1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Time to buy a sub woofer!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Irish_PXzyan, Jul 24, 2010.

1. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Polks American so might be a issue powering ( but just noticed some thing :) ).

To me Polk is like Tannoy in quality and sound. Reputable is a understatement i had a issue with mine and they just sent the single part and all was fixed.

And some A/V's come with dual sub ports now as i am sure you know.

Anyways hopefully some one can confirm it. Does this look compatible with UK voltages ?.

You could send them a email about it and make sure. Kinda curious my self and will email them anyways.

Attached Files:

2. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    none of the polks are...mine is the same as yours 120v only

3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Thats what i thought until i had seen that 250v part on the back of it. He could get a converter but i've never tested the power usage of mine lol.

4. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Ahh! Didn't remeber the EU part, DOH! :slap: I'm sure there is something that can be done, Polk CS is unbelievably awesome so they should have a definate answer :) The 250v has me wondering if it is as simple as a cable swap??

I'm aware of the dual sub out's, wish i had tham on my AVR (Yamaha htr-6290/RXV-1900) then i wouldn't need to daisy chain my boom boom's :roll: Plus i would have a lil' more "tunability" ;)

:toast:

5. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps I am better off waiting a while!
    I don't want to get a big woofer with lots of watts. The receiver can output 500W max so I must not go to high.
    I do want to get a full 5.1 setup once I move out :D So I must keep on eye on my wattage usage!

I will have to keep checking out ebay for some better options if I can. also I will stick to European based products! I don't want the hassle of another power converter and an american receiver :p

One thing is for sure! I want a TANNOY sub :p

6. sttubs

sttubs

Thanks Received:
    The powered subwoofer will not draw any power off of your amp, it has it's own powered amplifier, just plug it into an outlet & you're set.

Irish_PXzyan says thanks.
  7. robn

robn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually bought one of them from that shop ...and was really impressed!

Sure I'd really love a full tannoy setup (used tannoy Reveal monitors with Cambridge amp in the studio and they were very very good), but the LTC (no brand essentially) is a bit of kit I'd recommend. It is plenty loud ...used in a high ceiling room at least 5m square. The 10" driver hits proper low notes (larger cones will resonate lower, but not to say necessarily sound better). For the price, I'd say yes.

8. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Just putting it out there that i wouldn't recommend a Polk Audio sub. It is definitely not even close to being the best bang for your dollar.

Subs like the BIC-H100, Velodyne VRP1000, Velodyne VX10, or Dayton Sub-120.

As someone who has a full 5.1 of the Polk Audio RTi Series and sampled all their subs i can tell you that for the money the polks are remarkably weak when compared to some similar online offerings as far as subs go.

-That being said that you're in Europe I'm not sure if you'd be able to run any of those subs lol

9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Weak ?. Keep in mind there a hell load cheaper than Velodyne are and easier to get hold of and a un touchable customer service.

Love to have a Velodyne but not i'm not rich so.

10. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm debating adding a sub to my PC setup. I got a recommendation here to pick up the M-Audio AV-40 which I love but a little more bass would be nice. Would it really be worthwhile to add a 10" Polk with my AV-40?

Sorry for the thread jack. ;)

11. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Cheers for the responses lads!

12. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Question for the sub-runner's out there:

What setting's are you guy's using? I have my AVR crossed over @ 60Hz with all speaker's set to LRG, on the sub's i have the crossover's @ the lowest setting (~40Hz) with gain's @ 3/4 and i adjust sub level through AVR as needed....

Sorry for the O/T :eek:

BababooeyHTJ: IMHO it is always better to have more on hand than you actually need as you can always turn thing's down to get the sound you're looking for. Plus if you feel up to it and have the equipment/time you can co-locate the sub's to equalize room resonance's for a flatter response....

:toast:

13. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Well I only run satellites so mine is set to small. So mine is crossed over at 200 if I run the YPAO calibration. I was actually fiddling with it today and have the option to set it to both, tried that lost any decent low end response. so then I fiddled with the crossover and well at least for my matched set letting it send pretty much all of the bottom end thru the sub was the way to go.

14. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    What kind of speakers do you have? What kind of sub do you have? Typically crossovers tend to be set at 80hz all around for the speakers because that's THX level.

15. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Here ya go, not the best pic's but hey.... http://forums.techpowerup.com/showpost.php?p=1903615&postcount=12

I try to keep the crossover as low as possible to reduce boominess, 80Hz in my room doesn't sound good, too boomy/farty. 40Hz is not enough bass so 60Hz is what work's for me. I like my bass like i like my women: clean & tight :p

16. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    What is crossover anyway?
    Mine is set to 80hz.
    What will happen if i lower it??

17. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:

It is Hanging loose and Full of Juice. If you must know :laugh::slap::rockout::eek:

18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:

Crossover is what you would typically found in side the speaker box and is used to balence the sound of the speakers in that box.

Higher or lower there's a good question but it depends on what your listening too like if a movie 60-80 is about right in your case but if with music ya might want to try as high as 150 but that depends on what type of music and your preference too.

Like i was explaining to you a few days ago about speaker stands a good pair that you can full up with sand with tighten the bass which can make the sound seem to move though the room. With yours being front ported i have noticed in the passed that can change music your think ya stoned and think your hearing things because the sound gets clearer you can hear other sounds that would other wise be masked by a slacker bass.

19. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
  20. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    I had two of those in a 12 x 14 foot room :) Enough to shake the blinds and get the cop's attention as they heard it perfectly from over 200 yards away lol.

But despite the large peak power, they're an amazingly punchy and tight bass they just miss on the really low notes because iirc they're an 8" speaker.

21. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    @Craigleberry hahaa!!! lovely :p
    Mine is hanging a bit to the left for some reason today!

@AsRock Thanks I will have to change it when I play some music! See if I hear anything better :p
    Oh! What about when playing games??? Should I leave it at 80hz?

Yea I will certainly buy some good stands and fill them with sand!
    Will I have ta run to the beach and get a bucket and spade and collect lots of sand ;) !!

lol! Well should I change the 2 speakers and put them into a different slot?? Or is the front the way it's meant to be?

@freaksavior Looks awsome :p

@jasper1605 lol jayziz! The poor cops! You had a 500W sub in a small enough room!!! jayziz man! Are ya off your medz!
    I want it now :p

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  22. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I have my rig hooked up to one of these

[​IMG]

Audiophile at its finest!

23. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    hah that's fecking deadly :p