1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Time limited trial software

Discussion in 'General Software' started by anchoryanker, Dec 3, 2006.

1. anchoryanker New Member

Thanks Received:
    I recently purchased and installed some software after trying out the 30 day trial software. The thing is, i tried it a couple of months ago and when i was done I completely reinstalled it and I have cleaned and defragged the registry since then, but when I downloaded it again and reinstalled it it immediately told me the trial limit had expired and to put in my activation code, which I did.

I was thinking about it and was wondering how the software companies do that, do they use some sort of rootkit or brand your computer in some way? if I try out alot of different trial software can it start to impact performance?:wtf:

2. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    There are either still keys in the registry, and this is the most likely. Or some file remains.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  3. anchoryanker New Member

Thanks Received:
    I noticed this with some sony software, do you think they used a rootkit?

4. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    No. just probably a random generated registry key.

Thus unknown to the user unless they can backup the registry, install it, un-install it, then compare registry dumps.

5. anchoryanker New Member

Thanks Received:
    so what would be the best way to remove it? a regcleaner didn't seem to work.

6. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    search the registry for the company name and delete those keys if you feel like that is safe.

I have done it but woudn't reccomend it.

7. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    Regmon, or FileMon from System Internals can help here, by showing you WHERE on disk &/or the registry the installation is writing data to (files on disk, or registry hives (also files too)).

The COMBINED utility of theirs, new one (consolidates the functions of RegMon & FileMon into 1 package basically), ProcMon will do also... probably the best choice.

Get these tools here (Microsoft site now):

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx

:)

* Should help you 'circumvent' this, via spying on the apps @ INSTALLATION, & WHILE RUNNING THEM AS WELL (especially @ startup is where you want to pay attention to them), as these tools basically, DO, tracing file operations of this application's read/write I-O!

APK

P.S.=> If the key for the reinstallation NOT being fooled by the entries the program makes @ install & tracing it as you first will/should do here?

Then, You may have to run the app for a bit, & see where it's READING from @ startup mostly & pursue those file/registry entries this app's using to count times used/how long used, etc. et al... that's most likely the KEY here... apk

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006