1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Time to upgrade, advice needed.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 15th Warlock, Oct 23, 2007.

  1. 15th Warlock

    15th Warlock

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2004
    Messages:
    2,691 (0.74/day)
    Thanks Received:
    950
    Location:
    Visalia, CA
    Hi everyone, I just decided its time to upgrade my aging system, and would really appreciate if you can help me on choosing the right mobo.

    I'm getting a Q6600 G0 stepping from ClubIT and plan to OC it over 3Ghz, plus 2 x 2GBs sticks of G.Skill DDR2 1000 from the egg, and a Gygabyte Odin 800Watt PSU. I also decided to wait a little bit for the 8800GT to be released, due to its awesome price to performance ratio.

    Since the 8800GT isn't out yet, I had decided to get the mobo, proc, PSU and mem this month, and keep my expenses under $1000 dollars, so the wife doesn't complain too much about me wasting so much money instead of getting a new sofa for the living room.

    The thing is I cannot decide which mobo to get, I was really leaning towards the Asus Maximus Formula X38 based mobo, as it supports 1600Mhz FSB and the latests procs to come from intel next year, but it lacks official SLI support, and has only 2 PCIe slots, and now with both Ati and nVidia pitching for a third video card for physics acceleration, dunno how much of a problem that could be in the future.

    The other alternative is to wait for nVidia's 780i chipset based mobos, which are supposed to be released on November 12. Those have official SLI support, 3 PCIe lanes, will support 45nm procs, but lack official support for 1600Mhz FSB.

    My question is, should I get the Asus mobo right now along with the proc, mem and PSU, or should I wait a little bit more for the 780i to come out, take into account that I have to wait for the release of the 8800GT anyways to use this new system for gaming. If I wait for the 780i I would be able to split the expenses to around $800 in October, and around $600 in November, thus keeping my wife from bothering me about the sofa.

    What do you guys think I should do, any input will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Snipe343

    Snipe343

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2007
    Messages:
    1,002 (0.39/day)
    Thanks Received:
    34
    if you have to wait for the 8800GT just wait for the 780i also
  3. 15th Warlock

    15th Warlock

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2004
    Messages:
    2,691 (0.74/day)
    Thanks Received:
    950
    Location:
    Visalia, CA
    Thanks for the advise, do you know when the 8800GT will be released?
  4. 15th Warlock

    15th Warlock

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2004
    Messages:
    2,691 (0.74/day)
    Thanks Received:
    950
    Location:
    Visalia, CA
    No more love from the TPU forumites?
  5. keakar

    keakar

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2007
    Messages:
    2,376 (0.89/day)
    Thanks Received:
    292
    Location:
    just outside of new orleans
    15th Warlock says thanks.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guest)

Share This Page