the memory i just might end up going with the OCZ im not liking what i hear about the tracers and the asus boards so we'll see what happens there

21 in college full time + working full time + car hobby + computer hobby + bills= :banghead::slap: :eek::roll:<<<------MEEE lol

12. Da iLLeZt TL973

Thanks Received:
    here is what i came in the mail today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]