1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

time to Upgrade the womans PC

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by alexgroove, May 11, 2009.

1. alexgroove New Member

Thanks Received:
    just wondering what would be the most cost effective move here, see my wife's only use for a pc will be for internet browsing, email, myspace, youtube and such, occasional Itune music downloads, and microsoft office for her schoolwork. NO GAMING what so ever. she mainly wants something that will allow her rapid internet browsing ( using windows XP 32bit ). right now she's working with a dell gx270 (Small Form Factor) pc, i believe it was made in 02 and is completely stock. its got a 160w psu that has never given me any issues that i can recall. basically want to know if this case will still be useful say i were to tear everything out and replace it, or would it just be more adventitious to just grab another case and build from scratch? she a modest user and probably only spends 1-2hrs a day online.

looking for someone to recommend a good mobo cpu combo along with ram, hdd, rom drive, and another psu and case if needed.

2. Duxx Guest

Provide a budget, and the newegg checkout carts will start flying in.

Edit: I assumed you are in the US... is that correct?

3. alexgroove New Member

Thanks Received:
    trying to keep it 200-300 range, even less would be better. shes your typical run of the mill type chick. BS's with her girls on myspace, downloads a song here and there, and does her school work. nothing nuts here. will be using good old XP. just looking for something with a little speed which im sure will be apparent which ever path we decide to take given that her system is severely outdated. oops i forgot to mention i've gone ahead and ordered her this http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0294063 hard drive from microcenter so it looks as if i am covered there, Unless somebody tells me this would be a horrible choice for whatever reason, then id cancel and get something else. just looking for something cheap and effective. and yes! California.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  4. icon1

icon1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
  5. tony5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    look at neweggs hdd's many to chose from.

6. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    In my opinion, return it. You can get a comparable SATA Hard Drive from newegg.com for the same price with Better Performance.

7. tonyd223

tonyd223 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if it works - why upgrade? Just pack in the board limit of RAM and a faster HD - upgrade it like it's a laptop and it'll last a few more years - my lady still rocking a Athlon 1.6GHz laptop with XP Home original install and she's happy with it - if she wants more speed she's got user accounts on my other machines...

8. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
  9. craigo

craigo

Thanks Received:
    Hi Alex,

I would probably add some more RAM to the gx270..hide it behind the desk and spend all teh upgrade fund on a nice monitor, good keyboard and mouse and an interesting usb hub for her desk...

if you spoil her with a new rig that asus barbaric linked to is awesome and will last a long time

BarbaricSoul says thanks.
  10. alexgroove New Member

Thanks Received:
  11. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I can understand your concern there. You can get this with that bundle and still be within your budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703016

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. alexgroove New Member

Thanks Received:
  13. fire2havoc New Member

Thanks Received:
  14. alexgroove New Member

Thanks Received:

tell me about it, just picked it up today. while a fry's i ran across this http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/ads/2009/05/08/42391/Intel-Pentium-Dual-Core-Processor-E5300-Asus-P5KPL-CM-Motherboard deal too and wound up grabbing that as well, along with these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220174 guys for another $24.99. so not bad at all. all i am missing now is a hard drive, and a dvd burner. any suggestions on those are welcome.

15. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    HDD - SATA WD320AAJ's for 49.99+Free Shipping Link

CD/DVD - IDE LG 22X DVD±R DVD for 22.99+Free Shipping Link